SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
On the other site!...no man, no much time to go all around the web ;-)
Filament printer is ok Grunz, just tune your printer profile or ask Chappy to share his profile for Cura, that’s how I have printed the last of my files and pieces are smooth enough😉

·
ParrotGod
9,447 Posts
At this stage i am not convinced that I would be happy with the level of details I would get.
The question remains if a resin printer can print good quality chassis.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Grunz, a resin printer could certainly print a chassis. The question is, is there a resin available that can withstand the rigors of hard racing? From what I've heard, that's not yet a possibility, as many resins are too brittle. Technology is improving daily, however, so who knows what's going to be possible in the future?

·
ParrotGod
9,447 Posts
I do not want to hijack the thread here.
But if resin printing is too brittle for chassis then how can we expect the body to withstand crashes (no matter if digital or analog racing)?
TA71 seems that is taking some steps in this direction (flexible high-detailed resin bodies).

·
Registered
522 Posts
I am experimenting with blends of resins to develop a combination that is flexible/strong enough to withstand a crash, yet capable of providing the level of detail I want from a slot car body. Others on the various threads of the 3D forum have talked about combinations containing Siraya Tech Blu, which are apparently strong enough for a race-ready resin printed body.

I have half a printed Maserati Birdcage model (bad slicing on my part) for which I used a combination of 80% Elegoo ABS-like resin and 20% Siraya Tech "Tenacious" resin, which imparts a flexibility to the print. The good half that resulted can withstand throwing onto a concrete floor and bouncing back. That's just the body shell, not a complete car with chassis, which would of course be heavier. Nevertheless, I think that that combo of resins will be perfectly acceptable as a body shell capable of enduring the minor crashes of regular slot racing.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would agree that judicious choice of resin can provide quite reasonable bodies. Chassis are a different design challenge as stiffness is required in addition to strength and torsional properties.

·
ParrotGod
9,447 Posts
So you can also mix different resins in a resin printer? Interesting.
Yes, with chassis, a filament printer could result in a print that is too flexible.

·
Registered
522 Posts
An FDM printer with an all-steel hotend can print very stiff material such as Nylon or ABS, both of which are ideal for chassis. They require high temperatures, both in the nozzle and bed, but properly equipped, there's nothing difficult about printing structurally tough chassis parts, including guides and wheels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts