SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 456 Posts

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you will have noticed my fascination with the Ninco and Scalex Super GT cars, a condition which shows no sign of relenting. In fact it's got so bad I've done a few reliveries, and having almost exhausted the range of available decals, even tried printing my own...

This started life as a plain white AutoArt Porsche GT3R. It's been lowered, light circuit removed and is awaiting some BWA wheels. It's also my first attempt at printing decals.

Some of the decals have come out fairly well, but I'm really struggling with decals that need white text on a black background (no ALPS, it's an inkjet printer). The black keeps breaking up, and despite playing with various printer settings I haven't been able to cure it, so any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I'd like to get this sorted because waiting in the wings are two more reliveries -

Nomad Mosler (Ninco Mosler with nose vents filled and smoothed)

and what will hopefully be the Eclipse Supra

Both cars have primarily white printed sponsor names over black backgrounds, and I'm kinda stuck at the moment

A little further down the line is this beastie, a modified AA Gallardo. Lowered, no lights, Slot.It gears and it will also have BWA wheels.

It's the first time I've tried such extensive body mods and I'm really pleased with the results so far. It's even vaguely symmetrical!

Ideally it should end up looking something like this

White decals on a bronze background should be an interesting challenge! And if someone could point me to a clear image of the 'triple a publishing' logo I'd be very grateful.

Basically guys -

cheers,

Rob

·
Ian
99 Posts
Rob,
Great to see your projects coming on GT3R looks neat and you have removed all the negative bits of the AA car. I like what you have done to the Gallardo too it's going to look great.

Started off with scratch building Buildings then the scratch Built track now cars………

Good to see that someone's projects are coming to fruition

Sorry I'm no help on the decals

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
If its any help at all, I use 'transparency film' setting for my decals, 360 dpi. Doesn't sound much really but the results speak for themselves

·
Registered
571 Posts
I love your Porsche.

I had a lot of trouble with black decals breaking up. In the end I believe the trick was printing the black as a colour rather than using the black ink cartridge. The black ink is different to the ink in the colour cartridges and seems to react strangely when used as a decal. (I hope this makes sense!)

The way I get around white text is to print the decal on clear paper with the text clear. Then I paint a small white box where the decal is going to be placed so that the white shows through when the decal is placed on top.

Keep us up to date with more photos!

JS

·
Registered
998 Posts
I read somewhere...probably on here (!) that Epson inks can play up with decals so could be a problem if you are using those?

Alan

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to your advice, a bit of progress. The Mosler is just about finished except for lacquer. The decals aren't perfect but definitely getting better.

Also just about finished is the Supra. Still a few minor decals to finish, but I'm really pleased with this one

The three guinea pigs together

Still a long way to go for the Gallardo, but it's getting there.

cheers,

Rob

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks mate

The silver lines on the Porsche and the design on the Mosler were painted by hand. The supra was more complicated, the main sections of black and red were sprayed, though some of the black stripes were tidied up by hand. The silver stripes are bare metal foil, and the red stripes on the silver are decals.

cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
153 Posts
Fantastic work Rob!
While your work on the Lambo is impressive, I'm really in awe of what you've done with the Supra. That is a complex livery and I'm amazed you pulled it off with inkjet decals and custom painting.

Great job!

Steve

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks gents
I'm really pleased with way the Supra turned out. It's kinda fun, in a mind-boggling, masochistic kind of way...

A couple more; first up the Bandai Supra. This one was easy, I ordered the decals from Patto's

Scalex DBR9 - it's a fantasy livery, but I wanted one to run against the Skylines etc. The car was a cheap grab from ebay, the decals are spares, mainly Patto's and Iceman.

Finally got round to respraying my Ninco-powered Enzo. While it was in pieces again, I evicted the driver (Mr Frank N Stein) and fitted a Scalex driver instead. Hopefully Swiss will now stop saying the car looks ****e...!

Couldn't resist a few more pics -

Nine different Supra liveries...

...which form part of a 29-car grid! (Obsessed? Me?)

The Gallardo's going to take a while longer, but it'll be finished one day. I'm thinking about trying a few more repaints - maybe one day

cheers,

Rob

·
Matt Nicholls
1,999 Posts
Simply amazing JGTC/Super GT collection!! It eclipses mine which comprises: 2 Skyline's, 2 NSX's, 2 Supra's and a 350Z!! Enzo looks even better with the racing driver, but why not go all the way and stick a wing on the back, add a few decals and you'll have another fantasy Super GT car!! Also, perhaps a Ford GT converted? Just a thought...

Matt

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Matt, glad you like my little collection
You got me thinking about the Enzo - maybe the Course Director's car....?

The Gallardo is gradually coming together, waiting for the lacquer to dry on the last of the decals and for the wheels which should be here soon-ish. Here it is so far -

I've been able to cheat a bit with this one, the Lamborghini and Sector decals (including the watch) are spares left from the Iceman sheet for this car -

Next up is this Viper, nearly done (waiting for one decal!). The decals are mine, the silver stripes are bare metal foil. Nowhere near the quality that some of you achieve, but what the heck, I'm having fun!

On the to-do list are more cars awaiting Super GT liveries

Ninco BMW M3

Scalextric Skyline

and last but not least this Ninco Porsche GT3R. This probably going to end up as more Milliput than original! New front splitter, front wheels arches and flared rear arches - it's now as wide at the back as a Supra!

I think my decals are gradually getting better, but they've still got a long way to go. Practise makes perfect I suppose!

cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Rob, the best thing is, from that top down view, i couldn't tell the painted from the factory!

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Rob, the best thing is, from that top down view, i couldn't tell the painted from the factory!

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
They are all excellent.
Where did u get the foil from?
How do you use it?

1 - 20 of 456 Posts