Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, been lurking here for a while, im a young kiwi guy whos been reading this forum for a while with not much to post. But now me and the misses have brought our first home which has a bit of a man cave for me and my hobbies. Ive got a bit of Scalextric digital at the moment which has been packed away for many months due to us not having much room to set it up. Now with the new house i was thinking of setting up a 4 lane analogue track and was wondering if any members has some good pictures of their 4 lane plastic layouts to show me to give me some inspiration.

I love creating things and doing scenery, which when i was a teenager "Warhammer" gave me an outlet to create with. So any inspiration of 4 lanes would be awesome guys.

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only thing is digital parts a quite expensive, i would like to do 4 lane digital but just the cost of the amount of lane changers etc would break the bank, atm im running a 4 lane digital set. When i brought it 6 wasnt available, which is what i ideally wanted.

Anyone got any layouts of 4 lane digital tracks they can link photos of?

·
Ian
99 Posts
Hi Slotdrift,
I'd recommend you stick with two lanes, four lane is a great idea however it takes loads of room to build leaving no room to actually layout any scenery, plus you can also plan your digital to eventually replace certain sections then just make the whole thing digital. How would I know this, well I have just gone the opposite way Here

·
Ian
99 Posts
and another thing
It's my opinion, that the the optimum Digital track is not four lanes but three, so you could add that third lane at a laterdate and not cut too much into your sceanery.... just an idea.

More like my old track here

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
I'm never one to pass up an opportunity to pimp pictures of my 4lane analogue setup. As has already been mentioned, 4lanes take up a lot more space than you realise, and depending on what room you have, there may be very little room left over for scenery.

DSCF0151 by stoooo, on Flickr

But, like others have already suggested, expanding on the digital setup you already have may well be the way to go. Remember, with digital, it need not be 4lane all the way around the circuit. You could stick to two lanes for most of it, with a bit of three or four lane as takes your fancy. That way, the changing number of available lanes adds to the challenge.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
My take on Suzuka:

Yeah, I know the bridge should be under and the straight should be kinked but I needed the track to be flat for the speeds we were doing...

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 19 Dec 2011, 14:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look at you, showing off with your grande bridge
I put a flyover in one of my 4lane layouts once. And only once. Man, that's a pain to get right.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
That will be my Grande Bridge with extension pieces! I agree that in the limit when the cars are really shifting the bridge up/down becomes critical and a limit as the cars deslot just due to the forces on them. But a bridge is really essential to even out the distances (except of course for digital)

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 19 Dec 2011, 14:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a great example of exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. But can anyone explain to me why you digital guys would choose the in-to-out CLCs ? In 1:1 racing, this manoeuver would be akin to understeer. However, I totally get the out-to-in CLCs as they compare favourably with the idea of 'late apexing'.

QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 19 Dec 2011, 14:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But a bridge is really essential to even out the distances
That's what qualifying is for

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Yeah, I should have changed them all to out-to-in, its not that difficult. But I've decided now that I hate CLCs anyway....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah i think something would with an overbridge would be nice to have a a layout, problem is if i went digital i would want cars to be able to switch onto all 4 lanes. Problem is i cant get into the house until 20th Jan so i cant measure up how much room i exactly have, but it should be enough for a 4 lane

·
Greg Gaub
14,645 Posts
IMHO, if you want analog, then go 4 lane. If you want digital, stick with two, or three in places but not the whole track. As the point of digital is overtaking, all a 4 lane track does is make it feel like another analog track with the cars all taking their own lane, or worse, all the cars taking the best lane while the rest go to waste. If you get the new Scalextric digital base, you can run 6 car digital or 2 lane analog at the press of a few buttons. The only down side is being stuck with the Scalextric controllers, or buying much more expensive ones from TruSpeed or Slot.it.

I have nothing against analog. I race analog regularly on 4 lane plastic and wood tracks with the local analog home track club. It's good fun. I also race 2 lane digital with the local digital club I'm co-founding. Both are a lot of fun. My only point is that for digital, 4 lanes is just plain silly unless you can get a dozen guys in there running Scorpius or oXigen. If 4 lanes is really what you want, then I don't see much reason to spend the money on digital, since 4 lane analog will let you run 4 cars at once. If you like the look and feel of a 4 lane slot car track, then go for it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a two lane digital track with a third being three lane looked good but nobody used the third lane as two lanes with lane changers in right places ( trial and error in placement) was more than enough passing space.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts