SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have been playing with my Scalex digital set for a couple of years now so I am still a real newbie. I was going to Napier on business this week and managed to arrange to do some racing with the club in Hawkes Bay. Thanks to the help from slotcrazy on this forum. I really didn't know what to expect although I did expect to be a little out of my depth with serious slot racers who know all the technical intricacies I do not and have skills far beyond mine.
I arrived in the late afternoon and members trickled in after that one by one, a BBQ was cranked up for tea and the racing began. The racing was all new for me having never driven on wood and the round robin setup was easy and fun, I was really impressed. Te thing that made it all so great though was being welcomed the way I was.

Many thanks Hawkes Bay! You have a good bunch of guys, competitive but lighthearted fun racing and the banter was entertaining too.

I don't know if all clubs are like this, I hope so. So for anyone considering whether they should visit a club, I'd say do it for sure.

Cheers,
Damo.
P.S. sorry to anyone whose car I knocked off at the squeeze section, I hadn't driven rond one of those before. I guess next time though I'll have no excuses?!?!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Heya Damo

I'm back home a day early. Glad you were able to experience a club situation, and meet some of the guys. A few still away on Christmas/summer hols, but you can catch them next time you're in the Bay.

Don't worry about anyone you may have nerfed, we have a couple of "experts" in club to whose "heights" you could only aspire with much practice

You actually did really well for first time without magnets, and would only take a few weeks at club to be well into the pack.

You got to see three sorts of racing we do -

a formal club and nationals class - Group C, - - - We run them to same rules in club as the Nationals. Which is "stock, blueprinted"

Our first run with mixed brand Group 5, - on which we're feeling our way to see how me might set up rules for a club class.

And the Ninco short nose McLaren as one of my house classes.

slotmadmac, who is on this forum too, but was away on holiday on Thursday, we both have a number of sets of "house class" cars, as does another guy you didn't meet. We pull those out to play on our home track for all those reasons I mentioned.

ps. the bourbon is very smooth, I may even take to that one .......

·
re member
4,140 Posts
Damo

I hope you come back for another session soon.

munter

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
QUOTE (Damo @ 12 Jan 2013, 00:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't know if all clubs are like this, I hope so.

So do I, and from my experience of visiting many clubs over the last 20 years it is usually the case. So it saddens me that in the life time of SlotForum, there have been clubs that have closed due to lack of numbers.

QUOTE So for anyone considering whether they should visit a club, I'd say do it for sure.

And so would I! Perhaps some of those that have been thinking about visiting a local club could add it to their new year resolutions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
QUOTE (Damo @ 12 Jan 2013, 10:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>P.S. sorry to anyone whose car I knocked off at the squeeze section, I hadn't driven rond one of those before. I guess next time though I'll have no excuses?!?!

You did very well both marshalling and driving, considering we threw you in the deep end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts