SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
Wow, that's looking great! Can't wait to see more pictures and watch it develop. Couple of questions: great guardrails! how did you make them? And, nice painted track -- what kind of paint created that nice effect?

·
Registered
166 Posts
JMSWMS - The guard rails are very simple, 3mm brass tube for the posts and the rail itself is corrugated cardboard cut to two corrugations high. Both painted before installing with a cheap can of general purpose silver paint. I also used the on the roof of the houses but these are not shown much in the buildings as I havn't attached them or finished the buildings yet but hopefully this weekend the three will be completed.

The track surface is painted with a product called Spray Stone, it is mainly used for decorating where it gives an object the effect of an old sandstone finish but in different colours of course. I did plan to use it on the buildings to give a great rendered look but it ate through the foamcore walls on my test house ! It is sold in Australia by White Knight, a google search might tell you more.

BEEJAY - They are brave standing there, althou its a low speed part of the track and rally drivers are some of the best in the world who rarely crash, hey Mr McRae.

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
Your track is looking really nice Martin. That's a clever use of corrugated cardboard too. Another option, although not as economical as yours, would be to take a similar cutting approach from Plastruct or Evergreen styrene corrugated roofing sheets. Thanks for sharing your work.

Brad

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
OUTSTANDING Martin, superlative work.............your roads really look like well aged asphalt - MOST EXCELLENT!!!
We have a similar product called Decorators choice granite texture finish........I looked at it but thought it was a bit dark...DOH!!!!!
Maybe Next time

Looking very good, cant wait to see more.

If you have time, can I suggest perhaps a little story with each new picture you share describing perhaps the scenic items and how you did each...........It will really add a lot of value as reference for those who will come after......Including Myself

Beautiful!!!!

·
Ian
99 Posts
Martin,
Brilliant! When I first saw this I thought "this guy's done this before!" I went to your site and sure enough two other tracks all very nice too.

No one else seems to have mentioned the Ice/Snow on the last two photos what was that made of? Look's great. I would like to see an overview of the whole track, when you next get round to getting the camera out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the encouraging comments, much appreciated.

I saw the cans of spray paint that I used on the road surface for over 12 months before I used it as I used the same product different colour on my first track to cover a bank in a dirt look. It was rough when I put it on, like old scx track, but after a few wipes with the sanding block, it now feels like an interior wall painted with a roller. Just a slight texture to it.

The snow is a Heki product that simulates snow. It sure does look like sugar but sparkles when the light is on it right.

I will organise an overall shot soon, at 8ft x 4ft, its not very big but is more fun than the other larger tracks I have built.

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
I'm well impressed with the road surface...so realistic...clever product use. Can't wait for your over view shots. Good spot by Bleep on the snow & ice. Will check your wed page now

·
Registered
117 Posts
QUOTE (phoeno30 @ 15 Mar 2007, 23:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Work on my single lane routed track is going slowly but ok. Here are a few pics of its progress......

Looks like that guy needs to step on the gas to kick the tail out a bit. Nice

How long though, do you think that those people will last there. You need some careful control there, methinks (before letting kids play on it lower the voltage to around 5-ish
)

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
simple but fantastic, this post just needs a video to finish it off

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.