SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,
as my friend Pino (98arturo52) I would like to present here some thingies, ready for the Roncole 2012 meeting.

This year a couple of friends, affected by sudden madness
, sent me their thingies, asking me to make them ready for the Roncole meeting; I would show them to you, hoping that they like you, at least as look.

Stefano Sbravati sent me 3 Mini Dream Can-Am (one of them had the plastic chassis broken and I repared it, fixing and gluing a alluminium insert). Unfortunately I don't have the pictures of those slot cars because I gave them to him during our vacations in Sorrento in august.

The others Mini Dream Can-Am, that you can see here, are from Antonio Farina: he has 4 Can-Am ,2 with 16D motor, and 2 with 26D motor; I believe that the 26D are "Milan rewound", (maybe Nozzoli?) because they run over 50.000 Rpm. Some of these slots were without front half axle and having motor magnets with low force (I changed them with arco magnet).
I made plain the chassis, remade the front axle that now have ball bearings, setted the right gears, and changed axle for set screws wheels and mounted the right ballast.

To finish with "clients slot cars" these are the Stefano La Bostella

One of these have a Havlicek 26D!!! You can see it in this picture with the skull decal on

And now we can see my thingies:

2 La Bostella, the spider with a 26D the coupè with a 16D

Now the Mini Dream Can-Am also these with the 26d (the red one) and 16D (the silver one); the silver is all original, the body also.
Both the motors are rewound and balanced.

But the masterpieces (I believe) and the new entry of the 2012 Thingies meeting are the Monza and mainly the MONDIAL (very very rare slot car made in Naples, my region first town, in the 60').

Here you can see also the "bottom", the monza mounts a 16D the Mondial a 26D; both motor are, as usual, rewound and balanced.

THE MONDIAL with Mini Dream Mini star body.(as the original car)

The bodies are all "made by Lucio" except for the Silver Can-Am and the La Bostella.

I think I said everything about my "weapons"
for the meeting: hope to see some of you in Roncole!

· Registered
13 Posts
Thank you mate for your nice and appreciate comments!

In a certain moment in my house i had 10 of this chassis (3 of Stefano, 4 of Antonio and 3 of me) I was able to do a exclusive Mini Can AM meeting here!

Jaak, why you don't jump in your car and come with us? You are closer to Roncole that me

· Registered
13 Posts
No chassis repop for now, I know that Lucio is starting with a friend to make the plastic part of the chassis with a 3d plotter ( a machine that add thin layer of nylon and can make 3d objects); but it's just a start up for now.

However some friends in Roncole may have a chassis of Mini Dream to sell, also if it's, year by year, more difficult (the cost of a naked chassis is around 100 eur).

Maybe in a future soon i will have a complete slot car to sell....perhaps...

· Registered
13 Posts
Dear John,(I am Angelo, the one with you in the picture in top)

am happy to read something from you, and hope you can come however to the meeting (sorry my bad english didn't let me understand if you 'll come or not).

Now, about the motor rotation:

I tested all motor, before mounting, with a tachometer to see the right sense of rotation.

I made this mainly to set the correct wiring polarity; maybe it could be happened that i mounted all the gears in the same way (for my forgetfulness) but the correct rotation of motor on track is assured from the wiring (at most the cars needs to be tested, as rotation of wheels, before to run and simply change gear position).

Thank you for your attention, this also make the forum utility.

· Registered
13 Posts
Ok Jaak to answer your question (and also to say something on italian slot car elaborations):

the italians in 60' started to elaborate the Cox Cucaracha with cutting of the chassis in different ways; the main, and the more profitable, was to cut the central part of chassis to have a rotating mount of the motor, so it had can turn-up, during the acceleration, to increase the grip. (all the Mini dream production was based on this kind of motor mount told "snodo Pizzi", on wich you can see a remake in the upper post of Pino "98arturo52")

Another common way to increase the prestations was to low the chassis itself: on back it is easy (especially for inline chassis), lowering the tire diameter, in front a bit harder because the original rims.

The Cuca chassis, had from origin ball bearing mounted tires, but big diameter and not centered rolling so...why not to adopt directly small ball bearing on front axle to have lower clearance from ground, less friction and sure centered rolling?

In effect all Italian elaboration of slot car from 1967 mounted ball bearing: Cuca, Mondial (winner of italian championship in 68, Mini dream car from Mini A to Mini Can am) had simply mounted in front a pair of 1/8 - 3/8 ball bearing.

You can easily find them on ePAY, sold for few euros, from different german suppliers.

Angelo

· Registered
13 Posts
Ciao Spurman,

the answer can be easy, just telling that in all Italian vintage meetings we have a separate class of race just for the Mini Can Am; all other thingies races in separated class, in the last meeting one other class is for the 26d slot and another for the 36d.

This means that the Mini Can Am is however the faster thingie respect of all others, with 26D as well with 16D! (maybe just the anglewinders could be faster, but in Italy we don't race with this kind of slot).

To confirm what I am saying I add here the results of the two last meetings.

About the 2011 mixed meeting results, note that Giovanni Montiglio have a mini Can Am with 16D, that Jhonn Secchi is a very fast slotracer and that I (Angelo Raiola) raced with a Mini Can Am with a 26D and with a Cuca with a very good Nascar 3500 motor)

About 2012 meeting with the 3 categories see the difference between the first in all the categories and note that Giovanni Montiglio had a La bostella with a 16D also.

See also the difference between the best lap time of Giovanni with Can AM and La Bostella and the best time of the Cuca.

Angelo

· Registered
13 Posts
Ciao mates,

to say all about the front Mini Dream Can Am wheels it need to say something more.

Well, the original type of this slot car is the one that you can see in the post of edo in this forum:

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16425

They where made in alluminium and they rotate on a piece of brass tube, mounted on a axle of plastic.

On this rims originally they used a rubber mini tires; way to change this small wheels (around 4-5/8") ?

It happened with 2 steps:

1) With use of the 1/8-3/8 ball bearing with a small rubber tire like the one of Spurman;
2) Just with mounting the ball bearing without any rubber band.

In this way they had 2 results:
1) To have less friction when the tires works in curve;
2) To lower the chassis until just 3/64" of clearance, having a incredible low center of gravity!

Thats' all folks

Angelo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.