SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to 馃惛 Frogeye's superbly crafted resin body, I've finally managed to get this project underway today. This is a model of the lightweight, alloy-bodied car that first appeared in 1960 - the result of co-operation between Porsche and Carlo (originally Karl) Abarth's Milan-based outfit.

It was a very successful car and kept Porsche competitive in the GT class, which it won at Le Mans, 1960, first time out at the Sarthe.

Anyhow, another slot build is on the go, and I thank you for your interest, as usual.
Vehicle Car Hood Toy Automotive design
White Hood Toy Wood Plastic
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Car Vehicle

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Matthew. The bodyshell, exhaust and wheel inserts are now drying on the dining table. Mrs Grumpy will be 'pleased'.

Will now wait for a couple of days before continuing.

My grateful thanks again for your interest and time.
Office equipment Corded phone Office supplies Telephony Audio equipment

Registered
As a closet perfectionist, surely it would have been quite easy to cut and wedge open that rear panel?

Registered
Laurence
Hope you don't mind if I post my build of the Abarth here on your thread.

This came from a rough casting taken from the Protoslot kit bought on the bay. It needed extensive repair work with damage to the arches and wings. I added the windscreen wipers and scratchbuilt the exhaust prior to casting. Also vac formed the windows.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive design

Land vehicle Tire Car Vehicle Wheel

The engine cover flap was made from plasticard. I didn't think I could cut out the resin neatly without losing too much material.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Toy

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive design

Thank you for looking.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Absolutely fabulous slot car, Michael. Wonderful and thank you for mine. Looking forward to getting my version running around the Mess - possibly next week.

Our weekly meeting this evening. Looking forward to running the Auto-Union mountainclimber.

The ol' Porsche collection's coming along nicely.

Registered
Hola Trisha,
Has puesto dos im谩genes de tu resina en una vista frontal, pero cinco en una vista posterior. Deduzco que le das importancia a ese panel lleno de lamas.
Mi pregunta es 驴Qu茅 har谩s con los pilotos (贸pticas) traseros?, 驴pintarlos, cambiarlos, ...?

Hi Trisha,
You have put two images of your resin in a front view, but five in a rear view. I gather that you give importance to that panel full of louvres.
My question is, what will you do with the rear (optical) lights? Paint them, change them, ...?

Frederic

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Frederic

It's only a personal view but I've always felt that most, but perhaps not all, cars look best from the rear three-quarter view. I suspect that this has much to do with my own psychology having spent much of my life at places like Tertre Rouge.

Nothing quite like seeing, and hearing, a meat-starved apex predator having quaffed, wibbled, schtreaked fluffed, oomphed, gromped, boomed and screeched upon entering a fast corner, and then howling, growling and yowling into the night, lights ablaze.

On top of this I love the louvred rear of the Abarth-Carrera. Can't think of many Porsches I dislike, actually. And just before you cite the Cayenne, it's bl**dy horrible!

Registered
驴Has probado alguna vez a hacerlas con restos de 贸pticas reales?
Veo que las de arriba son dobles (rojo/naranja) y eso es una dificultad a帽adida. Las de abajo son planas, m谩s f谩ciles.
Sin quitar las que lleva la resina, puedes intentarlo y ver谩s que te quedaran bien.

Have you ever tried to make them with the remains of real optics?
I see that the ones above are double (red / orange) and that is an added difficulty. The ones below are flat, easier.
Without removing the ones that the resin has, you can try it and you will see that they will fit you well.

Frederic

Registered
Frederic

I

Nothing quite like seeing, and hearing, a meat-starved apex predator having quaffed, wibbled, schtreaked fluffed, oomphed, gromped, boomed and screeched upon entering a fast corner, and then howling, growling and yowling into the night, lights ablaze.

On top of this I love the louvred rear of the Abarth-Carrera. Can't think of many Porsches I dislike, actually. And just before you cite the Cayenne, it's bl**dy horrible!
What you describe happens at Quarry Corner at Castle Combe. It鈥檚 not a fast corner and you don鈥檛 get night racing, but there鈥檚 a vicious bump in the braking area which always creates interest!
By the way, the Mac-Can is horrible too鈥..

Mike

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Frederic

The thought of trying to fit rear lenses to this Porsche reminds me of the time many years ago when I tried to ride a unicycle. The bruises and swellings remained long after I regained consciousness.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mike

Combe is a wonderful circuit to drive, as I'm sure you know. A bump or two in the track surface just increases the fun, especially at high speed. Llandow, near Cardiff, was similarly bumpy years ago.

Pre War cars frequently developed the most extreme 'axle-tramp' that was horrible to watch, but I imagine it's probably been civilized and tamed in recent times.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts