SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,266 Posts
This is my first try at a Hot Rod. Someone suggested an aluminum chassis won't fit in a Hot Rod. It's either scratch-brass, aftermarket, or nothing. Hmm...

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Tool Font Wood Rectangle Auto part

Aircraft Vehicle Fender Toy Airplane

Another experiment besides the build itself was the paint. I came across a can of Tamiya transparent red. Candy-Apple red is transparent red over metallic gold. Rather than take my chances, I experimented on the chassis that wasn't going to be used for the build. Metallic gold base with clear red over top.

Automotive lighting Wood Auto part Fashion accessory Personal protective equipment

That worked well enough to continue the paint process. Metallic gold base.

Shoe Wood Automotive design Beige Tints and shades

Two full coats of transparent red over one coat of gold created this shade of red. It would get darker with each coat.

Chair Font Peach Carmine Automotive design

The huge grill was screaming to be chromed. The Molotow chrome pen is amazing.

Automotive lighting Automotive design Rectangle Carbon Silver

Some Hot Rods have the guide exposed or hidden by something added to the front of the car like a reservoir, etc. The challenge for me was to hide the guide without adding to the car.

Wood Wheel Metal Auto part Household hardware

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Sports equipment Automotive design

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sports equipment Automotive tire

Chassis assembled. Roller bearings. RS Slot wheels. D'Art tires and inserts. Slot.It guide. BWMS050 motor. 10x23 gears.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Toy Motor vehicle

The guide swivels just under and behind the grill. A pocket had to be machined to provide paper thin clearance. It moves freely without touching. It can't get any closer.

Wood Audio equipment Office supplies Eyewear Office equipment

Automotive tire Tire Gas Household hardware Wood

A first look at how it sits. A bit high at the back. But our club has a 54mm track width restriction so I can't slam the back of this car even though I want to. Shame.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive design

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Toy Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Driver and number added. Stanley Slotrod has a Hot Rod. The bottom of the grill clears the track by 1mm. It's close to being directly under the axle. The grill won't touch the track even while racing. It does a good job of hiding the guide.

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Thank you very kindly for looking.

Attachments

· Premium Member
767 Posts
Hi Ken, You may find that the limited guide rotation will result in some handling issues.......60 degrees left/right should be a minimum............and you also may find, that chassis' with the guide behind the front axle, handle,.... differently.

Cheers

Chris Walker

· Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chris. Thank you very kindly for your comments. They are very much appreciated.

I've raced the car several times and it is indeed very "different" as you say. I would be worried about the guide travel if the rear of the car would slide out. But it barely slides because the guide is part way between the front and rear axle helping the rear stay in place. The front wheels tend to be dragged around the corners if you drive too slow. You need to push the car to the point that the back slides out just a little. Then it runs smoothly through the corners. It will bicycle out long before reaching end of the guide travel. It simply won't tank-slap.

I knew this car would not be competitive. I knew it would be at a disadvantage when I started. I made it in honour of my father that passed away last year. He had a 31 Ford in a simular colour. I just enjoy casually racing the car, and coming in last with this one. Plans are in the works for a slightly better Hot Rod soon enough. The 32 Ford will then partially retire as a back-up car.

I had to try the guide behind the axle just to see for myself what that does. The experiment was a success from that standpoint. Now I know.
smile.png

· Senior Slot Car Mechanic
2,221 Posts
Nuther cool build....

I have no issues with guides behind the front axle......Here's another way to accomplish the same thing on short nosed cars........

Just move the pivot to the front of the guide, drill a hole in the pin, and, the front of the guide, and, crazy gloo them together with a short length of piano wire......

Composite material Gas Automotive tire Wood Road surface

Wheel Door Tire Household hardware Wood

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Attachments

· Jim Moyes
6,528 Posts
Looks more like a '34 grille shell.

· Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you very kindly for the information. Old cars are not well known to me.

The Hot Rod class at our club is only restricted by 14x5 wheels, and your BWMS 050 motor (my personal favorite).

We generally use any body we can lay our hands on. Specially the Lindberg/Lifelike/Pyro kits. Cheap, cheap, cheap.
thumbsup.gif

· Registered
1,556 Posts
On man, sweet! That's just killer. The stance alone made my day.

Great vision and tidy execution. Feeler gauge clearance between the grill and the track? We must be kindred. LOL.

I always have a Model A hotrod or two going. Albeit in H0, when the fenders fall off (oops) the same build problems follow regardless of the scale. With either an altered or conventional wheel base, I dont like a bunch of clutter out front . That "neat-nick" mandate to keep the naughty bits out of sight, demands that the guide/pick up is tucked in altered or conventional form. I have to plan all the other aspects of the build to get the tail around. The push, for some push.

If your not governed by roolz, cubic inches and gearing is the best way to kick the tail out. When combined with independent front wheels you may be leaning towards neutral at the corner entrance with a tucked guide, but throttle on over-steer is easy to induce with a flick of the finger. If you plan it from the get go.

Dont fan the pan idea just yet. Ive been enlightened to some hidden attributes. Sure, the pinched nose and wide butt of an A carcass dont lend themselves to a conventional pan as we know it, but there's nothing that says you cant shear away the forward area of the pan. Shaping the ballast within the footprint of the build triangle provides a natural pendulum effect that works well with the big cubes and indy frontset-up.

jY5Q3HQ.jpg

I stumbled around on some early versions until the 20 watt bulb came on and I decided to inlay the pan.

https://www.hrwforum.com/forum/hrw-scale-forums/hrw-ho-scale/339-model-murdering?p=43290#post43290 The rest of the truck.

· Registered
1,911 Posts
I have eyed that same aluminum stock at the hardware store myself.

Actually I had been considering to use it as a master for a cast resin chassis. You have given me the inspiration to proceed; incorporating my resin motor adapter plate.

· Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Al. Those are one of my favorite wheels. They made this car a success as far as I'm concerned. Thank you!

Too bad they are no longer available. You made some super nice wheels, and some sizes no one else makes. The retail market is not an easy one. Most people understand.

The Mini is powered by your BWMS 050. Thanks again!
biggrin.png

· Registered
1,911 Posts
My 1:1 avatar is unfortunately long gone.

Sold to a collector long ago. I have dreams of creating an electric Mini using the guts from a Chevy Spark EV and a GRP body sourced from the UK. Problem is it will take about $25k to accomplish the project and probably could not ever register it for road use in Texas due to the current vehicle laws.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.