SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SCX made a series of cars called SRS. There are heaps of these on ebay, particularly the T5 Volvo. They use a plastic clip in chassis with steering front wheels (spectacularly unsuccessful imho)

It ain't pretty but it works!

With a few mods from the parts bin, these make a great alternative to some of the RTR kits and are soooo cheap. And the best bit? The Bodies they come with make great scenery additions as wrecks, suitably crushed and twisted and part buried in sand traps etc....

Best thing to do with a Volvo!!!!!

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I actually like the Volvos a lot!
The steering IS a little delicate and it's very difficult to relocate the tiny pin from the guide when it comes out of its little hole in the steering linkage. But, apart from that (which is admittedly INFURIATING!), I find these SRS cars make for terrific fun racing at less than 'speed-crazed-moron' velocities. I really really like them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE I find these SRS cars make for terrific fun racing at less than 'speed-crazed-moron' velocities. I really really like them.

yep. That's what makes 'em good for some of the1/32 scale Gunze Sangyo kits like the 55 and 57 Chevvies that have relatively fragile pillars. A little less speed and a lot more sliding makes an entertaining change to a glued down magnet car.

But Tropi, as for liking Volvos.........................

It is surprising how much emnity you can harbour in 29 years as a motorcycle rider...........paradoxically I once owned a mid 70's Volvo 164e. I bought it to stop all my mates cadging a lift

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
386 Posts
I really like the SRSs without the magnet, with sillies and weight.

and I LIKE watching the steering work. So, I am always willing to put up with that.

Fate

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Some years ago Scalextric released a range of Spanish imports in the UK under the SRS banner. The chassis looks very similar to the above except that it had a peg guide and no steering. The car came with a lightweight vacuum formed body and three back axle options each with a different contrate so you could match the gear ratio to the track. You could also adjust the magnet height and the rear track as the car has a threaded axle with the wheels held in place by lock nuts.

This is the Lancia LC2.

imo these were great slot cars: tune-able, maintainable and, when you got it all set up right, an absolute delight to drive - abba zaba zoom!

Shame about the Volvo Steve

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I like those chassis too, JP. Even though I never had one of the original SRS cars, the chassis are fun to set up. I've used one in my SWB Ferrari, and it goes great.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi John. Yes, the later ones are called SRS2. The original SRS like your Lancia are a bit hard to get and sorta collectible so not a very good option for a donor chassis.

The Rydell and Brock Volvos are cheap (go for as little as $15.00 on ebay) as expendable. and they come with a driver plate interior. I picked up a couple at a swap meet for $10.00AUD.

I used one to mount a 55 Chevy Nomad for my son. I took the steering off because I got frustrated trying to relocat the pin.

The rear tyres are stock Fly jobbies and the magnet is quite weak by any standard.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts