SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

Slot King
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a thread I have wanted to do for a long time, a recent PM from young Howmet, triggered it.
And in spite of the title, it is in no way connected to this annoying little chap.

I have used as a description the title of a previous thread where someone wondered (wrongly): Why clubs do not allow the use of vacform bodies?

I think the term blob bodies was mentioned as the main reason, and people suggested that this type of performance vac body attracted the rather unflatering nickname.

1/24 ?? by Parma

In fact, this is not the case, and it refers instead to the early vac bodies offered by MRRC, Mardave, JTN and others.

Ferrari 246 Dino and 250 SWB by MRRC

Ferrari Shark nose by ?MRRC?

MRRC and ?? US blob

As it says on the label

Ditto

Aston DBR1 by ?? (Hello Vincent)

Lister and Maserati by ???

It wasn't confined to small UK firms either.

250 LM by Troby and 1/24 Dino by Eldon

And it continues to this day.

Ferrari Monza by Betta??

Ferrari Mondial by Betta

Just as a contrast, this is the type of body that was available at the same time.

Ferrari 242 (a shameless recast of the Revell plastic model) and 330 TRI by Auto Hobbies

To finish for today, a little puzzle:

What is the car? And who made the vac body (1/32) (I know because I have read the label)

In the next few weeks, I will post more pictures of vac bodies (most of which do not deserve the blobby nickname).

Joel

Slot King
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don, I think the MRRC blobs were on the market first, and by far the worst of the blobs I have seeen.

Ralph, yes it does resemble a Mondial, from a distance and on a foggy day, but not much more than that.

Simon, all bodies are 1/32 unless I indicate the scale.

Now, just a few of the nicer ones.

Lancer Ferrari P4 canam

A built MRRC Dino, as seen in the first post

All bar one are vacformed (I've shown this one before)

Joel

Slot King
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Tony, I agree that it was a reaction by the more "scale conscious" racers, against the blobby little things.
But I think that generally, 60s racers had far more skills than I have, in particular, engineering skills (much better chassis back then).

Charles, I am not sure they are Mardave, I bought about 6 or 7 (glutton for punishment me), they are all underscale, and the 2 halves have all been over-sanded, so they are too thin too.
Whereas my only Mardave one looks more or less to scale.
Would love to see pictures

Dave, the Lancer P4 was bought more or less as is, I changed a couple of decals and added the exhaust/driver. It recently did rather well in concours at the Flanders meeting (until it was banned for being a blob) because most hadn't noticed it was a vacform. I have a T70 from the same batch which is actually nicer.

Keep them coming guys, I'll post more when I get back home tomorrow.

Joel

Slot King
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for all the pictures so far. I particularly like the MRRC E type.

Here are a few from the vaults, all of them Indycars from the best period:

All the above are 1/24th

Next 3 are 1/32nd

I now realise that I will have to learn to take better pictures, and make more of an effort identifying the bodies before I post them here.

Joel

Slot King
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ron, yes of course, the Russkit ones do count, although they are a bit "scale challenged".

Now that we can get resin kits of most cars, it is easy to forget that back then, vacforms offered a far greater choice than hard bodies (as per my Indycar shells above)

Now here are a few more interesting ones.

1/24th Maserati 450S by Pactra??

1/24th Maserati 151 by Pactra

And now the ugly one (Don has a much better Pactra/Lancer one)

1/24th Maserati 151 by Petite I think.

Now a couple of 1/32nd

Maserati 450 coupe by Pactra

Maserati 151 by ?? Probably Shark.

Just as a reminder, no one has taken up the challenge of identifying this yet:

Joel

Slot King
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Well I now know for sure that my styrene shells are Mardave, thanks.

I am very very interested in the Abarth shell (if anybody has one for sale, please)

I did not realise there was a Lancer shell of the MG Wasp.
Mine is labeled Astra, which is a new company to me, and the other is a repop of the Astra (unlikely to be Pato's)

Here is a Martos Chevy, right next to a 1/24th Numa 2 (but you knew that already, didn't you?)

Whilst we are on the subject of USO, here is one I am not too sure about.

Anybody would like to hazard a guess?

Joel

Slot King
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Charles, I am equally jaleous of your Abarth.

Before we start again with the vintage stuff, here is a modern vacform

PYL Healey in 1/24
Actually made in 2 parts

Now we start with one of my favorites, it must be a repop of the Airfix Mini. (Quite a common thing in those days)

Now a few GT models

Ferrai 612, 1/24.

Now 1/32

This last one is rather nice

To finish, a Lancer T70 (as mentioned above)

Joel

Slot King
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Mirrorman, I like the Humpy. The Japanese 250 LM is by Midori, it is based on the original 250 LM show car (as is the Hasegawa version)

Here is a family shot of cars I bought over the years, the back 3 are 1/24. front 3 are 1/32.
# 9 and #12 are regular racers, #27 is my fastest 1/32 vintage racer.

The obvious thing about vacforms is that they offer a really wide range if bodies, which other production methods cannot match.

This first one must be fairly recent, and by an unknown French manufacturer (I guess, who else would make that car?)

A blob body of a blob car if ever there was one, the eminently forgetable Renault Fuego.

Some Yank tank on the left, and a Mercedes 600 Pullman.

Austin 3 Ltrs

??? by ??? (car built by Graham Windle)

Mirage Ford (nearside is by Lancer in the traditional yellow)

A trio of Ferraris

Now a proper blob, Ferrari sharknose by Stormer

Argentinian March F1

Matra 650 by Taylormade (I think)

More to follow

Joel

Slot King
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
QUOTE (Mr.M @ 16 Jan 2012, 00:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's an 1800, Joel, not a 3-litre.

Jim, I knew I was going to get it wrong. There were other mundane cars listed then, I guess they just wanted to cover all possibilities.
By the same token: Why on earth would anyone want a Renault Fuego?

Al, let's have some pictures.

Joel

PS: 300SLR, thanks.

Slot King
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Rob, thanks for the ID of the Parry Thomas. Although mine is in styrene, they are probably from the same mold.

As for the Hunter, not sure, for a long time I thought is was a Taunus, but not sure about that either. In any case the position of the rear wheel arch looks suspect, so the overall accuracy may be naff too. Which is why ID is a bit of a puzzle.

But it must have been popular, because I have another somewhere in a box.

Joel

Slot King
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Bernard, thanks for posting.

Now a few bodies for the core of my collections: Ferraris!

P4s and P3s in 1.32nd
First one is a proper blob (unknown maker)

I think this one is by MRRC

Lancer (there are many different versions with different level of detail)

???

Professor motor repop of the Lancer

???

Select P3

Now a couple of unusual bodies (because Revell and Monogram made hard bodies of the same cars)

Joel

Slot King
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
A couple of questions about cars that have arrived recently, from 2 different ebay lots..

First from the US, this one in 1/32nd

What is the actual car, and who made the body?

Then from the UK, this monster, also in 1/32

To give you an idea of size, here it is again with an Airfix Mini

Same question, what is the car, and who made the body?

Thanks

Joel

Slot King
Pam by Select, it is rather nice and I will keep it, nice motor in there too (Mura labelled 16D) thanks Joel, why the Avatar??

Pete, what can I say, a Daimler Double Six, a hell of a wheelbase on that, was it a straight twelve? I have just looked in the Rampini book, no one listed as making a Daimler in there, any idea, Phil?? Tony??

Yes, I will keep going, but a little help would be most welcome.

Joel

Almost forgot, yes Tifosi, the mini is front wheel drive. Actually just got a 4 wheel drive one, in the same lot as the Daimler.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.