SlotForum banner

Would you like masterclass a place to post 3D related subjects and methods and body's

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Slot King
2,684 Posts
Rastas, thanks for being positive about the whole thing.
You could have a number of threads such as :
  • Files and links to files for printing
  • Tips and tricks
  • Printer problems
  • Consumable problems
Then if those get really busy, you will have all the info you need to convince the mods that something else is required.

Joel

·
Registered
555 Posts
Always lots to learn.
Resin newbie. I tried minimizing support contact and got a fail since there wasn't enough strength to pull off the FEP (I presume).
Best recommendation for supports that don't leave divots? I am ok sanding nubs but filling divots in a brand new body is very annoying.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
3,224 Posts
Resin printing can be frustrating.
If the first layer is sound and bed adhesion is strong the next problem will be the ends of your supports where it connects to your final print, don't fanny around with the default settings too much and stick with heavy supports.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I agree with that fully, but best we at least get this one up and running ! See you've helped chappyman66 already in a 3d dedicated thread doesn't it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.🤣🤣looking ford to hearing a lot more advice from you Kevan! I've been looking at the resin printers myself especially for the small parts like wheel inserts and motor details need to find somewhere for one .
John.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
FWIW, I think that 3D printing should be a sub-section of scratch building.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Always lots to learn.
Resin newbie. I tried minimizing support contact and got a fail since there wasn't enough strength to pull off the FEP (I presume).
Best recommendation for supports that don't leave divots? I am ok sanding nubs but filling divots in a brand new body is very annoying.
So you finally took the plunge into resin hey! Been looking myself, hope to see you get the teething areas sorted and get some prints mastered and posted here!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I thought there was only 7 or8 people interested in 3dp !!! Yet 15 have voted yes 1 no and 1 on the fence ! Great thank you for your votes . If anyone has any questions or concerns regarding 3D printing feel free to ask and if you want to show off you latest print or failed prints and try and find out what to do to fix it please post here and I am sure someone will make an effort to help out .
John

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yes I took the plunge into resin.
Somewhat undecided yet as the process is messy and I remain unconvinced of the benefits....yet.

My first body, Alfa T33/2:
Automotive design Hood Helmet Input device Bumper

Just need to get rid of the divots on the rear panel from the supports.
Hood Motor vehicle Toy Automotive design Automotive exterior

I don't care about the interior of the shell, but filling a freshly printed body is not something I want to do, given the futzy process. I have to do it on FDM prints but that's expected. Doing it on resin makes me unhappy. Do I need a larger contact point to make sure I get a nub instead of a divot? Sanding them down is fine.

The challenge has been inserts...specifically Lola and Ferrari wires. I have a plan for the wires which I think will work.
I want these:
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Tread

But printing flat is not working....no spinners and very little definition. They are only 2 mm tall, 11.5 mm diameter.
Will printing on edge (standing up) work better? I am thinking I might have to do the two pieces separately and glue the spinners on unless I solve it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I will have to wait for awhile and see how you go before I take the plunge, the inserts is the main reason for me thinking about it ,I watch in anticipation! I finally got some 0.2 nozzles but haven't got round to doing any inserts with them yet, after printing that McLaren I will have to get and change it and see how the motor comes out. I would like to do a 3dp 1/24 F1 .

·
Kevs Racing Bits
3,224 Posts
I want these:
View attachment 284087

But printing flat is not working....no spinners and very little definition. They are only 2 mm tall, 11.5 mm diameter.
Will printing on edge (standing up) work better? I am thinking I might have to do the two pieces separately and glue the spinners on unless I solve it.
Some resin printer have 'transition layers', the Photon Mono X has them and you can't do anything about it. Transition layers are the initial base layers (I think it's 12) that are over cured to ensure good plate adhesion...unfortunately this means thin prints like inserts are crap, you'd get better results with supports but they would use more resin that the inserts themsleves.
Maybe printing them at 45 degrees would work, it's not something I've tried to properly sort out.

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
Kevan has read my mind I was going to say lift the insert off the build plate to ensure you get supports under the spinner ears, you may have to add supports for the ears by hand.

Are you snapping the supports of or cutting them?

Try printing the body at an angle as you may need less supports for the rear and front valances as the layers tend to overlap better.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts