SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
redstar
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,first a 1/30th scale marx prototype of an indy car that never went into production.the body is unique & the chassis is modified.the next car is very special.its a 1/32 scale chevy crash car.its hand painted.the motor inside the hood is the top of the marx hotrod slot car.there are no clear plastic windows.on the bottom it says model # 3072-b with the date of 12/9/65.so when the cars front end bumps something the hood pops up & the front sides pop out.maybe this was in reaction to the eldon crash jalopies.anyway it never went into production.the last car also never went into production & may have been the last attempt by marx to produce a slot car.it is a 1/24th scale vac body thingie.it uses the regular 1/24 frame etc they had already made for their 1/24 production cars,but with extentions for the vac body.it is labeled model # 3276 #2,made in 3/21/67.the market was already gone so marx made a decion not to make anymore cars.thanks,bernard

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Great looking car's, I love the hood popping model, it looks great fun, such a shame they never went into production. Thanks for sharing. Kind Regards Jason

·
Administrator
9,654 Posts
Excellent stuff Bernard! I'm not sure if Marx was that well known in Europe, but it was one of the biggest toy companies in the States and they tried just about everything - and even had a sort of slot car set in the 1930! (I'm sure that's in your museum somewhere).

From what we've seen pop on on ebay in the last ten years, seems they had an R&D department that looked at just about everything on the market and decided whether to copy it or not! The stock car is a good example; and that "Indy" car also looks a bit like a Vanwall, but in any case isn't that far from their other open wheel cars.

But I find that Marx 1/24 Thingie slightly incredible - what were they thinking? I know a few of these came up on ebay a few years ago. I thought I remembered they had a different type of chassis. Anybody know if the others were the same as this one?

Anyway, we're lucky that these Marx prototypes survived and that you managed to get some of them!

Don

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
Bernard,
Great stuff! The guy who bought most of the Marx stuff at the 1982 bankruptcy keeps selling the bits one per one, and you will, I am sure, be able to add to your museum as sales keep going.
Yes, they are not the prettiest, but who cares, it's great stuff!

Marx was also allied to the Marusan tin toy company in the mid-1950's, issuing very beautiful and large tinplate windup and electrically powered cars under the Linemar trademark. Here are two examples, a 1957 Ford (14" long) and a Lincoln Continental (12" long).

It is kind of bizarre that they did not revert to these companies when they began their slot car racing adventures, because their Japanese suppliers certainly had much better taste!

So Atlas and Faller got the Marusan slot cars.

Here is another Marx slot car prototype in the 1/32 scale (well, more like 1/29th!) that was never issued, later used as a friction toy:

I had it signed by its former driver!

·
redstar
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
don,its hard to say what they were thinking when they designed the 1/24th thingie,they had made 2 others but they were ho.perhaps they wanted in the paid 1/24th race tracks all over the country.phillipe,thats a cool prototype.you are right about it being made later as a friction car.those tin marusan cars are very nice.the most interesting marx prototypes i think are the ones i put in earlier under "more marx prototypes".these were made before their 1st slotcars & you can see where they were going in 1961.thanks,bernard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts