SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
16,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Often seen in Britain as the most glorious of all failures, British Racing Motors frequently fumbled from catastrophe to disaster, eventually arriving at the top in 1962 when Graham Hill won the Championship. Anyone who followed BRM was used to disappointment.

Everyone from Sir Alfred Owen to GP programme sellers held their breath, 'knowing' that it was only a matter of time before the dark green cars with their multi- cylinder howling would be silenced by mechanical failure - yet again. Despite all the trauma, though, these thoroughbred underdogs kept going.

Through it all, I remained a BRM fan until the end, and continue with unabated passion to exercise enthusiasm for the bl**dy green cars from Britain. Always beautifully made, they were often overweight, unnecessarily complex and unreliable, but were never less than glorious.

The story starts, of course, with ERA R1A at Thomson & Taylor, Brooklands, in 1934. All BRM yarns will be most welcome.
Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle Toy

·
Registered
16,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jumping the gun a little, the P25 scored BRM's first major victory, namely, the Dutch GP in 1959. We always refer to these cars as the P25, but it was actually Project 27. P25 refers more accurately to the designation of the 2.5-litre 4-cylinder engine.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
16,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The great Peter Walker in the V16. Like the BRM Peter cut a tragic figure for most of his life for he was terminally addicted to the bottle. He used to drink rough cider in the Horse & Groom pub in Hereford, occasionally trooping off to hospital to 'dry out.' He died in a house fire at his home in Worcestershire after dropping a cigarette down the back of the sofa.

What might have been...
Wheel Helmet Tire Vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
A couple of mine,.................

Graham in his 1/24 Cox.........

Graham's seat belts have long since been removed

Bob Bondurant in Bernhard White's privately entered P261........MRRC/Airfix shell on scratchbuilt chassis.

RIchie in his P56..................this was built from the rather hideous looking model from Lindberg......this car won the VRAA F1 proxy from a couple of years back.

The chassis built for the P56.....

The awful Lindberg, was modelled into the car above

Jackie in an MRRC/Airfix P261.........also on a scratchbuilt chassis

·
Registered
16,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I suppose that one of the joys of building and/ or collecting slot cars, is seeing gaps in the collection and trying to plug 'em. After the P25, I've got nothing until the car below. A '62 ' stackpipe' has been high on my list of priorities for ages, but just one example remains elusive.
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

1 - 20 of 165 Posts