SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Administrator
11,653 Posts
Amen Joel!

I'll try to add a couple pix in the coming weeks and days and hours and minutes.

I have a slightly different (US...) take on the origins of the word. For me, it was always the very disdainful way of referring to early US made vac-form bodies by the journalists writing for the magazines in 63-66: mainly CC "Pete" Hagenbuch in the Racing Midwest column, but also guys like José Rodriguez Jr., etc. (they all switched over of course, by 1966-67, as the difference in performance just became too great, and as some better bods came out).

I think they were mainly talking about early producers like Shark, K&B, etc., for whom the "blob" designation wasn't all that inaccurate...

à suivre...

Don

· Administrator
11,653 Posts
Ron,

Those last ones look like two of the three that Lancer made for the Cox 1/32 line (along with a Ford MkIV).

Joel, you're right about the date of the MRRC bodies of course, but I didn't really think anybody paid much attention to those at the time, not even going to the trouble of insulting them! Only the hand-carved/fiberglass bodies were being taken seriously in the UK at the time, whereas in the States, the vac-formed bodies were being used pretty early by some racers... That was my impression in any case, at least linguistically speaking!

Don

· Administrator
11,653 Posts
And the rather more blobby Fleischmann version... not so much the body per se, but the car as a whole!

And a rather more ordinary one from a year or so earlier, the Unique Lotus 30, still 1/24

· Administrator
11,653 Posts
In 1/32, a Shark Brabham BT8 - not really that bad, everything considered, and you don't find these every day!

And an unidentified Corvette roadster...

Some kind of stock car, made in England...

And a semi-scratch Cheetah, probably Dubro, made in USA...

And a battle-scarred Paxton Indy turbine car, by Lancer I believe.

· Administrator
11,653 Posts
Yep, an Iso was my guess too, partly because of the Chevy mention...

Alors?

And can somebody explain where and when the Mardave and Darnell shells are from? They don't ring a bell here...

I had never heard of La Stone before ebay, but now have a couple, and they had some very interesting choices (I think they were the ones that did a Scarab F1 in 1/32!). Was it a guy named Stone, or somebody in Ohio trying to say that Everybody Must get Stoned?

Don

· Administrator
11,653 Posts
CG,

The one on the left looks like a La Bostella, the 60s Thingie by Carrera, the one on the right could be a lot of things, one of those Lancer thingies or just a cut down wing car, and in the center? Got me!

Don

· Administrator
11,653 Posts
I just read a few days ago on SlotBlog that CC "Pete" Hagenbuch, Car Model's Midwest Racing columnist for many years and a pioneer in US slot racing, has passed away.

http://slotblog.net/topic/11678-pete-hagen...__fromsearch__1

Why am I announcing this here? Well, Pete was the one who "invented", or popularized the term "blob" for vacuum-formed bodies... He didn't like tin cans much either, but eventually came around to both as the performance gap became larger.

Don

· Administrator
11,653 Posts
Yep, I originally got it from Australia, thinking it was a Thingie, and was rudely corrected here on SlotForum! I believe it was identified at the time, and either Howmet copied mine, or he had already copiped one of these - it was a long time ago, and I don't remember!

I compared Gramps car to this, but it really didn't seem to be the same, so maybe there was another variant.

Don

· Administrator
11,653 Posts
I would guess Taylormade or maybe GT models offhand Joel, but I'm sure somebody will recognize them...

For the Mura motor, seems like a fairly standard 2 hole can from the late 60s - any markings on the arm? balanced? what size wire?

Nice lot!

Don

· Administrator
11,653 Posts
Yes, Joel I was just about to say a "short Magnum", and then saw John's response... as he says, this should be detailed in PdL's Mura article.

And yes, it's a good find! Can't remember offhand, but this may have been a special model for 1/32 cars...

Just checked the 69 Auto World catalog: M433 Mura Short Magnum motor, $9.95: similar to Mura Magnum 1000, but about 1/8" shorter, so it will fit in tighter places, even in 1/32 sidewinders. Same 30 thousandths can, unmeltable endbell...

Bingo!

Don

· Administrator
11,653 Posts
Ah, in that case it's easy Joel: Mini-Dream did a Mini-B Chaparral... in fact I think Luca does a repop of this one.

It didn't look that Thingified, nowhere near the Gettin' Thingie (I did one for Edo, but don't think I dared lower it as much as this!)

Don

PS: my first impression was also that the Mirage was a modern interpretation: are you sure it's period and any idea who did it? I don't remember a vac Mirage offhand... I'd also say the blue body is a hacked up Chappy - that ventilation pipe into the cockpit is a dead giveaway!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.