SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Hi, and happy new year.
I have been in the need of something that equalled the tracks I normally race on, to test my cars, but living in a flat, it's just not possible.
Then I came up with this.

Only 1 lane, but 2 times round in each end it can be used to test how the car is cornering.

I started up yesterday at 10 o'clock by driving to the store with wood.
Got the primary plate and the sidepans from the saw, the guy there are much better sawing than I.

4 hours later I had this.

Sidepans mounted and the surface cleaned for painting.

12 hous later, 2 layers of paint, and some copper mounted, track tested.

Included in the time spent I was producing 2 dff. sets of wheels, eating 2 times, driving for getting the paint, kissing my girlfriend and drinking a beer.

Today I will cut away a little piece of the copper to enable the deadstrip, and mount the last wire for the counting.

A little cleaning of the apartment is needed too

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For what it was built for, it's perfect.
I, my self, was amazed that I could power the track half a day after the begining of the construction.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi Kai
I llike this very much

I am thinking about doing something similar as i build up my skills to do a full size 3 lane routed track

As requested i got a router for Christmas
just one quuestion what size bit is best to use? using 1/32 cars of course

Cheers Wayne

·
Registered
446 Posts
Looking good Kai.

Cheers Nick

·
Registered
876 Posts
Very nicely done, Kai!!! Like you I'm limited in space for a full blown track and have been contemplating doing a one-laner for more than a year...now that I've found a surface (texture paint) that allows me to go magnet-free it'll be a reality when Spring arrives.

What's interesting about a single lane track is the length one can get from 4'x8' - my design will give me around 40' a lap...take a look at what are called "single line drawings" for some interesting layouts.

I know you said you purposedly built it for "testing", but don't discount its racing/competitive use - autocross (Solo II here in USA) is one of the most competitve forms of motorsports - some say when they want something easier they'll take up road racing. Anywhat, put in a lap timer and have folks race against the clock for 1 or 5 or whatever number of laps...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.