SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts

Here is a car that I built in 1982 to evaluate the concept for serious Bscra racing at the time. It was inspired by a Williams FW08 being tested at the time. AS it was for serious evaluation, I built it to current race car specification with brass flexi board chassis and C can motor. The car was tested at the Dowty Open meeting of that year in practise. I was practising with Ian Fisher at the time and could just about get the better of him. As Ian went on to win the F1 final the following day that was very promising! The car could not be used in the race as Bscra rules at the time stated that the full size car must have raced. THe FIA in their wisdom then banned all race cars with more than 4 wheels, so it became Cooper's folly. It has languished unused for 20 years in my workshop until Ralph Parker took an interest and offered to renovate it. He has since done so and told me that it runs extremely well. I look forward to trying it myself soon. At the time I modified a Classic shell of the FW 08 and just extended the gearbox detail to refit the wing behind the rear set of rear wheels. The rear end uses 7 ballraces, 2 sets of Fass spur gears and a set of Taylor inline gears

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I think it's great, but I especially love the irony that they wouldn't let you race it because the full-sized one didn't- regardless of the fact you have four great big orange spongies on the back! Just like the real thing-not!
A great piece of engineering. But any thoughts on what the extra set of gears cost in straight-line speed? I'd love to see more.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Had a similar idea myself but this was for club racing on home tracks. Below is the finished article. It has an SCX Pro Turbo in it now. Quite fast enough for tight circuit racing though and it goes well on boards too!

The body is a revamped Scaley FW07. I repainted it and fitted it out with decals from Patto's

The gears were quite noisey for a bit but have settled in now

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Derek's almost certainly unaware of this, but I've actually driven the orange-wheeled beast post-restoration! Ralph and I are members of the same club and he's been bringing it along to the club nights recently for testing.

It's got an unreal amount of grip when exiting the fast corners. Traditionally a BSCRA F1 will slide on the exit and then you are trying to stop it jerggling but the six wheel starts to slide then - whomp! - suddenly four contact patches find some grip and it is then absolutely beautiful powering it's way out. It catches the slide far, far earlier than any other similar car I've ever driven. Wonderful stuff.

I can't comment about the gear train sapping the top end as because A - isn't mine and B - is of historic interest so I didn't push it (honest Derek!). Just kept marvelling at it's corner exiting.

Coop

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thank you both for sharing those pictures...

I just love the six wheelers, would be nice if Scalextric and Ninco could relies some cars.
I like older cars and models, so a pair of six wheelers would do just fine in my small collection.

Eric

·
Al Schwartz
3,396 Posts
Another side to the " six wheeler" story - and how it closed the first chapter of my slot racing history:

I moved to southern California in 1962 and brought a few of my 1/24 Merit and Strombecker bodied cars with me. They followed the pattern that I had developed as a follow-on to my tinplate Scalextric: machined aluminum chassis fitted with Pittman DC 703 motors (originally called "conversion" motors since they were intended as replacements for the cheap Japanese motors (Mabuchi!) supplied with the HO guage Hobbytown diesel locomotives), aluminum wheels with Strombecker tires and home built teflon guides with phosphor bronze contacts.

I found a hobby shop with a track (the first commercial track I had ever seen) in El Cajon, a suburb of San Diego. They had weekly races with an entry fee of a few dollars. At the end of the evening, the winner got a percentage of the pot. For several months, we enjoyed a beer or two on the way home with our winnings.

On evening, a fellow showed up with a Porsche F 1 car fitted with two DC 703s at the rear - a six wheeler! It was faster than my best car and my protests that no such car existed were met with "Well, it might have been" (I think the group was tired of seeing only the tail of my cars) I found a 6 volt Globe motor in a surplus catalog, built a sidewinder chassis and returned to the fore. A couple of weeks later, the same 6 wheel Porsche showed up sporting green tires about 1/2" wide and was again accepted.

The next day, I packed away my cars and visited a little shop in La Jolla were I was living and bought a ship model!

EM

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (howmet tx @ 29 Nov 2004, 13:54)I think it's great, but I especially love the irony that they wouldn't let you race it because the full-sized one didn't- regardless of the fact you have four great big orange spongies on the back! Just like the real thing-not!
A great piece of engineering. But any thoughts on what the extra set of gears cost in straight-line speed? I'd love to see more.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The whole rear end was carefully aligned and meshed, with top quality gears, it turns extremely freely with the motor disconnected and the power loss (there must be some) was not noticable

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (Coopdevil @ 29 Nov 2004, 14:58)Derek's almost certainly unaware of this, but I've actually driven the orange-wheeled beast post-restoration! Ralph and I are members of the same club and he's been bringing it along to the club nights recently for testing.

It's got an unreal amount of grip when exiting the fast corners. Traditionally a BSCRA F1 will slide on the exit and then you are trying to stop it jerggling but the six wheel starts to slide then - whomp! - suddenly four contact patches find some grip and it is then absolutely beautiful powering it's way out. It catches the slide far, far earlier than any other similar car I've ever driven. Wonderful stuff.

I can't comment about the gear train sapping the top end as because A - isn't mine and B - is of historic interest so I didn't push it (honest Derek!). Just kept marvelling at it's corner exiting.

Coop
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right now I'm really jealous, I'll have to come and see you before Christmas and try it myself!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.