SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
leaning bike

its cheaper at halfords - about £25!!!!

the rider is articulated and shifts his/its weight to make the bike lean! Apparently it works. I am a sucker for detail, so this put me off buying it myself. But wow!

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
The trouble with leaning bikes has always been that the rider position looks slightly strange when the figure isn't leaning. I can't really sy about this parrticualr model because the huge head make sit look weird anyway

Good find though, If Nikko can do it 1.24 then I don't see why scaley can't do an 18, even if it does look strange.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Well, if they could make a 747 carry hundreds of passengers through the air 1:1 scale, why couldn't they build a working one in 1:32?

I think that's a pretty dumb statement. Not only does it show your lack of knowledge behind the leaning system, but bhind engineering and modelling in general.

I'm 100% sure that if it were possible to design and manufacture a leaning bike at a reasonable cost to run with existing equiptment, then Hornby would have done it.

What would they have to gain from building a bike which did not lean if they could have made it?

Lotus

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe they didn't THINK you could make an articulated driver that would lean the bike. It might have been a line of research not explored, no one on this forum has stated it as a serious idea, though pendulums angled slots and cam/gear arrangements have been voiced.

This product apparently works very well, is £26 (at halfords) - and that includes a motor AND rechargeable batteries (not a cheap component), a hand controller, RC transmitter and reciever; detail has suffered and there is very little printing. Could this technology be developed affordably for slot racers? probably, if someone wanted to.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Don't worry. Hornby have looked at this product well before Xmas last year! It is 1:8th scale I believe. I pointed it out to them!

The Nikko product is unlicensed and is not handicapped by the need for miniturisation and the need for a guide to run in a slot. Remember that Hornby give each bike 2 coats of paint and a clear finish. The labour required to produce a smaller version of a model is little different to the labour required to produce a model twice its size. The cost of painting and detailing the Hornby product is probably more than the cost of part production and assembly. The Hornby product may be half the size of the Nikko r/c product but it has more detail. The Nikko product is a toy for minors only and does not have a collector appeal. The r/c components within the Nikko bike have production runs ammounting to many millions as they are used within the great proportion of r/c products sold worldwide. Does this help to put things into perspective?

You do have to ask if a leaning mechanism within a Scalextric MotoGP bike might harm the appearance to the extent that the bike no longer has a collector appeal?

Many of us at Slotforum already believe that the collector market is the most important slot car market. But of course that is not to say that slot cars/bikes should not ultimately be able to perform on the track!

Moped

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (moped rider @ 12 Jul 2004, 10:47)But of course that is not to say that slot cars/bikes should not ultimately be able to perform on the track!

I think the phrase is....."TOO DAMN RIGHT!"

Mark.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The other thing I forgot to mention is that if you do ever get to try the Nikko bike you may find that whilst it leans going into the first corner, the R/C skills required to get it back upright and leaning/turning into the other direction make it a virtually unworkable as a toy.

It will more than likely fall over at any attempt to do anything other than go straight ahead. Try it Astro and see for yourself. And as for surfaces that are not perfectly flat.....

There is a lot more to this leaning game than you may think!

Moped

1 - 8 of 8 Posts