SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have tried to write this mail for a long time, but due to my technical incompetence it has allways stopped when it gets to import the pictures. However last night I solved it by the help of photobucket,but by then it was to late to continue.

Scalextric for me started when my brother got a set for Christmas around 1973, and was then picked up again when my wife bought me a beetle set some 5 years ago. My three kids thought it was pretty cool, but it never realy took off until I early last summer realized Scalextric had realesed digital. That in a combination with finding this web site was the start of the idea of making part of the playroom into a permanent race track. All the permissions was granted from my better half, and the kids thought it sounded quite cool, especially after having spent hours back and forwards in the scenary section of this site. I must say there is some fantastic layouts, and even more amazing scenary out there nearly to the point that it scared me to start (even my family didnt think I had it in me to build scenary etc, especially since I have ten thumbs and not known for my practical skills.

However in July I decided to go ahead and build a permanent track, and after much search on this site I ended up with this layout:

The base buildt out of 12mm plywood measure 3.75mX 2.75M, and I am sure that the member I borrowed and modified his design will recognice it. I would actually take this oppertunity to say thank you to all of you who have given me ideas on design, scenary, etc and not least how to do it. The slotforum is just an emazing resource pool for people who would like to do this, and it is also great how willing you all are to help and answer questions when I am stuck. THANK YOU!

As the headline said I am trying to make a sort of mountain terrain from snowy Norway. The mountain and rocks are all buildt from styrofome and painted and trees and under growth are added before more snow gets put in its place.

And off course after a while I decided the track had to be painted white to make it more realistic. This is time consuming, but the result/effect is great! Any race course needs a bridge and a pit stop, and luckely some great ideas was to be found at thhis website, Thanks!

Some more scenary pictures:

Work in progress relating to previous pic:

Found two good lorries in a petrol station in France, they are in 1/32 scale but that makes it very big, especially since the pit stop are buildt slightly smaller than to scale!
A more finished shot of the first picture

As you can see from the pics it is still very much work in progress, but we are slowly getting there. I will try to write more later to update you on the progress, but also share some of my experiences and thoughts on what I would do diferent next time, or even this time. But I guess you have to learn to walk before you can run!

Another pic of the hair bend section:

Comments and questions are more than welcome! Once again thank you for your help ans asistance via this web site.

Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (mickymog @ 17 Jan 2008, 22:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very nice indeed! top work and lovely to see the kids getting into the hobby too!

Thanks, yes the boys enjoy both racing and building, while my daughter is more into the artisctics of it all, Per

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Very Nice indeed! .. Not that often we see a winter landscaped track. As I recall, rallyhub has one, parts of it .. who else? And might it be that you´ve copied *the-Graham-Lane-Esses* ?? But the cars in that last pix seem to sweep veeery close the railing ..

/ btw. not wanting to be picky .. but I take you´re located in Sussex, UK .. the heading in the topic is a very explicit
of
kind in finnish [the Snowy Country, ya know .. WITH the Sanity Clause feller, and last years almost mute F1 champ .. hmm, he dresses in red too .. weird!], not suited for the underaged .. never heard it been called *norway*, though .. /

-- ron --

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ron, You are right there is a bit of a typo in the heading, tried to edit it but it seems like you can edit the text but not the heading, or? I guess you are pretty much right regarding Grahams design, and the railing is quite close but not as close as it looks in the pic. Still plenty of space to crash out! By the way, the felllow you mention is from Norway, the fins have just hijacked him!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Who .. Kimi?!? Norwegian? .... oh come on .. what, a distant cousin to the Solberg brothers perhaps?

.. naaah, don´t mind me, it´s due time for my tranquilizers now .. so I´ll be off .. very so. .. btw. [as I might regret this] you can only edit your own reply within an hour of your reply. Let´s keep that in mind ..

-- ron --

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New scenary in the corner wit the petrol lorry leaving!

At the other end the ferrari truck is off-loading a aston martin? Just because my two Ferraries with DPR spends all their time being sent back and forward to Scalextric since they stop working after a lap or less as soon as I get them back
!

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Welcome to Slotforum

Everyone is equal here but some are more equal than others - so I edited your post to remove the title error and a bad picture link.

NICE track btw! Pictures 1 and 11 are my favourites. 1 for the smile and 11 for the scenery.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Swissracer for sorting my "small"errors!

A few lessons learned so far in our project:
1) Leave extra space for scenary
2) Remember that you should be able to get the cars back on its track after crash! With my design the kids cant do that unless they use a newly bought "claw" from a handicap shop. If I designed the track today I would have done it in a large L Shape maybe 1.70 to 2M wide so that you could always access the track, and it would also be a lot easier to finish off the scenary
3) Map out your scenary before you start, try not to do it as you do.
4) Try to paint the track before you finish scenary, it makes a mess!

Thats enough for know, more info on progress will follow. Have to go and digitalize a Revell Corvette that I bought on ebay earlier in the week, and the kids want a race
The track after it has been painted

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your nice comments!

Last night I worked on finishing the last corner over the bridge, and here you can see the result up close:

I wanted to try to make somethis out of the empty corner in fron t of the turn, so I made a bit of road with a petrol tanker.

The same area seen from the other end:

Finally two pict that shows the pit stop and my atempt to hide the lap counter:

Thats all folks, I'll keep you posted on progress if you wish?
Per

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (witness @ 19 Jan 2008, 10:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice layout and scenery, have you cacraficed a whole room for the track? Now that takes some guts

Rob

Hi Rob,
The room is quite big (4x5M) but when my better half agreed to this I do'nt think she realized how big it was going to be. She only saw that when the base was buildt, and then it was to late. Allthough I have to say she is pretty sporty about it, afterall she can see how much the kids and I enjoy it together! Per

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Perthor. You brought a huge smile to my face when I spotted this thread just now!
I am hugely flattered that you used my track design to create your own and followed it so closely! I hope you enjoy racing on it as much as you have building it. You will probably find yourself adding the, now famous, Lane Swerve Chicane to those R1 bends. It makes so much difference. Isn't that top corner with the two LCs fun? There are five different ways of taking that corner! I hope one day we can get a chance to try each other's circuits. All the best.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (Graham Lane @ 19 Jan 2008, 15:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Perthor. You brought a huge smile to my face when I spotted this thread just now!
I am hugely flattered that you used my track design to create your own and followed it so closely! I hope you enjoy racing on it as much as you have building it. You find yourself adding the, now famous, Lane Swerve Chicane to those R1 bends. It makes so much difference. Isn't that top corner with the two LCs fun? There are five different ways of taking that corner! I hope one day we can get a chance to try each other's circuits. All the best.

Thanks Graham, I hope I haven't done your design unjust! My plan was to build more or less the same size as your design, however I quickly realized that to do that I would have to kick out 6 double wardrobes, and I don,t think my wife would be to happy about that
So the only way to do that was to shorten it, allthough I must say we do love racing it, and we are still enjoying building it. One day it would be grate to get together, as I understand it you run a B&B in Italy, right? My wife loves Italy so that should not be imposible, and who knows you might fancy a Sussex pint one day with a bit of racing?
Per

1 - 20 of 376 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.