SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 394 Posts

· Registered
1,684 Posts
I have always been a fan of the more accurate, detailed vac-form, but have found that the merest mention of it brings people out in hives.
I imagine it's OK to discuss them on this section, but woe betide trying to "push" the idea on scratchbuilding section. I think it smacks of a combination of fear and snobbishness. I have some Darnell vac-forms in white styrene, which I could build with ease to look like a good resin.
If the accuracy allowance is as much as +/- 2mm for wheelbases at open meetings, then one can hardly criticise the slightest error in detailing. And we have some appallingly poor resins which would be allowed.
I think the scrutineer's decision should be the only arbiter on both appearance and construction.

After all, if we didn't have resin, what would people do?

Here's hoping for a future with vac-forms.
Martin

· Phil Smith
2,735 Posts
I was building this for the canceled Presto Park Can Am meeting which unusually was to allow vac-form bodies.

This is a Betta vac-form plasticard Lola T260, I was hoping to get it looking quite good, well I had optimistic thoughts for it!
Guess I will never know as the chances of another retro event allowing vac-form bodies are quite slim.

· Phil Smith
2,735 Posts
I have never really liked vac-forms as I cannot paint cars from the inside out and was always on the side of the 'no vac-forms' party.
But recently I have realised that they have a place in retro/vintage events.
For me they provide a new challenge as they can be made to look good (painted on the outside!) but with a lot more work and expertise.
But I believe they must only be allowed at events where the final, and only, result is made up from a combination of concours and race positions so that a high standard of finish would be encouraged and maintained.

· Stranger Things 2
570 Posts
Had a little dig in some boxes and found these ... hopefully I can get some answers as to who made some of these bodies, as well as add to the vacform love.

Alway been quite interested in vacform so it's certainly good to see thread.

Ford GT40 Spider - Longnose:

Shelby Cobra:

This ones probably more like an AC Cobra than a Shelby ... What do you guys think?

Cheers, Michael

· Stranger Things 2
570 Posts
At least these bodies are easy to figure out who made them ... it's on the label for dummies like me.

Maserati Birdcage - Shark Racing Shells:

Titan II - Pactra :

Zerex Specila - Pactra:

Maserati 5000 - Pactra:

· Registered
398 Posts

Hi

We will start with the ugly, in this case a blob Sharknose. I have been trying to get photos to load properly and the camera I have is not the best, but will try to get some more up shortly! I had never heard of "La Stone Racing Products" but here it is in all of its glory.

all my very best,

Charles

· Registered
398 Posts
HI

Okay .. Trying again with some Darnell JNT and Mardave. The JNT is a Ferrari F-1 246, the Darnell is a Cooper.

Mardave Aston Martin, McLaren and Birdcage (Darnell?)

these were supposed to be in the previous post!

all my very best

charles

· Registered
398 Posts
Hi

Sorry to have to do this in multiple posts This is hopefully the last one.

One of my very favorite "blobs," mainly because of the subject, a Fiat Abarth.

And finally, my equivalent to Joel's mystery car. I have told this story elsewhere on the Forum. I bought this car at Polk's Hobbies in around 1970/71. It was in a big cardboard box of slot cars just thrown in. There is a Chevy insignia painted on the lower side of the front fenders. It sort of looks like a Cobra Daytona Coupe. it took me more than 20 years to identify it

Also ... on the MG Wasp. I will try to find it and hopefully it has a tag with it. I don't remember who made it, maybe someone else on the forum does.

And thanks for posting that link on the Wasp. Those sorts of projects seem to be a thing of the past.

Great thread Joel.

Any ideas on the Coupe???

all my very best,

Charlee

· Administrator
11,653 Posts
Yep, an Iso was my guess too, partly because of the Chevy mention...

Alors?

And can somebody explain where and when the Mardave and Darnell shells are from? They don't ring a bell here...

I had never heard of La Stone before ebay, but now have a couple, and they had some very interesting choices (I think they were the ones that did a Scarab F1 in 1/32!). Was it a guy named Stone, or somebody in Ohio trying to say that Everybody Must get Stoned?

Don

· Registered
4,591 Posts
I think Mardave went into R/C models later, making big scale white vacform bodies. I used to buy lots of the 1/32 shells from Teddington Model Shop with my pocket money because they were very cheap, and kept me busy with my X-acto knife and Humbrol paints for a satisfyingly long time.

Needless to say I am a big fan of vacforms. Mainly because they're much easier to make than sloshing smelly resin around in silicon moulds. Which then have to have complicated windows and lights and stuff glued in. 10 seconds to warm the plastic and- Bosh!- your work is done. And I think they look lovely. Pin 'em to the chassis, no more parping about with mounting pillars and screws.

Vacforms 10 points, Resins Nil.

· Registered
1,684 Posts
Don, Darnell were regular advertisers in early Model Cars magazines and were very popular in my club, where I had one of their Lola T70s.
Of course, white styrene vac forms meant you still had to bother with separate screens, but they were light and in the day nicely detailed or at least detailable. I think they could make a comeback if only clubs would allow them more.

Martin

· Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Here's an article, mainly on Mardave and Darnell shells, from Model Cars, Sept 1965.
It seems that Darnell supplied transparent sections for windows.

There's American info at the bottom of the page but I don't have the rest.

I had the impression that Mardave was started by two fellows named Martin and Dave, but apparently I'm wrong (again).
Rob J

41 - 60 of 394 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.