SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing all the fantastic examples of scratch built and converted 60's F1 cars
, it got me thinking why not have a bash at something from the 70's.

Well by chance, sat in my parts bin was a couple of lonely looking old scalextric shadow F1s, after finding out they were the DN1 version raced around 1978 and getting a couple of images together - I was hoping someone might know where there might be further source material.

Below is a couple of pics I have already gathered.

Many thanks

Mark

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Mark,

The Shadow DN1 raced in 1973. I remember being quite taken aback when I first saw pictures of the car, because it looked so different from all the other F1 cars. Don Nichols' AVS company was well known for revolutionary concepts -- see this post about the Shadow Can-Am cars -- so it was a big disappointment to me that the DN1 was in fact just another 'kit car', made possible by the availability of the Cosworth engine and Hewland gearbox package.

The DN1 was designed by Tony Southgate and although not revolutionary on the technological front, it was very futuristic and quite beautiful in appearance.

Your DN1 need not be black. In 1973 Graham Hill set up his own Formula 1 team, for which he bought a Shadow DN1 with sponsorship from Embassy cigarettes. It was Shadow DN1/3A and it is owned today by David Rose, who still races it in historic Grand Prix races.

With kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Russell, as ever some awesome pics and a nice piece of history. Now I'm torn to what decals I get Iceman to make.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
These are some Scalextric "contemporaries" of your Shadow DN1:

Dimensionally these models tended to be rather strange: the Brabham BT44 (no.8) for example is way short in wheelbase but not far off from being correct in overall length.

Even with a little painting up though I think they can be made to look quite nice (must finish off painting Jody's helmet one day!) and I've certainly had a lot of fun with these cars down the years.

Good luck with your Shadow Mark

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
When I think of Shadow I always think of the great Welsh driver Tom Pryce, he burst onto the F1 scene with the Shadow and gave his much fancied team-mate J-P Jarier a big wake up call.

With a bit of filler, a file and elbow grease you could modify the Scalex car into the 1974 car that Tom drove so brilliantly.

Here's a couple of photos I took of Tom at the 1974 British GP.

David

·
Registered
153 Posts
Gecko,

I can't wait to see this project as you progress. I'm not very knowledgeable about this car, but I like it. How many models of the DN1 did Scalextric produce? I may have to pick one up off ebay. I did find a white one on ebay UK, but the rear wing seems strange to me and doesn't match the pictures in this thread.

Russell, John and Dennis, great job as always with the background information.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the extra info David, I have seen the 1974 Shadow before, but I think that the 1973 DN1 is closer to Scaley's rather poor vision.

Steve, there are usually loads of shadows for sale on ebay at really cheap prices, I mean I picked up 3 (2x black and 1x white) for just a couple of quid.

The rear wing is very different from the images that David and Russell have so kindly found - I think it is mostly to do with durability - some of those 70's F1s looked pretty fragile, and Scalextric either didn't feel the model was worth it, didn't have the tools or just couldn't be bothered!

Thanks for the info, will post progress pics as the car comes along.

Cheers

Mark

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
NUDGE!!!

Gecko any advance with this? i was shaping into an interesting project.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts