SlotForum banner

5 car Comparison

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Intergrali 
#1 ·
As my wife is away for the weekend I thought I would get the Sports track out and try out some new cars I've got. (How sad is that...nothing better to do on a Friday night!).

This is some views on the cars tested.

Scalextric MG Lola.

Great car, very easy to drive fast, quiet and very smooth. Top marks Scalextric.

Team Slot Nissan R 390 GTI

Great looking car apart from the awful tampo printing which all seems out of focus.
The tyres are an awful fit to the rims so I wasn't very confident of a decent performance from the car. How wrong can you be.....The car was superb, and produced some of the best power slides I've ever managed with a slotcar.

Topslot Porsche 917 LH

I've been building this for some time, It's a superb resin kit which uses a Fly Porsche 917 Donor car.
It is fairly heavy compared to the standard 917 so I wasn't exspecting much in the way of performance.
This car again surpised me, it was really smooth taking corners at much higher speed than any of my other 917's (I have 5). The car did not move off line once and I'm really pleased with this car.
The improved handling must be due to the weight distribution, as everything else is as per standard 917.

Ninco Callaway c12

I love Ninco cars, it's just a shame they don't make more of the type of car I like.
This car again was very smooth and performed very well. The NC2 motor seems to suit this car.

Slot it Porsche 956c

I had read so much about this car I was really looking forward to trying it. I'm afraid "out of the box", mine is a very poor performer. The car deslots at the slightest hint of an uneven track and the tyres are an awful fit onto the wheels and came off very easily.
Potential for the car is there, but it will need a lot of work if it is to stand any hope of keeping up with the MG.
The chassis seems to need work , either stiffening ribs or weight added at the front.
Now I don't mind doing any of this as I enjoy tinkering, but this is ment to be a RTR car. Not good enough Slot.IT and it may be sometime until I buy another.
To make matters worse the rear wing fell off on the third lap.

Regards

Alan

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello Alan,

Go through the search engine to find a recent topis on the slot it porsche. I had similar problems as you. The thread will tell you what I did to fix and it goes really well now.
Don't expect it to ever go as well as an MG Lola though.
I also now have the reverse motor mount for the porsche. I will have results of that change soon.

#3 ·
It is worth me saying an MG Lola should be faster than a 956, or that while I am a big fan of the Lola the Porsche is a musuem quality static display model - that you and use on track?

I have two 956s and find them smooth and fun to drive, but then I take out the bloody magnets and accept that, as in real life, I sometimes have to feather the throttle to take a bend or section.

Consider this, if all slot cars were the same (i.e. as good as the Lola) evenings spent trying to make one car lap as fast as another would not be possible. No underdog to fettle and nurture, no challenge, no fun at all. Thank God for differences.

Scott

#9 ·
Thanks for your comments and tips Chaps to make this car perform a little better.

Scott I take on board all your comments and agree with you regarding the magnet/no magnet issue. I would estimate that approx. 75% of my cars without magnets, however it is also fair to say that none of my cars are "Shelf Queens" and all should be available for use.

It still does not alter the fact that this car is sold as a RTR car and should perform to an acceptable standard. My car clearly doesn't do this and it is something I should to take up with the retailer that sold me the car. (Not any of the excellent retailers represented on this board I hasten to add!).

I could sort out the problems with the car, I have no doubt, but what about the example of a young lad purchasing the car without any specific knowledge of slot car "tuning", where would a car like this leave him?.

People are very quick to criticise companies like Fly and I think it only fair that when other makes are found to not to come up to scratch, that this is also pointed out.

I'm sure this is a quality control issue, but unless this type of incident is reported to the Retailer/Manufacturer nothing will be done about it.

Regards

Alan

#10 ·
yes the tyres are an issue BUT

the chassis is a good chassis and provides grip, strengthening it will make it cr@per, the new EVO2 RS by fly has a more flexible chassis which I feel makes it handle better

I believe once again Maurizio has aimed the car towards no mag events rather than the magneted home racer (YES I KNOW SOME DO RACE WITHOUT AT HOME OK OK)

Rob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.