SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't of hand see a single posting covering 3D print problems as help so here goes.

Has anyone done any rein printing with clear resin and got good results? I have tried using Anycubics clear plant resin and before washing the print does look clear but when I have washed them either in IPA or soapy water they cloud over. I've also found them to be very brittle but that could just be because the clear resin needs a much shorter curing time.

Electric blue Plastic Rock Transparency Font

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
No experience with clear printing, sorry , but your question has me wondering what the plant based resin is like.

Can you comment on the smell, clean up, and perhaps what settings you are running your resin printer at. Is it a regular LED screen or a mono screen?

Cheers

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using an Anycubic Photon with standard LED. There is a bit less smell with the plant resin but I don't find the smell of either that bad more effect from the fumes as I tend to get a bit of a headache if I'm around the resin for to long. You can clean the plant resin with soapy water but i still tend yo use IPA. Setting wise I have so far tended to use the default apart from increasing the bottom exposure time as I've been quite happy with the results so far or at least until everything stopped sticking to the build plate. Now I'm just waiting for some warmer days so I can try out one of the new tanks I have bought. Don't think it's the LED as I get a fairly solid piece of resin on the film.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for the info. I bought the Photon Mono and the regular resin doesn't bother me at all. I switched to a floor cleaner called "Simple green" for washing parts as I found the IPA the most unpleasant part of the whole process. I give the parts a soak in an enclosed container of IPA as my final finishing process.

I cut back on my bottom exposure time as I read this where the LCD screens suffer the most. If you are finding your print sticking to the FEP it may be too much bottom exposure. Some claim to be getting away with bottom exposure times only 4 or 5 times greater then their normal exposures.

Mono screens can handle this better, but I cut mine burn in times by 30% and am still getting successful prints.

Cheers

Dan

·
Greg Gaub
15,140 Posts
I've only used Elegoo Standard Gray resin and Siraya Tech Blu Clear in my Elegoo Mars Pro. Comparing the two, standard is easy, clear is a PITA. I don't relish printing in it again. But, it's not "standard" resin, either. Their "Blu" formula is supposed to be stronger than normal resins. In the couple things I printed with it so far, it looks absolutely gorgeous until it's washed and cured... when I don't have a fail. Once I wash it and cure it, it goes yellowish. Also, the support locations make it look terrible, much worse than normal resin.

But, my experience is limited to date. I expect I'll have to experiment with cure times to get it to look nice and be cured enough to touch. At the same time, I will never expect it to look like it does after it comes out of the printer. That's setting the bar too high.

Oh, and the Blu overpowered my fume extraction system (pulls air out of the printer and out the window). My wife was NOT happy for days after I used it. Even after getting a room air purifier, I am hesitant to use it again. Strong odor is an understatement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts