SlotForum banner
61 - 80 of 831 Posts

·
Slot King
4,006 Posts
Guys, thanks for the suggestions, it's much appreciated, in my thick head I had decided that starting from a 312P was the best way to go. Now I am a little bit confused, I'll measure things and decide how I progress, I do have a couple of spare Fly Chevron, and Ian is easy to contact if I need to.

Joel

·
Slot King
4,006 Posts
3 Breadvans, don't know who made the first 2, but the black fibreglass one was made by the late great Derek Cooper.
Car Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Vehicle

Circuit 24 was the generic name for slotcars in France in the same way Scalextric is in the UK.
250TR, 1960 LM winner.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

If you thought the Fly Daytona was a bit wide (you would be right) but see what someone did to it in the early 70s in order to comply with the silly racing rules of the period. Thunderslot is now halfway to the same sillyness. The one on the right is more to scale, recast of the Ikko model.
Car Vehicle Toy Automotive lighting Hood

And just for fun, another picture of the Hasegawa 1/24th Dino. Currently sitting in my "to redo" pile. (I lent it to someone at Rockingham who totally trashed it crashing every lap going full pelt into the first corner).
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive design Wheel

Joel

·
Slot King
4,006 Posts
A pair of 512, from the days UK rules allowed for all bodies to be a max of 64mm, although nice those 2 are a tad too wide. Most probably made by GT Models.
Automotive lighting Amber Hood Gold Vehicle

This one looks better in the flesh, fast too, made by Dynamic. I believe the same body in thicker material was later used by Parma.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive design

64 and 62 GTOs, not many in vacform I guess because Monogram and Revell respectively made good hard bodied versions.
Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Toy

I think someone mentioned the Beta range of bodies vacformed from polystyrene, here ae 2 example showing that it works OK for the early cars, less so for the more recent one which lack details.
Rectangle Automotive design Cuisine

Where else are you going to get a 348?
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

We've seen the one at the front, at the back is a 330TRI made by ?? Could be Dave Yerbury.
Automotive lighting Wood Motor vehicle Automotive design Plastic

To finish a 1/24th GTO made by Marx (the company, not Groucho or Karl) sitting pretty on the old Southend track.
Vehicle Wheel Tire Car Hood

Joel

·
Slot King
4,006 Posts
Thanks Eddie

The great looking Aurora 612, next to the Riggen version (I like the colour on that one)
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

And next to the John Bacon copy. To explain back in the 90s?? John Bacon in Australia started making a range of fibreglass bodies based on original master and also copies of slot bodies from the sixties. Then came the internet and a model shop called Mundaring Hobbies put a list of available bodies on their website. He was swamped. Sadly the moulds were eventually destroyed. If anyone has a list of his bodies, please post it here.
Vehicle Car Automotive design Input device Toy

750 Monza by Barcelona Universal Models, a bit crude underneath but nice choice of subject.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Strombecker P2, modified and built as a static by the unknown scratchbuilder. One day I will motorise it.
Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car

Monogram 275p modified to the 330P version raced by the Mecom team , by the same builder (nice job too) Looks like a 275P with a P2 back end.
Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive design

Car Land vehicle Tire Wheel Vehicle

Joel

·
Slot King
4,006 Posts
Earlier in the thread, I showed a group shot which included a 250 Lusso.
Here is how it was made. Some time back in 2000? (may be before), I decided to make a Lusso starting from a damaged Ferrari 250SWB shell.
Mixture of Milliput and Humbrol putty (not a good idea)
Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car Wheel

More Milliput
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Hood Automotive lighting

Getting there
Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Gas

And there it sat, unfinished.
Vehicle Car Hood Tire Wheel

Fast forward to 2008 and I decided to use the body for a race meeting in Bordeaux.
Scribing the panel lines.
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Detail bits
Wood Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Musical instrument accessory Quill Metal

Creating the grill (tricky)
Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory String instrument Musical instrument

Tricky and fragile
Grille Mesh Water Line Wood

Make the interior starting from a Ninco one.
Green Cutting mat Telephony Communication Device Gadget

Hand cutting the windows from flat sheet.
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Ran out of picture allocation, part 2 below

Joel

·
Slot King
4,006 Posts
Part 2
Make a mold and cast a few in case you fluff the build.
Food Ingredient Tableware Baked goods Dish

Repaint the red one because you can't be asked to finish one of the others, put the wrong shape numbers on because you've realised at the last minute you don't have the correct ones.
Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Hood

Job done, sitting on track waiting for concours judging.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Joel

·
Slot King
4,006 Posts
A little bit of slot history.
1/24th Ferrari 246 Dino, aluminium master and a couple of cast bodies.
These were made by a couple of guys trading as Carlton Iredale in the late 50s and early 60s. Apparently they emigrated to Australia and sold the business to a John Darnell.
I managed to buy all the masters and a number of bodies as one job lot, see the whole saga here
Shoe Carmine Fashion accessory Metal Office supplies

And just for fun, here is a PP nasty little Dino of some sort, in my favorite colours. It gets raced regularly at SSRC even though it is totally useless (my only car for that class).
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Joel

·
Slot King
4,006 Posts
Now that I am in France, I have been able to take some pictures (most of my Ferrari collection is here)
All 1/32nd, in no particular order.
Polistil's idea of the 308 (or 288GTO).
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

One of the last kits produced by Protoslot I believe, 512BB
Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

The plain coloured 333 by SCX were rather dull, but this one is quite nice, not sure it ever raced in those colours.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Now a few that did take some finding.
We did discuss the lack of a 1/32nd Lusso on the market, this one was released by MSSlot I think it's not longer available but you could contact Mario and ask.
Green Product Font Material property Hat

I bought this by sheer luck from Pendle at the Milton Keynes swapmeet many years ago, I know the company was called Sotissimo but that's it, no other details. It is truly stunning.
Vehicle Car Tire Wheel Hood

Last but not least, the 335S by Slot Classic (their first car I think) It took my ages to find one for a reasonable price.
Car Vehicle Tire Hood Shipping box

Joel

·
Slot King
4,006 Posts
"Nice" pink colour scheme on this 1/24th MRRC P3
Car Vehicle Hood Toy Wheel

I hope someone will be able to recognise this 1/24th P4 body, bought on eBay Germany and fitted with a race chassis. I don't think the body is terribly old, to me it looked like a repop, but of what?
Wheel Tire Toy Vehicle Car

Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design

Monogram is well known for producing gorgeous hard slot bodies, so why did they produce such an ugly vacform? 1/24th P2
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Did I say the P2 was a favorite of slot manufacturers? Here are 2 in 1, First the Atlas 1/24th version with a brass chassis.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Car

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Car Automotive wheel system

Next is the chassis used by Faller of GErmany under the same body. It's fitted with a drum brake of questionable effectiveness.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Green Automotive design Vehicle

Joel

·
Slot King
4,006 Posts
Thanks to the angled gears the rear axle moves sideways when power is removed and apply additional braking via the drum.
Here is a better shot.
Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Engineering Auto part Drill accessories

To my eyes, it's a bit naff, they would have been better off using a motor with better magnets; but the slot world is full of these "great idea that never did work" strangely enough I frequently see the same mistakes being repeated, either by current manufacturers; or people on this forum advising others to do the craziest things (that they clearly haven't tried themselves).

Joel

·
Slot King
4,006 Posts
Just a quick update today (been busy)
Many people will know the 60s Revell 250 GTO manufactured both in the US and the UK (Potters Bar)
Here are 4 of the available colours, I did manage to buy a green one once, but sadly the parcel got lost.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Land vehicle Hood

And the different chassis they came with
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Toy

A bit of a favorite this one, 500 Superfast by Stabo of Germany.
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

A few years back MRRC launch a 275P made using the original 60s mould from Monogram. best version is this one and not just because of the number.
Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Motor vehicle

555 Super Squalo by Cartrix
Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Toy

That's all folks

Joel

·
Slot King
4,006 Posts
OK, here is today's ration of Ferraris
Another one of my abandoned projects, may be one day I'll turn it into a LWB California.
Car Vehicle Hood Tire Wheel

And, another John Bacon body, people do not assign great value to those, but they are quite hard to get.
330LMB.
Hood Car Automotive design Vehicle Composite material

A better view of that Ikko Daytona model recast (modified to the racing version).
Car Hood Vehicle Automotive design Classic car

A favorite in my collection, no prize for guessing which car it is, but what did the unknown scratchbuilder start from?
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Toy Hood

To finish, the best F40? In the best colour? (SCX of course)
Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

Joel

61 - 80 of 831 Posts