SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 394 Posts

· Registered
1,156 Posts
HI Don, i think your 'some kind of stocker' may be the gt bodies '68 charger? they did one in 1/32 - what scale is yours?

cheers, Ron

Charles - yes i agree - mardave would be my vote too - please post pics of yours if you dig them out - would love to see more of those too

· Slot King
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Tony, I agree that it was a reaction by the more "scale conscious" racers, against the blobby little things.
But I think that generally, 60s racers had far more skills than I have, in particular, engineering skills (much better chassis back then).

Charles, I am not sure they are Mardave, I bought about 6 or 7 (glutton for punishment me), they are all underscale, and the 2 halves have all been over-sanded, so they are too thin too.
Whereas my only Mardave one looks more or less to scale.
Would love to see pictures

Dave, the Lancer P4 was bought more or less as is, I changed a couple of decals and added the exhaust/driver. It recently did rather well in concours at the Flanders meeting (until it was banned for being a blob) because most hadn't noticed it was a vacform. I have a T70 from the same batch which is actually nicer.

Keep them coming guys, I'll post more when I get back home tomorrow.

Joel

· Premium Member
2,334 Posts
Not my cup of tea personally, but some delightful cars here and some simply beautiful craftsmanship. I shall look forward to reading this thread with relish!!!

The Ferrari's are just stunning!

· Premium Member
5,619 Posts
QUOTE It say's it's a Ferrari 275P, it's a fast back coupe. CG

Indeed. This body was also used by BZ for their RTR model. CLICK HERE.

The body was based on an experimental 250LM with the bigger engine, hence the 275LM name, and it only ran once at the Le mans April 1965 test. But Jonathan Thompson made a 3-view drawing of it that was published in one of the slot mags, and Lancer made one.

· Registered
1,156 Posts
ok, a couple more

here is my version of one of the very early mrrc blobs

i decided to try and 'work with' its blobby character and vintage feel, as i like my old slots
with their 'toyish charm' intact!

and another lola gt .. did i get that right?? i cannot recall manufacturer for this one??

and a kb porsche - this one for my daughter

all simple shells but with a bit of detailing - make up nice little bodies in my opinion
and i am sure will look far nicer if i finally get some proper little chassis under them
with nice wheels and rims too -

cheers, Ron

· Slot King
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for all the pictures so far. I particularly like the MRRC E type.

Here are a few from the vaults, all of them Indycars from the best period:

All the above are 1/24th

Next 3 are 1/32nd

I now realise that I will have to learn to take better pictures, and make more of an effort identifying the bodies before I post them here.

Joel

· Registered
1,156 Posts
very nice Joel!

here is a 1/32 cobra - a bit dusty ... dubro?

and do the russkit early 'blobs' count? i think these were vac form colored plastic ... but not sure?? charming

and some beautiful lancers ...

an old shot of some various ones traded away long ago

and a detail models iso grifo - still wet from a long overdue rinse - scudbong pete?? did you ever build that one up!?!?

regards, Ron

Ron

· Slot King
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ron, yes of course, the Russkit ones do count, although they are a bit "scale challenged".

Now that we can get resin kits of most cars, it is easy to forget that back then, vacforms offered a far greater choice than hard bodies (as per my Indycar shells above)

Now here are a few more interesting ones.

1/24th Maserati 450S by Pactra??

1/24th Maserati 151 by Pactra

And now the ugly one (Don has a much better Pactra/Lancer one)

1/24th Maserati 151 by Petite I think.

Now a couple of 1/32nd

Maserati 450 coupe by Pactra

Maserati 151 by ?? Probably Shark.

Just as a reminder, no one has taken up the challenge of identifying this yet:

Joel

· Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Some great models there, Joel, such as the Ferrari Dino and the battle-scarred Paxton.
As for the white shells in your first post, I tend to agree with Charles and Ron that they'd be Mardave, though your later comment about scale keeps us puzzling.
Anyway, when I posted a similar photo of the Aston shell a year or two ago, our experts agreed on Mardave and we found a couple of contemporary magazine references. Mardave also made a McLaren-Oldsmobile, a Ford GT (presumably GT40) and a Marcos 1800GT. Lister and Maserati were not mentioned, but yours look in the same style.
The Mardaves were in reasonably thick white polystyrene, at first with a gloss finish but then matt for better paint adhesion.
Here's the interior view of the Aston I had. (Don't have the shell now; exchanged it with another SF member.)

I'm delighted to see celebration of vac-formed shells here. I'm glad to still have most of my 1970s builds and have more than a dozen unused that deserve to be used, so I was disappointed when I joined SF to get the impression in the Scratchbuilding forum that they were now scorned.
However, a few days ago I did notice a thread there (active a year or two ago) in which one of the best scratchbuilders was using a vac shell for an F1 car. He was praising it for being thinner than the alternatives, enabling him to fit what he wanted in a well-scaled shell.
They were often out of scale and they have their disadvantages (e.g. race marshall handling, mounting single-seater suspension), but they're a damn sight easier to get a good paint finish on.
It'd be interesting to know how well vac shells sell nowadays - how many vacs v fibreglass at Betta & Classic, for example, though I suppose the f'glass range is smaller.
Pattos has a great range of vacs and they seem quite popular. Some are, well, let's say "plain", but others like the V16 BRM are very detailed.
Rob J

21 - 40 of 394 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.