SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i'm just getting into this digital lark. I'm having real trouble with the techspeak that's used. Here is what i want to do.
I want to go F1, with about 5 lane changers( 2 curved), a pitlane(when the car enters the pits i would like it to stop for a couple of seconds an then carry on), and use 6 cars. the track will not be permanent. I quite like the idea of weather and fuel loads/tyre wear as i think this will make strategy very important. I would like to be able to do a race weekend(free practice,qually, and race).I'd also like to be restricting the speed of the cars to be more realistic. the size of the area i have to work in is 2.00mx5.00m, so i can have quite a large layout. i'm already on ebay buying track etc, and am currently bidding on a c7030. would it be better to go for this one and have it modded or go for the APB. There seems to be quite a difference in price. Would the costs work out to be similar by the time i've shipped the C7030 off and paid for the mods, or just bought an APB from the likes of Jadlam. Can the APB do all the things i want it to straight out of the box?I have some old f1 cars so would need to chip these. I suspect the newer cars (DPR) have a faster motor so would need to be restricted as the older cars would not be as fast. The Ghost car thing seems to be a good idea. Would it be possible to race say 4 cars and have a few ghost cars just coasting round the track? If so, how many? I'm sure i have forgotte something, but if i remember i will ask again.
Sorry for the long post first time out but i don't want to go in all guns blazing, buy a load of gear, and then find out i can't do what i want to! Thanks in advance
Nick

Prof I T
hi
And welcome to the forum.

Fisrt off i would give the c7030 a wide berth as they are carp until they are modified into pbpro+s/h board and this then will push the cost of buying one and the mods to more than the c7042 apb.

For all your needs i would go for apb with ssdc as your race management software and pitpro for the pitlane side of things.

This will give you your desired race programs and pit stops and a host of other extras including your desired pit lane speed limiter,wich by the way works a hell of a lot better with apb than the c7030 also the pace cars work a lot better with the former as well.

Greg Gaub
First off, I agree with Ade. Great advice from a great guy.

QUOTE (welnik @ 16 Jul 2011, 06:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So, i'm just getting into this digital lark.

Again, welcome to SlotForum. You've come to a great place for info and help on SSD. Everyone here is friendly and helpful, and you're never long to wait for answers.

QUOTE (welnik @ 16 Jul 2011, 06:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I want to go F1, with about 5 lane changers( 2 curved), a pitlane(when the car enters the pits i would like it to stop for a couple of seconds an then carry on)

Well, I don't think any system will stop the car FOR you. You'll need to let up and stop the car yourself, and then do something else, such as hold the lane change button, to refuel the car the amount you want. But yes, what you want is more or less possible with SSD.

QUOTE (welnik @ 16 Jul 2011, 06:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>currently bidding on a c7030. would it be better to go for this one and have it modded or go for the APB

I agree with Ade on this one. Just leave the C7030 and get the APB. With recently published mods, it's better than a fully modded C7030, pretty much.

QUOTE (welnik @ 16 Jul 2011, 06:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can the APB do all the things i want it to straight out of the box?

Pretty much, yes. You'll need pit lane detection of some kind for the pit lane speed limits and such, and Pit-Pro is the way to go for that. It's a mod to the Scalextric Pit Lane Game, and you can contact RikoRocket or RichG about that product.

QUOTE (welnik @ 16 Jul 2011, 06:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Would it be possible to race say 4 cars and have a few ghost cars just coasting round the track? If so, how many?

Yes. You could have a number of duplicate ghost cars on ID 5 and 6, but I would recommend only one each, and put them in their own lane with no lane changing. Also, avoid the 90 degree crossing pieces and squeezes, because ghosts won't know to slow down or speed up to avoid a collision. They will be traffic for the real racers to get around, and that's it.

Welcome to SSD. Enjoy your stay.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. they are very helpful. I've cancelled my bid for the 7030 and am currently looking for an APB. There seems to be a lot of digital controllers for sale on ebay. Are they all the same? Cos they seem to go for wildly different prices. So i need 4 controllers, an APB, some different turns, LC's, some digichips, and i'm set. I'm quite excited by the prospect of digital racing. Should be a lot of fun.
Cheers Nick

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello there, i'm in Kenilworth near warwick. I haven't thought about that really as i'm merely an amateur at this game
Might not be a bad idea to get some ideas. Thanks for that.
Cheers Nick

Greg Gaub
The controllers are all the same, within their manufacturing tolerances, of course. Pay the least you can find.
Also, if you've never raced digital, definitely give it a try before sinking bunches of money into it. Some people find that they don't like it once they've tried it. Others find that anything other than digital is a bore. To each their own, so it's best to find out before investing. Would you buy a new car without test driving it? ;-)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just thought of another question.

I have some old cars that need tyres. does anyone know of a database of cars that i can use to see what cars i have, and then someone to sell me some tyres for said cars.

Cheers nick

Registered
One thing you will have to do immediately is buy a cable, RicoRocket does them on here and upgrade the powerbase to 1.06. Particularly for F1 cars as from Scalextric they are very poor at lap counting F1 cars. Even Scalextric referes to the SSD website for unofficial upgrades.

Prof I T
hi
yes if you get the apb the firmware upgrade is a must.It may be unofficial but Adrian Norman uses it for his digital club and he works for scalextric.

Have a look on the ssdc web page under firmware updates,once you have downloaded it and installed it into the pb you can confirm it's installed by connecting the lcd tower and when you power up it will show wich firmware is running.

Premium Member
QUOTE (bigbird @ 17 Jul 2011, 09:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>yes if you get the apb the firmware upgrade is a must.
I updated mine couple of days ago and it was very simple and took less than a minute to do.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi there, another question for you all. Does the power supply for the c7030 fit the new APB and will it power 6 cars, about 40 metres of track and probably 5 0r 6 lane changers?
Cheers Nick

David K Phillipson
no you will need the c7024 power supply which comes separate or with the old four car powerbase

the power supply for the c7030 is only 12v if i remember correctly whereas the c7024 is 15v

Prof I T
hi
also a different jack plug size as well as the voltage difference.The external size is quite common at 6.5mm from memory but the internal size is quite hard to get hold of on it's own.

Just to get mine up and running i drilled one out to the required 3mm dia from spares wich came from a universal psu from maplin.

Registered
Hi welnik

buy the sounds of your first post you have yet to buy any lane changers, controllers etc. you my be better buying a couple of digital sets of ebay, there has been a few sets going for abot 50-60 pound . then you will have some xlc, clc, 4-6 cars and controllers, 2 c7042 power supplys and lots of sport track.

if you buy the power supplys new you are looking at paying about 拢50 for the pair so the above method makes sence.

good luck and happy ebaying

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the help. been in touch with pendles and got some tyres on the way, but they say that one of the tyres i want isn't available. the car is an old Calibre in white "team Joest" with low profile tyres,and i really like the wheels on it. would anybody know if they are available anywhere else? Other than that everything is progressing nicely. I will soon have to start designing a track to go with it all! I'm getting impatient. It feels like i'm waiting for Christmas

Cheers Nick

Prof I T
hi
unless the tyres are so shot they are cracking they can be useually bought back to life by removing the hard glaze.

Just spin the tryes up on the car and hold the car above some sandpaper to remove the glaze.This can make a huge difference to grip and it's free as well...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE (stevecockrill @ 19 Jul 2011, 22:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Nick - is this the Calibra (from link)?

Here's a link to the service sheet:

http://www.slotcity.co.uk/download/ss302b.pdf

shows the tires/tyres as being Scalextric part W8095.....Lendon's in Wales shows some for GBP1.23....link

Hope that helps!

Steve

Hi steve.
sorry for the late reply, work has been a nightmare lately. Yes that is the car, tyres are ordered so we will see. As an aside, the sports track i bought has arrived and the calibres will go round it!!! Go figure? But very slippy and slidy. I got me a Maclaren (lewis no 23), have tried that tonight( the wife is out with her girly mates) and that is quite hard to drive without sliding off track! I like it!! Proper racing here we come. Thanks to everyone for the replies, i'm sure i will have more questions as i go along, but i'm quite encouraged by the way scaley are going. Digital is the way forward, and i haven't even tried it yet! Not long now.
Cheers Nick

1 - 20 of 30 Posts