SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Among the many classes we run at Farnham are some real old favourites - Ninco NC1 GTs and SCX SRS2 Le Mans.

After running for so long it's clear in both classes that there's one car that works better than the rest. In Ninco NC1 the Ferrari F50 and Porsche 911 GT1 are shown a clean pair of heels by the McLaren F1 GTR, while in the SRS2 class the Mazda 787 gets left for dead by the Jaguar XJR-14.

As a result of this everyone has the same car, often in the same livery, which can cause delays sorting out whose car is which from the pile at the end of a race, or prompt 'senior moments' where you're working the controller feverishly while watching what the other bloke's car is doing.

To try and reduce the number of times I am guilty on both counts, I went to visit Patto and chucked a bit of paint at them, topping it all off with Klear varnish. Here are the results.

Ninco McLaren F1 GTR (formerly Gulf no.34), as the same car in a one-off livery used in China. Driver repainted as James Weaver.

And the SRS2 Jaguar - stickers removed and simply replaced with decals from Le Mans 1991, driver repainted as Andy Wallace.

I don't suppose it's done anything in terms of lap times and I'm not sure how long the lettering on the tyres will last but at least they'll be visible in the crowd!

·
Premium Member
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks chaps. I'm giving the McLaren a run on Wednesday so will let you know how the weight penalty affects it!

It has been quite sluggish accelerating out of right handers of late, which I put down to worn braids. Turns out that it was the left rear wheel spinning on the axle, so I've scored the axle a bit and superglued the newly-bronze wheel back on. Should be an improvement!

·
Premium Member
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the McLaren had its first competitive run last night. Average was somewhere around half a second slower than the rest of the F1 GTRs - at best about 0.2 at worst nearly a second.

In fairness I don't think it was a paint issue - although it does feel a little heavier - there seems to be an intermittent connectivity problem.

Also some driver-induced slowness. You need to keep up momentum with the NC1 cars and if the back end steps out of line you need a fairly long straight to get back up to racing speed.

More time to enjoy watching it go round!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts