Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
What's your experince in 4 wheel driven slotcars ?
I have some very good experince, but would like to know what you guys have done with your cars.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I am not a good racer. But when a drove a 4WD MRRC Mecredes in vintage racing events I had to get someone to convert back to 2WD to race properly.
Regards Allan

·
DT
5,195 Posts
I've had fun with the Škoda (review: here). First 4WD I've really thrashed on my track - and I'll say that it drives very well. When another car would deslot at a certain point, this little one would pull itself up from the front and carry on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
QUOTE (Nuro @ 22 Dec 2004, 19:49)I've had fun with the Škoda (review: here). First 4WD I've really thrashed on my track - and I'll say that it drives very well. When another car would deslot at a certain point, this little one would pull itself up from the front and carry on.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A well balanced 4WD car can be more joyful than an ordenary slotcar . take for instance the ninco subaru proWRC who behaves like a 1-1 car in most of any situations and it has a special feeling to drive if you have a good controler.
We used one at the WC Q i sweden in the middel of the other races.
/anders

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I have a couple of ninco's RAID car/trucks, one is 4x4, the other 2wd. The 4x4 is a definate bonus in these vehicals on a home twisty track. On non pro-shock cars, I have yet to see a significant difference between 4wd and 2wd performance

·
Registered
220 Posts
QUOTE (Kai @ 23 Dec 2004, 05:37)Hi.
What's your experince in 4 wheel driven slotcars ?
I have some very good experince, but would like to know what you guys have done with your cars.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My favourite car to drive, is the AutoArt Lambourghini Murcialago - which has a unique 4WD system, with the motor linked directly with crown gears both front and rear (no rubber bands here).
It really is a great car to drive, and fun when you push it hard - really controlling the amount of slide you generate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Other than the Autoart cars the only other 4wd cars I own are the NINCO RAID cars which are a blast to drive when I can keep them right side up.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
All the recent (past ten years) SCX rally cars have shaft drive 4x4. Opinions vary as to the effectiveness of this (or any other) four-wheel drive system on a slot car. I'd say it has no real effect beyond adding weight, noise and sapping power. Actually, in some cases it is a negative as it can induce de-slotting. It is cool though.

I have only two Ninco belt drive (as SCX used to be) cars and notice that the drive to the front is easily overcome by a bit of resistance so I doubt it has more than a cosmetic effect on the car and has been adopted by Ninco purely for marketing reasons to compete against SCX on the toy shop shelves

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have got 4x4 rally offerings from Scaley, SCX and AutoArt. The SCX is my fastest non-magnet rally car. Not sure this is due to the 4x4 though, probably other factors. Put the magnets back in and the same car is the slowest by a mile! The extra resistance on the motor reduces top speed on the straights.

The AutoArt 4x4 is great fun to drive but has a tendency to ride out of the slot as the front wheels grab during the corners. The car runs faster when I reduce it back to 2wd.

The Scalextric 4wd Skoda is a great car but again slower down the straights due to the added friction of the rubber band!

JS

·
Registered
514 Posts
I tested a SCX rally car with the front pinion removed earlier at the club, and in my experience this improved the performance of the car. But since I like the rally cars to be 4WD I continue to use both pinions...

Concerning Ninco cars I agree with Scott, the belt drive seem to be more of a gimmick that doesn't make much difference in performance. At least I didn't notice much when adding belt drive to one of their older rally cars.

André

·
Registered
474 Posts
I adore the SCX 4WD rally cars with the magnet removed completely.

The cars are just so easy to push to the limit and just as you begin to feel as though you are going to deslot, all you have to do is put your finger down and straighten up.

They are not the fastest, but they are certainly one of the most fun!

Doug

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I get home from work I have a lill story to tell about 4wd that really works !!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree, the Auto Art Murcielago's are unique in that they offer a quiet, smooth 4WD that actually does make the car handle better IMHO.

I have found that as previously mentioned above if pushed hard the Lambo will over steer but will keep accelerating as the front wheels are helping pull the car as well.

It doesn't necessarily mean the fronts will pull the car straight as more than once I have seen my AA 4WD Murcielago continue fishtailing for the entire length of the straight. Totally awesome, but also scenery wreckers as they really go from side to side at a high rate of speed.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Hi Kai,
I happen to have a collection of over 50 SCX 4WD cars both the early rubber band driven versions (Audi Quattro and Ford RS200) and all the versions they have made in the last 10 years with direct gear drive at both ends as well as the Ninco (rubber band), Scalextric (rubber band), Auto Art (gears) versions.

What I have found is that the SCX cars are huge fun, provided the magents are removed. In fact they have been one of our 5 race classes for the last 3 years and will be again in 2005. I do not know what the technical advantages are - I leave that to others on the boards with far greater knowledge - but a well setup car is alot of fun able to be driven deep into the corner and accelerated out of it as well. They are not the fastest but we run them at 13 or 14 volts and have a blast.

Stephen

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been writing my text in Danish, but its rather hard to translate it to english.
I have some 4wd cars that really rocks.
In DK the 4wd is a very popular class, and have been that for some time, now.
We always make extreme rebuilds of our cars, so if you run a car out of the box, its very hard to keep up (except Spirit 205).

·
Registered
146 Posts
My experience shows that 4wd can be an advantage with low traction, but a traction magnet is much more effective on plastic track. The SCX cars with 4wd are a lot of fun without the magnet and with the magnet I have often used them for beginners. The belt drive cars do not seem to be a good idea. I think the belt drive is very ineffiecient, any traction advantage is offset by a significant loss os top speed and acceleration.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The beltdrive are not bad, but the slotcarmanuf. does "destoy" it, with those discs they provide the cars with.
I have made some discs to mount on the axles, in 3 different diameters.
With those discs, you can make the transmission like a sligtly FWD, and that rocks !!!!
ø8 on the rear, and ø6 on the frontaxle, and then use tires with grip in front.
Furthermore you have to change that ridicilous rubberband to a real transmissionbelt, like the ones used in taperecorders and recordplayers.
I have attached a picture of my Subaru, but I guess that it doesnt say much.
I would really like to be an ambassador for making the Europeans run 1:32 4WD rallys, but the barrier in the language makes it difficult.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Nice car, Kai, I assume you made those pulleys yourself? I have several 4wd cars and like them for non mag running. I have experimented with installing the Ninco belt kits into several 2wd cars, Ninco 911 GT3R and GT1, and a Cartrix 2wd Hyundai rally. It seems to help on acceleration when the car will spin the tires with 2wd.

I did notice that hte cars with larger diameter rear tires (underdrive to front) did not improve as much as those with equal size tires. It is interesting to hear that you have gone even further to overdrive the front end. Does this seem to be a consistent advantage? I may try to find some pulleys from an industrial catalog for different gearing.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the pulleys you need.
Its really an improvement.
If you use the std. Ninco kit, its really important that your wheels are the same diameter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts