SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am pondering placing a slot car layout in my garage loft. The space available is 9ft by 9ft, although it's actually slightly larger both ways, but I'd like to put some grassy banks, etc., at the side of the roadway. The track will be above a model railway up there too. About twenty years ago I had a lot of "classic" Scalextric track and cars, but it's only recently that I have picked up a digital F1 set.

With the area being square and with the central area being required to remain unsullied by track, the space only lends itself to a shelf layout, which restricts the imagination somewhat. However, after some time spent tinkering, I've come up with the following that I think will offer a decent bit of interest and racing potential.

Rectangle Yellow Line Font Material property

The design has been developed in AnyRail, using scalextric track, and is offered up here for the collective's perusal.

The track will be fitted permanently to the baseboard allowing for some scenery to be incorporated. Pinterest has been very inspirational in that regard.

The disparity between the two ends meeting will be sorted out by some elevation somewhere in the circuit, most probably the twisting section, leaving the section from the top left corner to bottom right corner for some fast running. the only problematic point I can see is the disparity between the pit lane and the main straight, but I think I can either squeeze it or trim a pit lane section to fit.

Have I got the curved crossover entry into the pit correct? Will it work like that? I confess, I've just copied what I've seen on other track plans to help with that...

As slot cars is really only slightly more than a passing interest, unmodified, RTR, box standard vehicles will be the order of the day, most likely single seater in nature. The emphasis is to be on control of the car through the track sections, rather than just all out speed.

Obviously control will be digital, and I'd like to explore some form of fuel load use. Is that possible with Scalextric ? If so does the car performance increase with "fuel consumed"? I'm assuming so, or what would be the point... I'd also be interested in an App for lap times, etc, which I think I can be accommodated with Scalextric. Most of the time, it will be solo operation, as I don't live near family nor interested friends, so some kind of timing and tinkering with fuel loads/pit stops, would aid with maintaining interest.

Although this is drawn in Scalextric, I'm open to using Carrera track, but I'm not getting on very well with the track designing program for that track. I'll try and persevere...

Any and all constructive thoughts or comments gratefully received.

Regards

F4H1

Attachments

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
Pit lane entry looks fine, I'd make the 2nd pit lane as long as you can.

Re the 3 CLCs at bottom, ideally you need min 1/2 straight before the sensor after a bend as the car will not be perfectly straight and the LED will miss the sensor so no lane change happens

For Scalextric simulations (fuel, tyres etc), look at RCS64/SSDC/ESRM etc, you need the 6 car APB C7042 and FTDI cable to connect. Or with Arc Pro there is the Magic app.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pit lane entry looks fine, I'd make the 2nd pit lane as long as you can.

Re the 3 CLCs at bottom, ideally you need min 1/2 straight before the sensor after a bend as the car will not be perfectly straight and the LED will miss the sensor so no lane change happens

For Scalextric simulations (fuel, tyres etc), look at RCS64/SSDC/ESRM etc, you need the 6 car APB C7042 and FTDI cable to connect. Or with Arc Pro there is the Magic app.
Thanks for that.

Something more like this, then?:

Rectangle Yellow Font Line Material property

And, for clarity, do you mean C7042 instead of the ARC Pro (or alternatively, the ARC Pro with Magic)?

Best

Scott.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

C7042 is the 6 car APB - with the FTDI cable you can run RCS64/SSD/ESRTM etc. for more complex simulations

Arc Pro is newer powerbase with wireless controllers - apart from stock Scalextric app there is the Magic app - never used it as don't have an Arc Pro

Have a read on forums, there are loads of posts on all of the above.

In short for quick racing Arc Pro may suit you, however if you're in to trains & tinkering then maybe the APB is way to go to get all the extra goodies like SmartSensor for pitting, start light gantry etc.

If you've deep pocket buy both!

BTW Carrera track need significantly more space than Scalextric.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

C7042 is the 6 car APB - with the FTDI cable you can run RCS64/SSD/ESRTM etc. for more complex simulations

Arc Pro is newer powerbase with wireless controllers - apart from stock Scalextric app there is the Magic app - never used it as don't have an Arc Pro

Have a read on forums, there are loads of posts on all of the above.

In short for quick racing Arc Pro may suit you, however if you're in to trains & tinkering then maybe the APB is way to go to get all the extra goodies like SmartSensor for pitting, start light gantry etc.

If you've deep pocket buy both!

BTW Carrera track need significantly more space than Scalextric.
Excellent, thanks for the help.

Scalextric track it is then.

regards

F4H1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi you can have the exit sensor put into the exit pit piece of track to make your twin pit lane longer ok

regards Ade.
Hello Ade,

Do you mean physically moving the curve lane changer sensor to the pit lane exit piece of track?

I'm also wondering if it is possible to physically lock the curved lane changer into position so a sensor is not required?

Best

Scott.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hi Scott

No keep the curve L/C

I meant you can put sensor in any piece of track which you will need if you use any computer as it will count laps when you go through pitlane

and pitlane speed ok .regards Ade.

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
I think what stagliner is saying is that you don't use the 1/2 straight with the sensor for the exit pit lane as this is a now non-functioning CLC as you will be taping it in place to be IN->OUT and just using a normal 1/2 straight in place of the sensor piece. So you can make the 2nd pit lane 1/2 straight longer, you want it to be as long as possible as stopping cars isn't always the easiest in short 2nd pit lanes

Font Rectangle Parallel Slope Graphics

Attachments

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
Meant to say you can squeeze ANOTHER 1/2 straight in to the 2nd pit lane by cutting the straight pit out and removing the last 1/2 straight as it's not required on the long piece of track.

See post 65 in this link, I did the cut cpl weeks ago, so the 2 suggested changes will give you 1 full straight longer 2nd pit lane.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=137945&page=5

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.