SlotForum banner
921 - 940 of 1001 Posts

·
Slot King
3,167 Posts
A couple of weeks ago, I showed a 1/24th Citroen SM I am building for a race meeting next month.
I have made more progress with it.
Back in 2017, I built a Lamborghini, and just for fun the driver was smoking a cigarette. One of the guys there said "it would look better if there was smoke"
Water Goggles Outdoor recreation Eyewear Cap

So, for the SM, I did that using cotton wool. I showed it to people at the club and Alan (anddelanyn20 here) "he should have a spare packet of Gitanes)
Toy Automotive design Arthropod Bumper Automotive exterior

So today I grabbed tis filefrom the web, resized it and printed it.
Font Electric blue Technology Advertising Brand

And here it is on his dashboard.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Car

Joel

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Love the ciggies liveries, nice to see scaley representing the cars in period correct colours and logos as well.
Be interesting to research which race/series had the most ciggies sponsors, F1and LM certainly, but also Spa 24 of the seventies and eighties.
History is just that, you can't change it, many things that were accepted or tolerated back in the day are now non pc, ciggies being one of them.
One wonders if chocolate and Coca Cola may be like that eventually.
Love the SM ,hope it goes as well as it looks.

·
Slot King
3,167 Posts
Not just Coca Cola/sugar, I reckon internal combustion engines too, and probably not that far away either. Opinions change, many of the heroes of our history (whatever country we hail from) were in reality murderous bas**rds.
As a life long non smoker, tobacco sponsorship doesn't bother me, but I can understand that other people may have a different point of view.
The Citroen is a heavy girl, probably 50g plus for the body (I dare not weight it), I am busy this morning shortening the gearing to try and get some brakes.
Thanks for the good wishes.

Joel

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The ban of smoking brands should be revoked in Motorsport, it’s useless imho, people will smoke, drink,etc etc whether government or sporting authorities forbid it or not, in the meantime they only leave us without great liveries for racing.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Not just Coca Cola/sugar, I reckon internal combustion engines too, and probably not that far away either. Opinions change, many of the heroes of our history (whatever country we hail from) were in reality murderous bas**rds.
As a life long non smoker, tobacco sponsorship doesn't bother me, but I can understand that other people may have a different point of view.
The Citroen is a heavy girl, probably 50g plus for the body (I dare not weight it), I am busy this morning shortening the gearing to try and get some brakes.
Thanks for the good wishes.

Joel
It wasn’t really the tobacco livery that bothered me; I accept that this is how things used to be and I’ve even (reluctantly) made a few slot cars with the liveries myself. I was more concerned with the, maybe humorous, modelling of a figure in the car actually smoking.
Mike

·
Slot King
3,167 Posts
It wasn’t really the tobacco livery that bothered me; I accept that this is how things used to be and I’ve even (reluctantly) made a few slot cars with the liveries myself. I was more concerned with the, maybe humorous, modelling of a figure in the car actually smoking.
Mike
Well, for me, if one is acceptable, so is the other. It's either yes or no.

The 1/32nd smoker was based on this picture of Fon de Portago (are they really refuelling his car?)
Photograph Motor vehicle Human Black Black-and-white

And the idea for the Gitanes smoker came from the one and only Patrick Depailler with a packet of the best, dressed in his full Marlboro regalia.
Sports uniform Sports jersey Jersey Sports gear Sleeve

Joel

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
It really does make me laugh,what a poxy sterile vanilla world we have allowed it to become,how ever did we manage to get here with out the aid of health and safety,and the bleeding heats and artists ,who just have to have something to gut whinge about,you may laugh you may scoff but for those of us who can rember what life was like without ,the so called woke attitude that seems to have permmiated nearly everything,the world really was a better place,when it was your own dammed choice if you did or didn’t smoke not a choice for the latter forced Upon you buy someone that usually barely qualifies as human let alone self identifies as one
so in defence Joel I’d put another packet on the other side just to get on their tits

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I wonder how many people actually started smoking just because a race car was sponsored by a tobacco company, I doubt any research was really done. Other students (the cool, intelligent ones) at my school started smoking because it apparently made them look cool/hip/trendy/mature, not because McLaren Hondas were sponsored by Marlboro. I just bought slot cars.
I imagine a huge queue gathered outside every tobacconists on a Sunday afternoon after the F1 race all desperate for a cigarette.

Everyone I know who smokes now, smokes roll ups, never seen a race car sponsored by Old Holborn though.

Alcohol sponsorship doesn't and won't make me thirsty unless my favourite brewery starts sponsoring Ferrari or Alfa Romeo.

The PC brigade will sadly win in the end. Whatever happened to freedom of choice?

Cool Citroën Joel, the interior is brilliant.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Mates at school mid seventies smoked Consulate, a milder menthol type brand aimed at the fairer sex.
Never bothered personally, never tried a ciggie at all, always loved the JPS 72, Marlboro P160 and M 23 etc, if I would have been smoking I doubt I'd change brand just because of F1 allegiances.
Wasn't a Shadow once sponsored by Samson rough Shag.

921 - 940 of 1001 Posts