SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys - any advice on prep and undercoats - also any decal friendly varnish's etc advice would be appreciated. What works best for you ?? I am desperatly keen to hear what others do and especially with tecniques used , brush ? airbrush? cans ? Pin some results ?? i am keen on doing F1 cars - lining up the BAR & The Lola (97) and poss a fantasy one out of my own head
Also if anyone wants to sare the secret of decal creation I would love to know - I have NEVER tried that - didn't even know you could get the decal paper for printers - Also I have only just returned to the hobby now my youngest has reached an age where he won't do an impression of Godzilla over my stuff - (So alot of these ideas are new)

Cheers

Rich

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
same here for undercoat and colour - halfords spray can paints seem a lot more idiot proof than a lot of modelling paints, so they suit me really well! Primer, 2 medium coats, some fine sanding, then about 3 or 4 top coats - as thin as my patience will allow. Some sanding between coats helps but is often overlooked!

Decals, and 3 or 4 coats of Klear floor polish. I had a bad experience with plasticoat varnish, Klear seems a lot safer.

In the end its not as smooth as a Fly finish - but not a million miles off either. With more patience it would be better.

The cans make big droplets of paint - i think less sanding would be needed if i got an airbrush and could be bothered with all the cleaning that goes with it

·
John Roche
4,203 Posts
QUOTE "and their laquer doesn't seem to do any harm to decals"

Wanna bet

Hi Phil,

Obviously your experience differs but I've used it with both Patto and MRE decals without any problems. I do always leave at least a day for decals to dry before spraying laquer.

John

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have redecalled about 25 cars using Pattos decals and finished with Halfords laquer in every case and as yet have not had a problem.
Thats probably put the mockers on things!!!

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Pattos I've had no real problems with, but MRE nearly always react for me.

I have tried leaving them for a couple of weeks, dusting dry coats on etc, but then when you want to get a good final finish they react!!

Klear coat is not bad but beacuse it is slow drying you tend to get dust specks and of course you cannot give it a fine sanding or final t cut or anything like that.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
while were on halfrauds,

there doing a buy 2 get 1 free offer on the 300ml paints, I just bought a red primer, pepper red (ford) and laquer all for £9.98! cracking value!

Inte

1 - 11 of 11 Posts