Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
has anyone ever had a go at making the odd looking , lumpy , whale taled freak that masquerades as a 911 , actually look like a 911? i had one as a small (911 fanatical) child and even then i could tell that was a country mile wide of "pretty"! with some really nice looking models of them on the market these days , i keep looking at the old ones , rub my chin and contemplate getting the dremel & miliput out.....unless its already been done!

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
You can get rather a nice little Carrera RSR out of them with minimal effort! That's clearly what the model was based on rather than any other flavour of 911-derived weaponry.

I did a relivery on one many moons ago and was delighted with it. Always loved the way they drove and still do, but with the number of different chassis available these days I doubt it would be too hard to make something fairly modern and rapid.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (loosesalute @ 10 Apr 2012, 21:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sledge hammer would do the trick nicely Pete...
Cheers,
Kev.

hummmm......harsh.....but fair!! even as a kid i lusted after a '75 guards red turbo (still do) but hated , with a passion the scalextric one i was given. i thought i try and "redeem" one maybe!

QUOTE (scuderia_turini @ 10 Apr 2012, 21:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello Pete,
Go for it. Some people like myself have fitted Fuchs wheels to these but not much beyond that. Although I am sure someone did a very thorough job but I can't find it in here :- Linky to 911 Appreciation Society.

Leo

fuchs would most definately be a starting point!....its the finish line that concerns me!

QUOTE (driver#8 @ 11 Apr 2012, 09:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You can get rather a nice little Carrera RSR out of them with minimal effort! That's clearly what the model was based on rather than any other flavour of 911-derived weaponry.

I did a relivery on one many moons ago and was delighted with it. Always loved the way they drove and still do, but with the number of different chassis available these days I doubt it would be too hard to make something fairly modern and rapid.

i wouldnt be going down the rsr route. it would have to be a straight 930 road car either in guards red or martini edition white. i would stick with the original chassis too...ive got several "new" gt3r's and while they are fast i still prefer the classic style of car!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Here's my old RSR bought new many years ago. these later ones (about mid 1980s) with the magnatraction and lights were the best of the bunch. I've added a new set of SCX Fuch style wheels and lowered the ride height, that's about it. but it is still way inferior to the Ninco, Fly or MRRC versions.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
My brother cut the roof off his one to make it corner better. That mod did work, and esthetically it looked all right as well. I'll try and find a photo...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 12 Apr 2012, 08:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just buy a Ninco 911, you won't regret it.

wheres the fun in that?....anyone can buy one off the shelf. plus i like to see if i can make a silk purse out of a sows ear! i never seem to do anything the easy way.

QUOTE (pace1970uk @ 12 Apr 2012, 13:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here's my old RSR bought new many years ago. these later ones (about mid 1980s) with the magnatraction and lights were the best of the bunch. I've added a new set of SCX Fuch style wheels and lowered the ride height, that's about it. but it is still way inferior to the Ninco, Fly or MRRC versions.

now thats really getting there. those fuchs rims are the dogs danglies! between those and getting the front end down is a proper good start towards a looker. a little "re-proportioning" , a coat of "mile deep" guards red and some detailing & i would be a happy bunny!

QUOTE (RikoRocket @ 12 Apr 2012, 13:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My brother cut the roof off his one to make it corner better. That mod did work, and esthetically it looked all right as well. I'll try and find a photo...
mmmm....cabriolet.....noooo.......SPEEDSTER....oh yeah...

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
That RSR sure looks nice to me! When I see a car like that, I see a blank canvas. I've been thinking about getting one to play around with, and seeing pace1970uk's is inspiring.

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
scalextric really did make a lash of it first time round but it doesnt take much to get the old girl on the road to recovery! all i need to do now is buy one to have a go at. trouble is , either im paranoid or coincidentally prices for them seem to have risen just lately on the well known interweb auction site!!

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,581 Posts
Yeah, I noticed the same effect with the Scalextric Lancia Rally/037. The prices jumped about a year ago when I had decided that they were cheap enough to not resist.

Here is one of my 911s. It has an A1 or an F1 chassis and a bit of detailing:

·
David J
3,182 Posts
Not exactly the model you were talking about but it's 70's, it's [email protected] and it's a Porsche.
Just to show what can be achieved - AKA - turning a sow's ear into a silk purse...

Dave Wisdom worked his magic on this...

And ended up with this...

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
I gave Dave that Porsche...he won`t give me it back now!

It`s actually a French made version, which were 100% better than the UK ones.
Cheers,
Kev

·
Tore
1,692 Posts
The C125 replicates the 1974 Carrera RSR 3.0 with the wide fenders and huge wing.

With some detailing, better looking wheels and adjusted ride height it's probably not too bad.

·
Circuit Owner
5,889 Posts
QUOTE (petestrike @ 13 Apr 2012, 23:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>scalextric really did make a lash of it first time round but it doesnt take much to get the old girl on the road to recovery! all i need to do now is buy one to have a go at. trouble is , either im paranoid or coincidentally prices for them seem to have risen just lately on the well known interweb auction site!!

I picked up one at Gaydon last year for £3 - it was in a box of scrap stuff under a dealer's stall and it had all its bits and ran OK when I got it home. Bargain.

My buddy Snurfen picked up another one - bodyshell and chassis only but really really tidy - for £3 at a recent swapmeet.

You can find cheap ones if you look around.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (Mr Modifier @ 14 Apr 2012, 21:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I picked up one at Gaydon last year for £3 - it was in a box of scrap stuff under a dealer's stall and it had all its bits and ran OK when I got it home. Bargain.

My buddy Snurfen picked up another one - bodyshell and chassis only but really really tidy - for £3 at a recent swapmeet.

You can find cheap ones if you look around.

i'll be trawling the boot sales now that the weather is picking up...(yeah right!!)... i'd love to go to a swap meet but i dont think there is anything down this end of the world (cornwall) unless anyone can tell me different?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts