SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi guys,

Eventually after 20 years of collecting track and cars, I have finally created a static 4 lane circuit. The track consists of 95% classic and 5% sport track, which hopefully allow me to make the most of the new products being developed without ditching my old classic stuff. As I come across bargains of sport track i'll slowly upgrade it.

I have the scenery to start yet and some tweeking and cleaning of the track pieces. Having run the cars around all lanes I have found the inside lane is very tight in places and takes a little skill to get around alive. The outer 2 lanes are very fast but seem much longer, so hopefully when timed they will be similar in speed.

Some feedback would be great, especially from the hardened racers among you. I also have a few more track sections that i'm thinking of using, such as the single chicane and the hump back bridge. Will these pieces be a pain when racing and cause too much de-slotting.

I also have a problem with the power sections. I have decided to use the sport power sections and have four transformers. My issue, and it may sound stupid, but the two tracks are going in opposite directions. Is there a simple way of making the cars go the other on one of the tracks. It's simple with the classic track as you just reverse the connectore under the track.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I cheated and unscrewed the power unit from the base, spinned it around and screwed back on!
Scalextric do a sport power extension pack which allows you to put the actual base further from the track (so you can line up the bases next to each other), looks good but for cheapness sake you can just take the power bit off and solder new wires, spin it, I would imagine it is as easy as the classic track once you get inside.

·
David Moss
472 Posts
Love the track!

My track is the same combination of Classic and Sport, plus a little SCX. And again for the same reasons. The main one being the addition of RMS.

You must have taken some considerable time on planning that layout. You have managed to get a hell of alot of track into that space. But you have still come up with an interesting circuit. Nice long straights and some very challenging infield sections.

And two pitlanes!
You're just missing the track sections to put them on the same side.

From my experience, most racers would advise you to remove any crossovers or chicanes. They slow down the flow of a race and can damage cars. Personally I like them.
I find it adds to the excitement. It just depends on the racing manners of your track mates. It may be just luck, but I find that we both give way in fear of coming off!

One last thing, could you post a track plan please? I'd love to see the layout but I can't quite figure it out from the photos.

Keep us informed of your progress.
and well done!
Bacardibeast

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the positive replies guys. It's allways a little hit and miss when designing a layout, has it been done before, is it challenging enough, do I have the right pieces of track. As this is my first 4 lane circuit its nice to get some advice from you guys that build them regularly.

The track started off as a reproduction of a track that was in one of the scalextric catalogues from the 70's. But with lots pf space and track left, I decided to scrap that idea and start a fresh. I spent about a day fooling around with different sections that I liked and tried to link them up. Eventually I ended up with the track as shown.

I've managed to cram a fair bit of track onto a 12x8 board. I desperately wanted to include the hump back bridges as they look really good when scenery is added, but for racing I found them a pain for de-slotting.

I will create a track plan and post it on here so that you can see the actual plan, as the photos don't show the whole track. I ended up squeezed against the roof rafters, and contorting limbs around stud walls to take those photosb

Regards

Barrie

·
1 hp Trabant is not my real car
770 Posts
Hi Rayden,
QUOTE I desperately wanted to include the hump back bridges as they look really good when scenery is added, but for racing I found them a pain for de-slotting.
I had a humpback bridge, and found it a pain. I too liked the looks of the bridge, so came up with this solution... Fixed the bridge parapets to the sides of a skid chicane, a little bit of filling and painting and I think it looks quite good.

Cheers, Tom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.