SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Althogh the Le Mans race at Wolves is still a long way in the future, I've taken some time out tonight to make a much earlier start than last year, on a car for the event. I've got an old Maserati 450 from Betta painted up, so I decided to build a chassis to go under it.

I started with some 0.016" brass strip, and bent it round an ali former to make a U shaped bracket, with holes drilled for the rear bearings. Then drilled another piece of brass strip to take the motor can bearing boss, and the 2 mounting screws. After some judicious trimming, I was able to get a good fit with the motor shaft lining up with the center of the rear axle (using one of Chas Keeling's alignment tools). I then soldered them together, with some piano wire bracing.





I then made 2 'waisted' main rails from 18g piano wire, and an 0.032" center section, drilled at 9/64" for the guide, and a slot at the rear to take a flexi torsion bar in 23g piano wire.





I then made more rails which will be torsion sprung from the rear, and which will have the side pans hung from the front.



More progress to follow - hopefully.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Dave - Saturday week, I'm planning to crack on with it again tonight.
I'm hoping it'll go a bit better than my ability at posting pictures ! but I don't have high hopes.
Look forward to seeing you all then.

Mark
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
Loads of time left yet Mark, I'm still looking at 2 painted bodies that need a chassis putting under one or the other!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to finish the Wolves Maser tonight. I've connected the side rails to packing pieces either side of the rear flexi bar, with another torsion bar, and have a joining brace passing through a piece of tube at the front. This will allow the twin rails (which will also have the side pan mounted on them) to lift at the front - a bit like a reverse iso.



I then hung the side pans (hinged) off the front, fitted a 'bite' bar in the center, and piano wire in tube at the back, to limit side pan movement. A few bits of PCB were then soldered on for body mounting and guide spacing, and a front axle soldered to an L shaped brass post.




Then it was just a matter of fitting some running gear, and the body.





Hopefully it'll be more successful than the 250F I built for Early Birds, or I get Chris Adams to check it over for broken joints BEFORE the event rather than AFTER !

See you for practice on the afternoon of 28th, and hopefully for the highlight of the weekend - great company at the Saturday evening meal.

Mark
 

·
re member
Joined
·
4,131 Posts
I love your chassis...it looks like it will be fast.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top