SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Alan Tadd
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only 10 years seperate these cars in real motor racing history. They all competed at Le Mans in one form or another, but the technological differences are vast. Probably one of the reasons this period of cars is so popular with Slot car enthusiasts.

As some of you may be aware I tend to build my cars in batches, (saves waiting around for paint to dry!), and I've just finished these three :-

The first car is a 1959 Lister Jaguar. This has a Classic Fibreglass shell modified to accommodate headlight units and covers. Really easy to do with a cone shaped grinding tool. Covers are lexan moulded under heat and cut to shape. Fixed to the body with Micro Kristal Clear PVA based adhesive. Headlights are Scalex Mini Cooper units from Slotbug. Chassis is PCS32 from Pendle with Scalex running gear. The wonderful wheels and inserts are from BWA and the tyres are Scalex GT 40, the rear doing a fair impression of Ortman's by virtue of being soaked in an oil-bath for two days. Decals are Homemade.

The Second car is a 1965 Porsche Carrera 6 started out it's life as an Airfix kit, and has been modified to accept a scratchbuilt PCB chassis, which uses a MOTOGP motor in a sidewinder setup with Slot.it Spur gear. Wheels are Scalex GT 40 with inserts made from the kit. Guide, as with all these cars is a TSRF Fly/Scalex replavement unit. Decals from Patto's.

The Third car , a 1970 Porsche 917K, is again a modified Airfix kit running on a PCS 32 chassis, with Scalex motor, and Fly Wheels. Decals are Patto's.This car is actually quicker on my short twisty Sport test track than any of my Fly (non-mag), 917's, so much for inlines being outdated!.

Regards

Alan

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Too good!

I need more modelling time!

Q: How does the Moto GP unit work power, response wise when compared to standard size motors?

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
VERY nice work, Alan. The finish looks brilliant! I like them all but especially the Piper 917. Which brand of paint did you use?

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Alan Tadd
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the comments chaps.

JP here is an early shot of the Carrera Chassis, which uses a MOTOGP motor in a sidewinder form :-

This is a VERY early shot as no finishing work had been undertaken, so it's a little rough to say the least!.

The chassis is a very simple PCB flat plate, with an extended guide bracket to take the TSRF Guide. I left the Motor on it's mounting bracket and then placed a small packing piece under the rear of the motor. This had two effects :-

1) It allowed the Scalextric motor to mesh with the Slot.it Spur at the correct Axle height.

2) It allowed an air gap beneath the motor to prevent overheating.

The motor is attached to the chassis with two part exoxy.

The axle is mounted in brass tube which is attached to the chassis plate with PCB shoulders.

Russell...I'm afraid you are to blame for the 917...I only built it after I had seen one of your excellent Schematics you publish every now and then.

Paint on the Lister and Carrera is Tamiya British Green and on the 917 it's a FIAT yellow and Audi Red. The Lister has yet to have it's coat of Klear as the decals were still drying.

Swiss, the performance of these tiny motors, (yes John they are tiny!), is very good. I understand that they rev to about 23K and they do seem to have plenty of low down "grunt". The small pinion seems to mesh very well with both Slot.it Inline Crowns and Spur gears. I do have one of these motors with a 64DP gear set to try, which Russell kindly let me have, I hope to use one in a future Mac Pinch F1 car, so I'll let you know how that performs. I assume this is now the same motor that Scalex are using in their new F1 Williams and Renault?....I understand they are quicker than traditional Mabuchi's?.

Regards

Alan

John...I would have started the track today, but it snowed.......

·
Registered
545 Posts
Splendid work Alan! I was going to say I love the... but the more I look at them the more I would love to have all three. Well done.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Fantastic Alan, beat me to the sindwinder motogp set-up, I was going to try that on my resilient resin TR59/60 but I've lost the body

Great colour used on the lister and Porsche, is the Porshe from a 1:1 racing livery?

The airfix / pcs32 chassis is proving to be a popular combo. I've started this 250LM from Sebring 1965...

·
Alan Tadd
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Marlon.....The livery is a real one, from the Daytona car.

Nice 250, I've got a couple of these to do, but their a little way down the Project pile.

Thanks for your comments Jay...You're DVD's are done by the way, in the post on Monday.

Regards

Alan

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
I just ordered the decals for the 917 at Pattos and can't wait to get working on the car.
Do you really think I should convert a Airfix kit or a FLY car?

·
Alan Tadd
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK Jay...I can take a hint....
...I'll pop a sheet in your parcel.

Rene...Difficult question. I have to say that fitting the PCS 32 chassis to the 917 is not the easiest coversion I have done. There are several problems to overcome. The first is the very low frontal area of the 917 body, it does make fitting a body mounting strut very difficult. I ended up fixing a nut directly to the inside of the shell with two part epoxy and using a bolt through the chassis to attach.

Secondly due to the inline nature of the chassis, there is no room for any interior, so I'm afraid you have to use flat card and "representation" of a driver, (I used an old Scaley "head and shoulders" driver).

Having said this I prefer the body shape of the Airfix kit to the Fly shell as it seems to represent the original in more accurate way, the "tumblehome" curve of the bodyshell is much more pronounced on the Airfix car, I guess because the Fly car had to accept the more or less generic Fly Classic chassis.

The choice has to be yours. The easy way out is to use the Fly car.

Incidently this car is a much better choice of a third car to join the Fly David Piper set than the car they actually sell.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
29 Posts
...very nice work Alan. I like very much the rims of the Lister.
...All look fantastic. Congratulations !!

kind regards
juan

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Great work Alan - lovely looking cars.

Agree with on the Sandeman Porsche being a better choice for the Piper Trio.

BTW - Piper is down here in RSA this coming weekend along with a lot of other 60/70's cars - going to have a look see - will post pics if anyone is interested....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts