SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
It has been an exciting F1 competition this year and - with 2 rounds left - the championship is still in the balance. Dave and Will have to be the favourites to pick up the F1 and F1 junior trophies in December.

If your thoughts are already on winning the 2011 championship, you might want to think about what to run next season and get up to speed in the next two rounds.

I've run a different chassis in each round this year to make sure our F1 rules give different cars an equal chance and will allow people to run the cars they want to. The rules basically allow Tycos and Tomy Turbos to run with silicone tyres, but all other parts must be standard - including rubber tyres on other cars. The full rules are here.

The Tyco 440x2 and Mattel 440x2 (above) are the benchmark. These are what we run as our club cars. They are fast and have excellent road-holding in the corners, making it the perfect all-round car. They can be run with silicone rear tyres for maximum grip.

I ran a Tomy Super-G+ in June.

These are very fast on the straights, but must be run with the standard rubber tyres which makes them tricky on corners - you need to brake earlier and get on the gas later than with a Tyco. But the speed meant I could just about keep up with the Tycos. But missing a breaking point was disastrous

Next I tried a Tomy Racing Turbo.

Although our rules allow silicone rear tyres, the handling of the Turbo is similar to a Super-G+ with rubber tyres - fast on the straights, slow on the corners. However, the Turbo isn't quite as quick at the Super-G+ on the straights, so I really struggled to get near the top Tycos.

This month, I'm going to try a brand-new Micro-Scalextric McLaren.

Our rules say these have to be run with standard rubber tyres. The Micro cars are readily available in the UK - but, with their flimsy braids and plastic guides, might be a little fragile and temperamental for regular racing action. We'll see

The last car to try will be the new Tomy Mega-G.

Again, these need to be run with standard rubber tyres which will - I suspect - mean fast on the straights, slow on the corners.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
You've got me worried now. I guess I've got to watch out for Red Bulls and Ferraris nerfing me off the track

Shame you can't make it. I've been reading through people's comments on our questionnaire and we'll talk about them on the trip to Edmonton on Sunday. It would be good to find ways of seeing more of you next season

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts

A return to the pre-summer numbers tonight - 21 racers and some impressive performances. John finally took an 'A' final win fending off an inspired Ashley who broke all the records - first pole by a junior and highest finish by a junior (2nd). Not bad after playing in a football tournament all day

More photos, plus the video, results, report and points updates coming soon.

QUOTE (diesel @ 28 Sep 2010, 12:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd love to see the MS McLaren get annihilated by the Tycos, and I'm sure it will

And it was - utterly

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great evening with the numbers back to normal but whatever happened to the raining F1 leader? I was shown up by an inspired grandson and John F who kept his car on the track even though he was hindered by some poor marshalling!!!!
Chief Marshal's job is up for grabs. I couldn't even manage the B Final let alone the A. Still the competition is wide open now and hopefully I shall be a bit more competitive next month.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 'C' final is very unfamiliar territory for you:

It'll be interesting to look at the championship tables when we've updated them. One round to go in F1 and three of us in the mix I think. If my mental arithemetic is correct, it's you on 470, me 430 and John with 380.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the offer Julian, but I was just having a play to see if anyone could be competitive with a Micro Scalextric car from a new set - what with xmas coming up etc. As predicted by diesel, the answer is no - unless it was my driving to blame, of course

I think a lightly-used Tyco or a new Tomy Super-G, Racing Turbo or Mega-G running to our rules is going to the best bet in terms of performance, budget (£10 to £20) and availability of spares. Our club cars are still going strong after heavy use in 5 events and with only a couple of pinions and crown gears changed. One armature did go in the second event too, come to think of it...

Here are our October winners - John driving our Tyco club cars and Ashley his own 'Red Bull' Tyco.

Both will be at the EAHORC event in Worthing on 31st October.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The problem with the Micro cars is the slow motor, you can put a Tomy can motor in (it's a bit tricky but can be done) and then they fly, but as they come they're only competitive against other Micro cars. It's a shame I won't be coming down to Worthing, have a good meeting.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
It's a time thing rather than distance IYSWIM, it would be a very early start and a late finish with the travelling time, the travelling costs aren't really an issue.

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 10 Oct 2010, 18:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The problem with the Micro cars is the slow motor, you can put a Tomy can motor in (it's a bit tricky but can be done) and then they fly
That is the truth. The car was so slow down the straights. I could have changed the motor (some soldering required), but wanted to see how the cars operate out of the box. I might try that upgrade and amend the rules if the car is then not too fast

I know a few of our members have micro sets with closed-wheel cars. With a Tomy Turbo motor and silicone rear tyres, they might be fun to drive in our closed-wheel class.

Shame you can't be at the Heene on Halloween, but see you soon (I'm sure we'll have a few spare moments at Derby to have a natter).

·
Andy Player
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The club championship is really hotting up and will go down to the final round in December:

The top spot is between John and Dave as Andy and Robin are likely to manage just one round each before the season ends. If the scores are tied in December, the winner with be the racer with most wins, then 2nd places, then 3rd places etc.

Other championship tables are here.

Congratulations to Will who has now wrapped up a hat trick of Junior championships - F1, Mod and the overall - and to Robin who took an unassailable lead in the Mod championship last month

The Rookie of the year is incredibly close too, with John and Dave locked at the top and Will in third, waiting to capitalise on any slip-ups:

Because the Rookie of the Year only rewards the top 10 rookies* at each event, anyone who has picked up points should be well pleased with themselves - that's 28 racers so far

* We've defined a 'Rookie' as anyone who starts the season having raced in less than 4 HO slot car events (anywhere in the UK or further afield). So next year, there will be far fewer racers in the competition.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
QUOTE (woodcote @ 11 Oct 2010, 09:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That is the truth. The car was so slow down the straights. I could have changed the motor (some soldering required), but wanted to see how the cars operate out of the box. I might try that upgrade and amend the rules if the car is then not too fast

I know a few of our members have micro sets with closed-wheel cars. With a Tomy Turbo motor and silicone rear tyres, they might be fun to drive in our closed-wheel class.

Shame you can't be at the Heene on Halloween, but see you soon (I'm sure we'll have a few spare moments at Derby to have a natter).

There's no reason why they shouldn't go about the same speed as any of the Tomys that use the same armature, you would need to specify a minimum height for the magnets to be from the rails (you can measure this with feeler gauges) and maybe stick with the stock tyres.

The best way to do the soldering is to remove the motor and contacts from the car still soldered together, solder the contacts to the motor, then put the whole lot back, this does mean some fiddly bending of the contacts, also be careful getting the motor in and out as it's easy to break the little plastic lugs that hold it in. Alternatively just run a class for MS cars.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Better late than never, the race report:

WHO Racing returned to form this October with a total of 21 slot car racers turning up for the some Wednesday night racing.

The track was a demanding one and only skill, determination and quick reactions would see you through the night.

The Heats:

Heat 1: The first heat of the night and Will and Tyler opened it up with couple ofearly wins. Tyler took a few tumbles on red lane half way through the heats and Rick picked up a win by race three. Newcomer Mark held his own though with some consistent lap times but could get quicker in time.

Heat 2: Zack and Louise kept the pace going with but neither had a good time on the better lanes of blue and red. John and Mark's racing was very close with both racers very near to one another through all three of the races. They were so good they both made it into the A Final.

Heat 3: Another heat of two adults and two juniors, we couldn't of planned this if we tried! There was a variety of results from heat three, a bit like the Singapore Grand Prix. The first half of the heat saw Jonah and Mark take a win each whilst the second half saw Daniel then Ian take a win. There were quite a few crashes in this heat which can be seen in the lap times.

Heat 4: This heat was Ashley's moment to shine. After a shaky start on Red lane he then went on to dominate the remaining three lanes with two 17 lap totals and a 18 lap result to finish it off. Blue lane seemed to be the lucky lane with Tim and James also getting high lap score in the latter half of the heat. Newcomer Jack struggled a little with his first time at the club but practice makes perfect.

Heat 5: The only heat to contain a micro scalextric car. It wasn't a good choice by Andy as it gave him last place for the first half of the heats. Dave and Daniel remained consistent through out the whole heat picking up various 14-16 lap results
whilst Andy switched back to the trusty Tyco x2 and made the most of the gutter lanes by taking the last two wins.

Heat 6: Only two racers for this heat but that didn't bother Stephen and a very cheerful Brandon. Stephen kept within the 15 lap bracket for all of his lanes but blue, whilst Brandon racing was a little more random! On Yellow and Red he had a good few crashes ("more brakes" Ian could be heard saying) but when he got on blue and white he was able to keep pace with Stephen.

Finals:

Ian and Brandon unfortunately had to leave early in the evening so the finals groups dropped from 6 to 5.

E Final: Mike, Daniel and Jack took to the podium for there 3 minute final. Although White is a gutter lane Mike used it well and beat his son by a whole lap and Jack by just over three. Well done Mike.

D Final: Mike must have left some extra grip and speed after his run on White lane as it was Rick that found it and used it to take the D final win. Mark Wesley wasn't far behind though and Louise and Jonah were at the back of the pack.

C Final: Three juniors and the lone adult Dave entered the C final to get some all important championship points. The racing was very close with the odd thrill and spill but it was Stephen McCann who pipped Dave to the chequred flag by one whole lap.

B Final: Age and experience prevailed in the B Final as Andy took the win from the junior racers that surrounded him. Will though was very close and competitive and only behind by 25 parts from Andy.

A Final: The main event of the evening and a cool Tim, calm Mark and collected John took to there controllers while an eager Ashley was already waiting to race. It was John and Ashley that took to the challenge and pushed each other again and again in the race. John managed to get ahead though and took the overall win. Tim also managed to put in some laps to distance himself from Mark who came in fourth.

John Ferrigno took his first Adult Who Racing win and with a smile and "about time" comment took his well deserved medal.

Ashley Seymour though had a stellar night by not only putting in great lap times in his heats but also racing hard in his final to gain his 1st junior win. Well done.

Phew! A big race report to write for such a great night. Next month is MOD class so the super G's will be out in action.

See you in November.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts