SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Stuart Walters
926 Posts
Hi all, been a good 10 years plus since I was into slots and on this forum!

The recent lockdown had me dig out some of my old track to play with the kids and the love for slots has come rushing back in!

After a playing with small scalextric set ups in the house it was time to throw together a wood track that can be set up and taken down after use in the garden and stored in my garage. Lesson learnt from my 2 previous tracks that I had to destroy due to moving house! This will be completely movable!

The plan is for a simple but fun track with a monster straight with a large banked bend at the end which leads on to small technical section leading back onto the straight. I wanted to make use of scrap bits of wood in my garage to keep costs down and the design simple enough for my kids to race it without constantly crashing.

Here's what I've come up with after a couple of hours routing:

20200624-171046.jpg

20200624-171030.jpg

Total length 25' x4' wide. Straight length is 20'. I don't know what the lane lengths are and I'm not worried about them being equal, this is just for fun!

Next I need to get an 8'x4' mdf board for the technical section at the back. The plastic track will fit nicely on the board (for me to trace ready for routing) and should leave an easy join on to the straights.

50% of it is routed but the remaining 50% has lots of curves. The straight that's not routed yet has a couple of wiggles in it so not a flat out straight like the back one!

The track will be split into 4 modules with flush joints. Each joint will have a biscuit cut and glued (on one side of the joint) so the track level meets and then the joins will be clamped together from the underside.

Terrain will be limited but to a decent standard, some of you older forum members might remember my previous tracks linked in my signature!!

Thanks for looking in
smile.png

·
Tel
4,065 Posts
Glad to hear the bug is back, progress looks good :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Amazing work from someone with only one eye. As is the case with the majority of us who are at home slot racers, space is the great limiter to our dream track. A modular track that can be assembled form several pieces for racing on then disassembled quickly and stored away is a great asset. I have tried this with plastic track, but the climate changes where I live wreak havoc on the steel rails. A routed wood track may fair better, and from what I have seen is a lot smoother for the cars to operate on. I would be interested in seeing a picture of how you plan on securing the sections together? And would this track be run at ground level or are you planning to raise it up on legs to race on. Thank you for posting the pictures and progress of your track. I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out,

·
Stuart Walters
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha! Thanks Zipp

Each section will be biscuit jointed to keep the surface level true (but only glue one side of the joint). Then on the underside of the track there is a piece of stud timber at each end that will be clamped together with quick release clamps.

My poor attempt at a diagram!

joints.png

The copper tape for each rail will wrap around each section where I will solder some wire with male/female crimps for quick connections.

Hope that makes sense!

I should be working on the track again soon so progress pics will probably explain more!

Thanks

Stuart

·
Registered
40 Posts
Looks great 1 eye. I'll be in touch soon m8 & yes would defo be up for a few laps on that & likewise with mine once built & housed etc.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I notice the bike by the garage door, is that to use when going from one end to the other to retrieve cars? :)

·
Administrator
9,796 Posts
... and, if you're in a shared residence, are you recruiting other slotters, or are they getting annoyed because they can't leave the garage?

I have a friend who lives in an apartment building with garage stalls kind of like those, and he was tempted to build an outside track...

Don

·
Stuart Walters
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@gate88……hahahahaha! Great shout!

@primed……The track breaks down into 4 sections. In theory I could add any number of sections I wish with the way I'm making it.

@dgersh.......Once finished the track will be put up in my garden. My garage has no power so anything I can do with battery tools happens at the garage as although the garden is big enough for the track, its also small enough to be difficult to work on 2 sections at anyone time. Hope that makes sense!

Managed to clear the garage out a bit and worked on the track storage. I want all the sections to be off the floor to avoid damage:

IMG-2469.jpg

IMG-2472.jpg

I'm hoping to make some good progress this weekend as the wife and kids are away! biscuit jointing, legs and maybe a lick of paint.

Thanks for looking in

Stuart

·
ParrotGod
8,237 Posts
Can you share some pics on how the track pieces are secured to the wall?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts