SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Greg Gaub
16,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A convenient little case to store and dispense woven copper braid, typically used for slot car pick up braids.

Audio equipment Wood Laptop Gadget Font

Braid sold for slot car pick ups is often sold in 1 or 3 meter lengths that you need to cut yourself. These lengths are usually sold with no container, as a loose coil, which can be a PITA to put back where it goes pretty much every time you take it out to cut a couple pieces off. So, I designed this little case to hold it and easily dispense it, and it fits in a convenient place in my slot car box that I take to races.

Getting the coil started on the hub, and then putting the case together can be tricky. I'll update the model if I come up with a better way to do it that doesn't make things too much more complicated. I'd suggest just getting the end into the hub, then putting it together, and then rolling it up by holding the hub on both sides with your fingertip and thumb and “rewinding” it by holding the case in your other hand. It can take a few minutes when you're coiling up a fresh length of braid, but at least you don't have to do that every time until it's used up. ;-)

·
Greg Gaub
16,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you? Got a photo? The floss containers I'm familiar with wouldn't work very well as a dispenser, but maybe a small container to stuff the coil into?
Anyway, the model is free to download and print. Floss containers are free once you've used the floss. Whatever works for you.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I very quickly was able to adapt this one by enlarging the exit hole, using a hobby knife, to accept the braid. It could probably use a spool with large edges/flanges to keep the braid neat and tidy inside the dispenser - something that Greg's 3D printed unit would do very well because of its' dedicated design. I'm not going to use my version as it is just too bulky for what it is meant to do. I have downloaded Greg's 3D files to print one of my own (y) 😀.

Liquid Fluid Tin Wood Packaging and labeling

Red Gas Wood Electric blue Font

Peter

·
Greg Gaub
16,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Pete.

I fully respect and endorse people's efforts to reduce, reuse, and recycle, but the functionality is not the same as a bespoke device. The floss container would not even fit into the space I need it to. For those without access to a 3D printer, maybe a floss container will work well for you. If so, then please enjoy.

I'll note again that I'm not selling these. If someone orders something else from me (that can't be replaced by something from the garbage :p), and wants one of these, just ask and I'll print one up for you.

·
David H
4,200 Posts
An excellent and very useful product, MrFlippant. Braid dispensers are invaluable.

For those like me without access to a 3D printer, similar dispensers are available from some slot retailers.

Material property Font Circle Souvenir Metal

·
Greg Gaub
16,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice! I'd never seen that before, probably because my LHS doesn't carry that braid and dispenser. Thanks for posting that! Even more options for the 3D-printer-less out there. :) I'm sure some that are closely monitoring this thread will be quite giddy to see that.

·
Greg Gaub
16,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks to some valuable feedback from the guys on the zoom chat last night, the design has improved in its functionality. By changing some settings in the printer, the sides of the case can be "see through" so that you can easily see how much braid you have left. Also, the hub has been enlarged enough to accommodate a standard pencil that can be used for faster loading and rewinding of braid, while still having plenty of room for a full meter. For convenience, here's the link again.

·
Greg Gaub
16,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another great suggestion has been added to the model. A ruler! The side now has tick marks every 1/8". If anyone desperately needs a metric version, just let me know how many mm you want between ticks.

Art Rectangle Wood Pink Magenta

·
Greg Gaub
16,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yet another good suggestion implemented. Rather than rely on the print settings to provide visual access to the amount of braid remaining, I added slots to both sides. I also slightly reduced the size of the hex hole in the hub so that it's less likely for a smaller pencil to rotate freely. All files on Printables have been updated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts