Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had the front wheel drive thing at wrexham earlier this year and theres a thread elswhere about the mrrc 4wd cars .What I'm asking here is whos tried 4wd in anger here.I have built one or two over the years with varying success and I honestly think it isnt worth the effort but I'll probably build another just for the hell of it Post your pics of your failed (or successful)experiments and lets see I seem to remember that Garry from MRE had one worth a look at with twin grp 20 muras(correct me if it wasnt you Garry) and I'll dig some of mine out .

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi

Ive done it. Once in 67 did a 4wd 1/24 AAREagle pro car as a challenge. But it is always the same. If you want it to work at all, you have to put very hard tires on the front with minimal traction. Sort of shedding the power but keeping the weight and complexities.

Fate

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
...and round about then I made a STP-Paxton Indy Turbo car with GT models Vacform body, 1/32 scale. All I can remember was that it went like a train round our home tracks, but was nowhere on the commercial raceways. Wish I still had it. In those days everything got cannibalised for the next project cos we couldn't afford new bits all the time. I'm looking forward to Maxi-Model's version of the car- I'd certainly like to try putting 4WD in that, just for the fun.

·
Rich Dumas
3,531 Posts
In my 43 years in slot racing I have never heard of anyone building a four wheel drive car that was actually faster than a similar car with the same motor. A cars' guide flag takes care of the front end and there is extra friction from the second set of gears.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Here's the cat amongst the pidgeons as it were:- What about multi-engine 4WD? Wouldn't that be better? I only ask because of various pictures I've seen in threads on here and becuase the bus I converted has 4WD (twin axle at rear) with one motor per axle - it doesn't hang about
Handling is quite a different issue with the bus though

Mark.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
wait for my idea or wait for me to build it. then I will comment may be some time though because tesco have decided they wouls stop stocking the right ice lollies

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
This is to Rich D who has obviously never seen my SCX Citroen Xsara.
It is light so it's very fast in a straight line. The extra tiny bit of traction makes a big difference when accelerating away. Plus, noone can touch it at Rally meetings. It's not specially modified, and with the exception of a Pro Turbo motor (like all the others are using) it's stock. Other cars competeing are all different Ninco and SCX rally cars, with a few Scalextric (all either normal RX or Pro Turbo).
As an experiment I tried running it without a geared front axel, and it was dismal. No grip, slow off the line, no noticable difference in top end speed and braking was appalling. It just wasn't the same... so I put the regular front axel back in and it still kicks ass...
Would you like a video so that you can say "I have seen ONE car that is four wheel drive and kicks ass..."? wow, and in your 43rd year...

Lotus

PS. Inte: Get some proper chassis building materials... It's all about the carbon fibre...

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE morgans dont use proper materials?

Sure they do, Inte! Dismantle one, and you can build a nice routed track out of the frame!

4WD? Tried a two-engine 1/24 back around 67 or so. Plenty of low-end power, but the car was too heavy to keep up in the corners. Top end was lower too, partly because of weight, I'm sure, but also because two motors won't peak out at the same RPM so the slower one drags down the top end of the faster one. I also put the faster motor in the front, to avoid excess rear sliding in fast turns. Car was fun but not as fast as a single-engine 2WD. Never tried single-engine 4WD.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Interesting, John! Maybe 4 of your Pink-Kar motors???

Now Grah will really be working overtime!

And the guy didn't even run it! What was the point....

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Hmmm... just checked for fit.... 4 Tomy Turbo motors would fit in a 1/32 chassis in that arrangement.... 4 hot arms.... poly motor mags.... hmmmm.....

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
....and in something like that Starsky and Hutch Torino... 2 stacked in front of each axle, two stacked behind... 8 two-amp HO motors!!

You're scaring me John with my own thoughts...

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
To combine two threads:

What about a direct drive chassis with a motor at the front and a motor at the back? That might overcome the problem of little tourqe and brakes, and maximise top end advantages. What do you think?

Lotus

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Ah! The 4-engined Hoare Mac-It Special, that raced in the 1970 Can-Am series!

I really love this 3-motored 1/32nd scale Cortina, though....

Cortina images courtesy of Superjohn.

Kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Bengt Axel's entry for the 2014 Worlds- Hoare's Macs-It Spl.

Belt-drive 4WD, spine chassis with independantly sprung axles on floating plates with torsion bars.

I think this is the way ahead. Trust me.

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Bengt Axel was a great visionary! He was born in 1920!

Great design, Howmet! Perfectly to scale for a VMG version of the Mac-It, too!

Kind regards,

Russell

1 - 20 of 23 Posts