SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
Just seen the first shots of a car some of us have been waiting forever to get hold of - Mikkola's 555 Quattro from the 1985 China Rally. Hooray!

It's been in the release list since some time in the mid-cretaceous period. Along with Michèle Mouton's black BP Group 4 car. The pic shows that it's on Team Slot's new chassis and running gear, so it's 2WD but will go like a buttered stoat.

50695546_386586042115860_5484012340309393408_n.jpg

And then Fly goes and announces its version of the same livery.

Why? Out of all the flipping Audi Quattro A2s in the world did the only two manufacturers who make them decide to release the same livery, years after their last efforts? They've already doubled-up on Per Eklund's 1985 RAC Rally car and put the Marlboro livery on from Ivory Coast '82. Does nobody in Spain talk to one another?

Off the top of my head you could have Harald Demuth's European Championship-winning car, Malcolm Wilson's British Open car, Jorge Recaldo's blue-and-white Argentine car or Malcolm Stewart's saucy little livery from New Zealand. Bernard Darniche had some cool liveries in the French/ERC events. Chris Lord ran one in silver - rubbish colour on the stages but magic on a slot car.

The Fly has the look of the A2 much better (it's the rear wheel arch that's the issue on the Team Slot... shouldn't be flush with the sill), and it has a drop arm and proper shaft-driven 4WD. But I can't help but love Team Slot and the Rothmans livery car on the new running gear is brilliant.

I'm just frustrated. Two Quattros at once but both the same darn car...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
Buttered goats? SCX.

Buttered stoats? Team Slot with the latest chassis and when you've got the gears, wheels and stars aligned. Takes a bit of doing but it's so well worth it.

The Fly Quattros run very nicely as well on all surfaces. A bit of pinion-jiggling is required and an ability not to weep when the pretty bits start falling off but generally a very good slot rally car.

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a potential fix to this problem.

The cars went back to China in 1986 and won again. Not much changed on them - I can attest to this because I spent my summer holidays cycling round the Silverstone perimeter track and workshops, where two 555 Audis were parked out at the back of Andy Dawson's unit with grass growing around them. Stig Blomqvist won the event in 1986 with Bruno Berglund alongside him. You only have to change the crew names, numberplate and rally plate, even the number panels were the same.

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a few suggestions for future reference of slot car manufacturers with an Audi Quattro A2 in the toolings box:

119486.jpg

buffum-acropolis-rally-1984-1.jpg

14-11-09019.jpg

25-04-15 004.jpg

hja_auto3917001.jpg

Can't wait for the new Team Slot. Glad to see Fly back in business. But a little variation would be nice.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Saw the Team Slot version of the 555 in the 'flesh' tonight, which our friendly neighbourhood slot peddler was trying to tempt me with.

He succeeded, although will have to wait until my birthday.

It's an absolute beauty. The quality of detailing and fit'n'finish is light years ahead of where Team Slot used to be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts