SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From time to time there is discussion regarding "getting new blood into the hobby". And that is typically about it...mostly discussion.

I have a variable power supply and two-stage Parmas to roughly match 16v and 20.5v settings, so that newbies and children can participate without just detonating into the wall. And over the years, many kids have played with the set, mostly in law kids. While they enjoy it, none have asked to come back repeatedly, and none have asked for their "own" car.

Until now. My grandson, a chip off the old block of my son, who is a chip off the block of his old man. He is four. And he wants to race! The first thing with little children is getting them to understand which lane they are in and to actually be able to follow the car around the track with their head/eyes. He latched right on to that on the first day.

Second day I said "time for your own car", which do you want? He picked an '82 Corvette, similar to his Father's.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

The little feller has gone from "one speed" on the controller to randomly squeezing and letting off, the first step to actually "driving" the thing.

To say that I am proud, and bordering on emotional, would be an understatement.

If you have a similar story, feel free to share it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Atta boy X2slotbob! Awesome, congratulations. I think I told you my youngest (for another 8 weeks or so) granddaughter had such a blast with my HO set that we're giving her a 1/32 set for Valentine's. Fun, ain't it?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
1/32 is pretty neat and was my first scale back in '62 or so. But the fad "went away" and Dad sold the routed & banked (!) 4x8' figure eight track he built. Boy, was I bummed.

My buddy-- and other kids in the neighborhood-- were racing HO, and I could afford it on my own with lawn mowing money by then, and so... boxes of Aurora.

Eventually I sold that, and a year later couldn't stand it and bought a low end tyco figure eight track, and...repeat (and then some).

The basic question for those with limited space--do I want two lanes or four? It is cool racing with my Son and Grandson, and there is still an extra lane! On the other hand, the coolness factor and realism of 1/32 is undeniable.

I am sure your granddaughter will love it! (Keep "your" car at your house, trust me)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
There is no question about which scale to go for... Pretty much all of them!

I have a 1/32 and HO track set up. Plus several large 1/43 systems in boxes yet.

This AFX set is on hinges and folds up against the wall.

Hood Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive design

This 1/32 Scalextric set doubles as a workbench. The two 4'x4' plywood sheets seen on the right get installed on top of the track when not in use. A few spacer blocks go in the middle of the table where the Mustangs are sitting to support the plywood top.
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Wood Race track

I simply don't have the real estate to run 1/24 with everything else going on. Choices eh?

I still need to figure out where to install/hide the 1/43 track without the wife having a fit (another one). :)

Congrats on your grandson being your newest co-racer!!! That is very cool.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Sniff ... what a great age !

The torch (controller) gets passed to another generation.

We always started with some select old Aurora vibrators. No need to turn anything down or modify controllers. LOL!

They're not blistering fast, so they get to experience the full stroke of the controller action from slow to fast right away. The cull bodies are pretty thick and robust. They slide around naturally with throttle inputs, so they learn recovery skills from the get go.

Then comes stock T-jet, and then magnet cars. I have an entire fleet of runners, but everyone loves racen' and bangen' the T-jet Willys. Only the vintage AFX is off limits.

Good times Bob!

·
Registered
152 Posts
The early Aurora-era AFX are some I would consider as 'vintage AFX' - it arrived on the scene straight after the T-Jet and just before the Magnatraction - the pancake chassis that do not have tiny fine coil springs underneath the motor brushes but rather leaf springs that are moulded as a part of the conductor plates that are riveted to the bottom of the chassis.
But I guess even the basic model Magnatraction can be considered as 'vintage AFX' because it's commonly understood that anything older than 25 years is considered as 'vintage' and since the Magnatraction platform began it's circulation in the mid 1980's hence it would easily past the 'vintage' test on that front....

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Yup. AFX and Magnatraction pancakes. After Tuff Ones and before G-Plus.

Not every AFX is a Magna, but every Magna is an AFX.

Off limits for kids. Ancient thin bodies on faster chassis is not learner fodder. Grandpa only.

·
Registered
187 Posts
X2slotbob it was simple economics. I got a brand new Policar Subaru set for $100. And it's actually a very small footprint with 4 different layout options. She can play with the HO here and if she stays with it we'll get her one eventually. Nice layouts KensRedZed. Has me looking forward to finalizing layouts and getting ours mounted. Final until we demo the old shop and put up new building anyway. Then who knows what will happen ha ha.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The chassis at the top of the photo is a Magnatraction and the bottom one is a plain-jane 'AFX'. As previously mentioned, the motor brushes in the Magnatraction are loaded on tiny coil springs whereas the brushes in basic AFX are sitting on the conductor plates that also act as brush springs. The motor magnets in the Magnatraction are more exposed an also sits slightly closer to the track rails for additional magnetic downforce hence the name...

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Camera lens Film camera Reflex camera

·
Rich Dumas
3,980 Posts
Notice that Aurora used the term A/FX, I believe that meant Aurora Factory Experimental. I use A/FX for the cars introduced in 1971 and Magnatraction for the cars introduced in 1974. After Tomy took over the Aurora line they used the AFX term for their cars and Racemasters has continued to do that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts