SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you guys have used a pulley system for suspending a layout from the ceiling and then lowering it when wanted
i want to suspend a approx 10ft x 5ft layout from the ceiling using a pulley system and need help as i cannot how to go about it any help would be as always appreciated

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm in the process of doing just that. My layout is 10ft x 20ft. I'm having a frame made of square aluminum tubing with a skin of sheet aluminum screwed to both sides of it to form a platform. It is sort of like a monocoque structure for a race car chassis. The whole thing is suspended from 8 pick-up points which feed rope through pullys to a tie up position on the wall. I'm using cleats like those found on sail boats to anchor the ropes on the wall. The rope and the rest of the hardware are from a rock climbing store. The whole thing can be raised or lowered by one person. It rests on folding trestles when it's down.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Jim, please post a photo or two if you can.

I want to do this too and have figured that I'll need at least 8 points and some sailboat pulleys. The hardware store ones are just [email protected] I have a hand winch, but I'm not sure what cord to use or how to arrange pulleys above the track.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes pls either pics or some detailed diagrams please

my other option but less preferred is having one fixed along the length of the garage on a long hinge so it would be lifted back towards the supporting wall (like a horizontal door if u can picture what i mean?) its a good idea but i think i would prefere the pulley option pls any more ideas it seams i am not the only person with this type of problem

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I think there could be quite a lot of interest in this.
Certainly I am another interested party, having had a crack at it about 15 years ago, for a model railway. I never got it properly sorted out before having to abandon the whole thing to make room for another car in the garage! Now am thinking of getting rid of the car and starting again, this time for a race circuit, so will look forward to more info, with great enthusiasm.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just curious but would any of you dare to sleep in the bed below your "raised" circuit given that you had the layout and the pulley system above the bed in the bedroom?

I definitely have one room that could accomodate this and it is not the bedroom!

Moped

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Nuro has the right idea. It`s about using quality components and the securing the ropes with max friction to prevent them slipping. I reckon you`d still be a brave manto sleep under it!

·
DT
5,195 Posts
QUOTE (moped rider @ 20 Apr 2004, 22:05)Just curious but would any of you dare to sleep in the bed below your "raised" circuit given that you had the layout and the pulley system above the bed in the bedroom?

Once pulled up, the track can be secured by straps so in the event of the winch failing (or a kid playing with it), a disaster can be avoided.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm in the process of building the table now and will post pictures when all is complete. Until then I would add that pulley systems intended for sail boats are very well made and work well for this process. The rope I am using is made of perlon and is intended for rock climbing. I think the diameter of the rope is 9mm. I'm sure that there are ropes used in sailing that would work well, too. There are large "eyelets" on the corners of the table and the rope is attached to them with caribiners also used in rock climbing. The rope is routed through pullies to the ceiling and then to the wall mounted cleats to be tied off.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
QUOTE (PAULH @ 20 Apr 2004, 20:26)
yes pls either pics or some detailed diagrams please

my other option but less preferred is having one fixed along the length of the garage on a long hinge so it would be lifted back towards the supporting wall (like a horizontal door if u can picture what i mean?) its a good idea but i think i would prefere the pulley option pls any more ideas it seams i am not the only person with this type of problem

I will try to do the same thing...
I'll try to make the platform that it can be clapped up against the garage wall...
I think that's a lot easier... and the only disadvantage is that you can't have loose parts on the track... so everything has to be secured...

G.

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Russell, thanks for the plug, and others thanks for the compliments - it's been a lot of fun building a slot track again after 15 years out of slot racing altogether.

I'll keep adding to my photobucket album and post here when there are additions. Next project is to finish the buildings and then put in trees and people. Decent gauge wiring went in last weekend and a new power supply is on its way.

Dennis

1 - 17 of 17 Posts