SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
Hi there,

So the Brenner Pass Hillclimb is going to be a "casualty of a basement renovation." I will miss it but it's been several years and time for something new.

I'd like to build a two lane track but 99% or the time I happily run on my own tuning and tweaking cars. Maybe I'll build a one lane circuit but it won't be a hill climb.

One option is to take over an empty bedroom but I will only be able to fit in a 4' X 8' surface. I know there are lots of posts on this size track but I'm curious if anyone is really happy with it? Are you always wishing for something bigger? Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
107 Posts
i recently built a layout at 4ft by 9ft, although i had room for possibly 10 or 11ft in length. I'm very happy with my layout at the moment, but think that in a few years I will re-design my layout and it will probably be 4.5ft by 11ft. The thing that annoys me most though, is that I used foam board to bring the scenic areas up to track level, but I wish i took my time and instead used mdf and a jigsaw to cut out bigger panels. but it still looks fine, and i guess you learn from each experience but yeah in a few years I will be re-designing my track I reckon.

One other thing, because it was a 9ft by 4ft layout, i had to use some elevation to get a decent size track. I would be tempted if I went for a longer track to remove the elevation. Yes I would lose overall track length, but the elevation is sometimes a problem with cars that are low to the ground, they tend to come off on the transition from the ramp up to the elevated section. it dosen't happen all the time, but its a bit annoying. plus i think with more room i can focus more on scenics.

·
Old Engineer
728 Posts
I have a 2-1/2/3 foot at one end by 12 foot wood 2-lane test track, and it's a little too small. it was all I could get out of a 4x9 sheet of laminate.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My track is only about 8x3 in its current configeration and is plenty of fun. I do have another 3 sections to add which will be 4 feet each, that will be interesting too.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bill. It looks like the demolition will be in the spring so one more winter of play. For sure I'll take more shots.

Reactions: MrFlippant

·
Registered
219 Posts
I, too, had to downsize when I moved from a large house in the suburbs to a condo in the city. I went from a 60+ foot SSD track to a 4' x 8' Arc Pro set up that I can pick up and store in a closet. My first attempt included elevations, but I found it too cumbersome when taking it in and out of the closet, so I changed to a single layer and tried to make sure it had a "good flow".

To answer your question, it's fine for tuning cars and playing around. Digital makes it possible to play games and run against multiple pace cars, which keeps it entertaining. On the downside, I miss being able to wind out the motor on a long straight and I will probably want to change up the course fairly frequently to keep it interesting.

Hope this helps -- Glen

·
Greg Gaub
14,790 Posts
Time for that modular track, eh, Glen? Make it so that you have a small piece that connects the back and front with a turn. When you want a long layout, unhook that piece and put long bridges of straight track in between. :)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I'm very happy with my 4' by 9.5' track, it uses elevations to fit more in, but if done carefully does not detract from the sight lines so much. It is two lane. If I was routing something I would avoid elevations though. I am using Carrera plastic. The only downside is I wish I could wind the cars out a bit more and get some more terminal speed up. But its not too bad. I am thinking of either painting the surface for more grip (higher corner speed entering and exiting the back straight) or trying to bank the plastic a little bit for higher speed onto the straight. A nice painted wood surface would be faster I'm sure.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Time for that modular track, eh, Glen? Make it so that you have a small piece that connects the back and front with a turn. When you want a long layout, unhook that piece and put long bridges of straight track in between.
smile.png
Ha! Great suggestion. Have to think about that one. Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I seen someone post on a slot car Facebook forum, where they had a table tennis table with their track on it. Looked fantastic, and the best part was he could fold it away to save space. Think a table tennis table is 9ft by 5ft, plenty of room for a decent sized track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts