SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Thank you mate for your nice and appreciate comments!

In a certain moment in my house i had 10 of this chassis (3 of Stefano, 4 of Antonio and 3 of me) I was able to do a exclusive Mini Can AM meeting here!

Jaak, why you don't jump in your car and come with us? You are closer to Roncole that me

· Premium Member
5,387 Posts
I wish i could but i have family coming over so i can not come,
does anybody make repro's of these chassis?

Would be nice to obtain one later on and get proper Mini dream bodies for it,
it is on the list of things to get but not this year as funds are spend already.

Will bug Lucio later for some repop bodies first need to work my list of "things to do" away

· Registered
13 Posts
No chassis repop for now, I know that Lucio is starting with a friend to make the plastic part of the chassis with a 3d plotter ( a machine that add thin layer of nylon and can make 3d objects); but it's just a start up for now.

However some friends in Roncole may have a chassis of Mini Dream to sell, also if it's, year by year, more difficult (the cost of a naked chassis is around 100 eur).

Maybe in a future soon i will have a complete slot car to sell....perhaps...

· Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Was looking forward to the Roncole event and even got my CucDynaracha sorted from last year but now won't be able to make it!
However some nice MiniDream cars posted but a bit puzzled regarding the 26D's, are these special winds that run backwards?
The reason I ask is the gear as fitted would require the motor to run anticlockwise viewed from the can, seem to remember standard and most aftermarket 26D armatures ran clockwise, I could be wrong though!
[oneofwos]

· Registered
13 Posts
Dear John,(I am Angelo, the one with you in the picture in top)

am happy to read something from you, and hope you can come however to the meeting (sorry my bad english didn't let me understand if you 'll come or not).

Now, about the motor rotation:

I tested all motor, before mounting, with a tachometer to see the right sense of rotation.

I made this mainly to set the correct wiring polarity; maybe it could be happened that i mounted all the gears in the same way (for my forgetfulness) but the correct rotation of motor on track is assured from the wiring (at most the cars needs to be tested, as rotation of wheels, before to run and simply change gear position).

Thank you for your attention, this also make the forum utility.

· Registered
163 Posts
QUOTE (Odissey @ 5 Oct 2012, 17:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>No chassis repop for now, I know that Lucio is starting with a friend to make the plastic part of the chassis with a 3d plotter ( a machine that add thin layer of nylon and can make 3d objects); but it's just a start up for now.

for now it is only a project, not mine, please do not ask me more
when I have other information you can be sure that I will write

· Registered
13 Posts
Ok Jaak to answer your question (and also to say something on italian slot car elaborations):

the italians in 60' started to elaborate the Cox Cucaracha with cutting of the chassis in different ways; the main, and the more profitable, was to cut the central part of chassis to have a rotating mount of the motor, so it had can turn-up, during the acceleration, to increase the grip. (all the Mini dream production was based on this kind of motor mount told "snodo Pizzi", on wich you can see a remake in the upper post of Pino "98arturo52")

Another common way to increase the prestations was to low the chassis itself: on back it is easy (especially for inline chassis), lowering the tire diameter, in front a bit harder because the original rims.

The Cuca chassis, had from origin ball bearing mounted tires, but big diameter and not centered rolling so...why not to adopt directly small ball bearing on front axle to have lower clearance from ground, less friction and sure centered rolling?

In effect all Italian elaboration of slot car from 1967 mounted ball bearing: Cuca, Mondial (winner of italian championship in 68, Mini dream car from Mini A to Mini Can am) had simply mounted in front a pair of 1/8 - 3/8 ball bearing.

You can easily find them on ePAY, sold for few euros, from different german suppliers.

Angelo

· R.E.F.
1,642 Posts

That's interesting, ball bearinng front wheels,( that would add some weight to the front), Couldn't they use the 3-D printer to do front wheels? Ya! I would like to have a 3-D printer, the idea's I have for it's use

Frame looks cool !

· Registered
1,487 Posts
Yeah Ray , those ball-bearing wheels , came as standard issue front wheels , on the Mini Can Ams of the 60s . The Italians also fitted tiny tires to those ball-bearing wheels as well ! Great looking chassis - I agree ! Iso-fulcrum to boot ! Well , compared to my Cuc , the Mini Can Am is faster - Possibly because it has a 26D on board ! With a 16D fitted , I would say they are very similar in performance - but have not changed motor to 16D on my original Mini Can Am , to compare them ! Perhaps a few out there could tells us ! I think Odissey has that silver Mini Can Am with 16D motor , and would be interested to see how it performs ! Zig

· Registered
13 Posts
Ciao Spurman,

the answer can be easy, just telling that in all Italian vintage meetings we have a separate class of race just for the Mini Can Am; all other thingies races in separated class, in the last meeting one other class is for the 26d slot and another for the 36d.

This means that the Mini Can Am is however the faster thingie respect of all others, with 26D as well with 16D! (maybe just the anglewinders could be faster, but in Italy we don't race with this kind of slot).

To confirm what I am saying I add here the results of the two last meetings.

About the 2011 mixed meeting results, note that Giovanni Montiglio have a mini Can Am with 16D, that Jhonn Secchi is a very fast slotracer and that I (Angelo Raiola) raced with a Mini Can Am with a 26D and with a Cuca with a very good Nascar 3500 motor)

About 2012 meeting with the 3 categories see the difference between the first in all the categories and note that Giovanni Montiglio had a La bostella with a 16D also.

See also the difference between the best lap time of Giovanni with Can AM and La Bostella and the best time of the Cuca.

Angelo

· Registered
1,487 Posts
Thank you Angelo ! Very interesting performance figures . Giovanni must have some very good 16D motors ! Yes , I have to agree , The Mini Can Am is one of the fastest of the Thingie cars , if not the fastest . My Mini Can Am with 26D motor is very quick . Thanks for the performance charts Angelo ! Zig

· Premium Member
5,387 Posts
Hi Angelo,

Thank you for giving the story behind how they started to use them,

Slotcar history is always something i am very interested in.

Lucio,

Thank you for that link,
they have a huge amount of bearings and all for good prices.

Ray,

I do not think an unwanted Mini Dream chassis exists

we will need to wait until they bring out the repro chassis.

· Registered
1,487 Posts

My original Mini Can Am with 26D motor !

Chassis is still in very good condition !

And Ray , original front wheels , but I used wide rubber bands to make tires.

Also Angelo - added pictures , so you can see my Mini Can Am . Zig

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.