SlotForum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up to now, I only have the one 4wd car - the SCX Delta Integrale.

I've had the car 3 weeks and until today, I haven't managed to stop it de-slotting. So far, I've;-

Fitted new tyres front and rear.
Then tried zero grip on the front.
Adjusted, removed, refitted, adjusted again the magnet.
Added weight to the front of the chassis (although the car's already noticably the heaviest I own).

Then this evening I had a brainwave. I popped the front axle out and ran the car without it. Problem solved!!
So now, I've taken the contrate off the front axle and made the car RWD. With Slot.It P2 tyres on the rear it finally drives like a rally car ought to - I've got controllable drifting around R2 hairpins.

So, Is it just me, or is the 4wd malarky just a gimick?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
No
4wd isnt a gimick and yours was doing just what it was supposed to do, your solution is incorrect small zero grip tyre on the front soft braid on the guide and remove the magnet this would have sorted the problem, if you want the car to drift YOU DONT WANT 4wd.

Zen

·
Registered
834 Posts
gear-drive 4WD pulls the front wheels out in tight turns more than belt-drive. slightly less grip up front helps this. pulling out magnets makes rally cars run like rally cars also.

·
Mark
735 Posts
my scx delta bunny hops down the straights! lol the tyres dont look like they even go around the rims proper
my autoart 4wd's run well!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (McCrash @ 18 Jun 2011, 18:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>my scx delta bunny hops down the straights!
Mine was doing that too.

·
Mark
735 Posts
glad it wasn't just my delta that has wonky wheels! lol will get round to looking at it one of these days. got to rebuild my track in the cellar first. more space!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had another tinker with it yesterday. I've now got it running 4x4 again, with the mag screwed right in, NSR Supergrips on the front and Slot.It P2s on the back.

It's still got a tendancy to de-slot, but only on the Scalextric Classic section of my layout. Hopefully that will be resolved when I complete the Sport upgrade next month.

I agree with the comment(s) above about wonky wheels. Mine aren't that good, but I don't suppose you can expect much on a £20 car.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I run 2 Ninco WRX Fords Focus. All I did was true the wheels and tyres. (Take the fronts off, true the rears, remove the rears, fit the front tyres to the rears, true them, refit tyres). throw the Ninco drive belt in the bin, or make an arm band out of it. Buy 1.5MM DIAMETER NITRILE RUBBER O-RING CORD BUY4GET1FREE cut to length, not to short, or you will bow the Chassis, super glue (Because that's what NASA developed it for) ends together, let dry, fit. rear wheels will turn the fronts, and if you get it right, fronts will turn the rear. Bingo, no de-slots. Get shot of the mag as well. Use Lead, to get a 50/50 split. Jobs a gooden.

Andy, JMHO. It works for me.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi Savior.
So what length is not to short (rubber o-ring cord), i'd like to try this technique on my Ninco Focus too, you can hear the belt slipping every time you slow for a corner.

cabbyman.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
QUOTE (cabbyman @ 26 Jun 2011, 21:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Savior.
So what length is not to short (rubber o-ring cord), i'd like to try this technique on my Ninco Focus too, you can hear the belt slipping every time you slow for a corner.

cabbyman.

Hi, with both axles in place. Thread the O-ring under one pulley, take to the other, thread under that one. Bring back. now bring the O ring together. So you should have one end between your thumb and forefinger of your left hand. and the right hand F&T holding the other. so they meet and the O ring is tight ish. Now cut the long end about the same length BACK as your thumb nail length.
I hope you understand that. That's how I did it. Now remove both axles. Super glue the ends of the O ring together. Let dry. 10minutes to be sure. Slip over one axle, the fronts the best to do first, Onto pulley. snap axle into chassis and then repeat with the rear. Be careful, you do not want to put to mush strain on the ring. If it does snap. You know it's too short and if to easy, to long. To short put to one side for something else. To long, cut out the super glued part and do it again. I got it just right on my second attempt.

Hope that helps.
Andy, wishing he had gone to be 10 minutes ago

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
There is a formula for the length

See NSCC Journal October 2007 page 22.

NSCC

·
Registered
270 Posts
QUOTE (Saviour @ 26 Jun 2011, 23:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>..............Super glue the ends of the O ring together. Let dry. 10minutes to be sure..................

I have glued O'Rings with bog standard CA, which is fine for a static app. but in this case I'd recommend a rubber reinforced CA such as Gorilla Superglue.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks for detailed instructions Saviour,
And thanks for the link Abarth Mike, i've got a bit of reading to get through there.

Cabbyman

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
QUOTE (highbarn @ 28 Jun 2011, 22:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have glued O'Rings with bog standard CA, which is fine for a static app. but in this case I'd recommend a rubber reinforced CA such as Gorilla Superglue.

I've got some P6's stuck together with superglue

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (StuBeeDoo @ 21 Jun 2011, 06:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.....wonky wheels. Mine aren't that good, but I don't suppose you can expect much on a £20 car.
It took me ages to work it out, but Tecnitoys put wheels on the Integrale that are too small.
Once I fitted 16.5mm Slot.Its the car was transformed. It's now a proper magless rally car.

..... It just looks a bit weird with the 6-spoke inserts I used, but I can live with that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts