SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I've included some undulations in my rally track, Scalextric cars don't run well on it. So now I'm replacing all my Scalextric rally cars with ones which are more appropriate - mostly SCX. This isn't a problem with the later Imprezas (or the Focus, Lancer, etc) but SCX haven't done a '97-'00 Impreza.

I've got 2 options here:-
1) I have a spare Scalextric Impreza and a spare SCX chassis. Do I attempt to modify the chassis to fit the shell?
2) Forget that and buy an MSC 6001 Impreza?

This all hinges on the suitability of the MSC car. What do they run like on undulating tracks? Do they have a reasonable amount of track clearance, or are they only any good on flat (or virtually flat) tracks? I don't want to be throwing £50 at another rally car that will only ever get occasional use on my race track.

TIA
Stuart.

·
Matt Tucker
3,561 Posts
On my rally track the msc scooby flys round, and that is with quite significnat undulations. There are pics of it on SF (find the thread of the oxford round of slot rally gb 2011 and there is some on there). It also copes with ninco raid track but not the addtional obstacles. However on the severe incline found on the camal stage (look under wye valley winter slot rally 2011 thread) the bridge was too severe and it bottomed out but I do set my cars up as low as I think I can get away with
Matt

·
Tore
1,762 Posts
The 97-00 Scalextric Impreza has simple chassis, so it's quite easy to tune and convert to a Ninco sprung guide which should improve rally track handling a lot, but you probably want 4WD etc... and then it's probably cheaper to just replace the chassis with a SCX Impreza.

I checked mine and the complete running chassis from the SCX 01' Impreza is almost a perfect fit under the 97' Scalextric body. You need to shave off the "cooler" from the front of the SCX chassis and make new body mounts, but other than that it looks like a perfect fit.

Tore

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Thank you both for your input.

Tore...... Yes, you're right;- I'm after 4wd (along with better clearance). I have actually started to modify the chassis from an early SCX Impreza (the Carlos Sainz 4-door one, SCX8xxxx). However, I've got a later car (SCX60800) on the way to me so I'll check it out when it gets here. As well as the chassis I've already got several shells I can use for experimenting on, plus they are cheap and plentiful on eBay.

I'm going to do this whether I go for the MSC car or not. I was really just wondering if the MSC car would suit my needs - particularly as I'd also like a 6R4 and an RS200 at some point, but I won't have Scalextric.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one in that link is the one I'm using the chassis off Tore.
The '93-'97 4-door. IIRC it's sometimes referred to as the Impreza 555.

·
Horlicks Hero
1,941 Posts
I know you've previously mentioned a lack of enthusiasm for the Team Slot brand, but they did a few of these cars a while back. You can see the selection here... http://www.slot32.de/wbc.php?sid=185196908...ml&rid=1073. I have been looking for the Toshi Arai one on Ebay for about 3 years now, but they seem to be as rare as rocking horse poo. Slot32.de had it in stock, so I've bitten the bullet and ordered one today. I can certainly pass along my opinions of its quality when it arrives.

They also had the Avant Slot Ken Block Monster Subaru, so I grabbed one of those, too. Doin' my happy dance, doin' my happy dance. While I haven't been searching for one of those for quite as long, they do seem to have become equally rare. I guess that takes care of my shopping for January and February.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
QUOTE (stoooo @ 26 Jan 2012, 12:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know you've previously mentioned a lack of enthusiasm for the Team Slot brand............. I can certainly pass along my opinions of its quality when it arrives.
I'd appreciate that, thanks. If I think it will be no worse than my Celica is now, I may well have a punt on the Valencia one.

·
Horlicks Hero
1,941 Posts
QUOTE (StuBeeDoo @ 26 Jan 2012, 12:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd appreciate that, thanks.
You're welcome.

QUOTE (StuBeeDoo @ 26 Jan 2012, 12:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I may well have a punt on the Valencia one.

Yes, that is a very attractive livery, worthy of a place in anyone's fleet...

But I'm distinctly less impressed with this one...

Ewwwww, what were they thinking ?

·
Tel
4,090 Posts
Oooh I like that last one, pity its resin !!

·
Tel
4,090 Posts
The only thing I am not fond of on my MSC Scooby, is the brass "weights" they have on the front mounting posts ... I can't seem to get them off and daren't try too hard as the plastic is of the lightweight type

Personally I would place the weight on the chassis so the CofG is lower, and use a little less than I think those weigh ....

·
Horlicks Hero
1,941 Posts
My order has shown up from Germany. Very well packed, so Slot32.de are definitely a reliable vendor as far as I'm concerned. I'd have no worries ordering from them again in the future.

The Team Slot Subaru looks to be pretty well finished. It has a couple of rough spots, particularly the rear spoiler, but it looks good overall. I guess I'm willing to overlook slight imperfections for the sake of having an attractive and interesting model. I don't have a track up right now, so I can't test its performance, I'm afraid.

DSCF1444 by stoooo, on Flickr

DSCF1446 by stoooo, on Flickr

DSCF1445 by stoooo, on Flickr

DSCF1447 by stoooo, on Flickr

Here's a strange thing, though. Every reference I've seen for this car has said it's the Acropolis livery. Turns out it's actually a Catalunya livery.

DSCF1449 by stoooo, on Flickr

That's not a complaint, by the way, I'm just setting the record straight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts