SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have currently started to make Mini's the major part of my collecting and there are definitely enough to keep me searching for some time.

Does anyone know of a good online reference I can use that catalog the slot car Mini's that have been produced?

I received a Scalextric Mini 1275 GT Rally Special C122 in yellow off flee bay yesterday and wanted to ask, did it come with a decal sheet, as you can find so many variations of the same issue.

What is everyone's opinion on refurbishing cars?

Keep them has they are or polish them up, paint & re-livery (depending on the state of them)

·
Premium Member
8,009 Posts
Really nice cars to collect Scott.
There were 3 versions of the c122 , all available in red & yellow between 1976-1979. Scaley cars of this period came with decal sheets.
Type 1 & 2 had chequered roof & a plain body. They were only different because of of the front fixing body(narrow type 1, wide type 2).
Type 3 is the version with the factory numbers & stripes on the body.
In 1980 the clubman was revamped. c110 was the white livery. c112 was in green.
1982 saw the release of the two Mini Clubman banger racers.c290 Mad Hatter in blue & c292 Mini Ha-Ha in red.
As for the Mini Cooper, it`ll keep you busy for years collecting all of them!
Why not treat yourself to Roger Gillhams Scalextric Ultimate Guide (7th ed.)?
Good luck in your endeavours.
Cheers
Kev

·
Premium Member
3,293 Posts
Two of my first slot cars was a pair 1275GTs as pictured below, I seem to recall they came with the decal sheet with various number plates, Gulf, Valvoline logos etc.

Mine have had a lot of use and were always great fun, the red one has had the benefit of being lowered and is still used.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,639 Posts

·
Alfie Noakes
2,639 Posts
QUOTE (loosesalute @ 12 May 2011, 15:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Best things about these cars is you can steep their bodies in a warm fairy liquid solution & they come up like new.

Or not...

Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kev,

The fairy liquid and warm water worked an absolute treat. I did my newly bought Mini C2103, C2104, C2244 and C122 and cleaned out chassis's and re-greased them and replace braids.
They are great fun to run round the track and sound a lot smoother now.

The decals on the c122 where in a right state so removed them whilst cleaning and I see Pendle sell the decals so may add some more. I'm going to replace the tires where needed.
It's the first time I have bought a older car and now seeing them refurbished is great, I feel a new addiction looming.

RSPCM (Taking battered Mini Coopers in and re-homing them)

Scott

·
Premium Member
8,009 Posts
Nice one Scott. They are a lovely car to have.
My preference in tyres is the Ortmanns from RSSlotracing . The quality of Ortmanns tyres is excellent & Colins service & prices are second to none.
Cheers,
Kev

PS I see you are using Sport Track. The Ortmanns will give you better grip on it`s smooth surface.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Just picked this up off Flee Bay to add to my collection of mini's. I understand there were 1000 made and wonder how many of these are un-used floating about.

I paid £45 in the end which I have seen two others go for so guess I haven't bagged a bargain but hey I only have to buy it once.

Do they appear quite often?

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
A Murder of Minis

I don't know how this disaster happened. Clearly my Mini experience has gotten out of control. Maybe C76 Minis breed in captivity, cause one day I opened the slot car box and there were five of the little buggers in there. And now there are six. The one in the middle will get the usual clean/overhaul/repair.

QUOTE What is everyone's opinion on refurbishing cars? Keep them has they are or polish them up, paint & re-livery (depending on the state of them)
If a car is complete and unbroken, I'll usually just clean and polish. But if the car has damage, sometimes I'll make replacement parts and repaint. That was the plan for these Minis. But every time I'd get a new one, thinking that it would be ratty and that I could paint and modify, it would arrive in good condition. Just a clean and polish brings them back to like-new condition, so now I can't get myself to paint these cars.

From various things I've read, my impression is that the C76 Mini was seen as slow and finicky. Consequently, many of them didn't get used much and therefore survive in good condition today.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.