SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a bit bored waiting for the Guys to finish their P68's so I was looking around for a new project.

Found this little lost soul on ebay and felt something had to be done to extend it's little life :-

As you can see it is not in the best condition, but I always did like a Challenge.

Oh!...That's a big one you've got in there Sir!...

I think I'll make a new chassis and new interior, and a bit of engine detail wouldn't go amiss, fit new wheels and something must be done about the guide sitting way out front of the body. Could possibly give it a new paint job, or get Mrs H to knit a cover to hide it under.

There is a problem repainting these old Scalextric cars regarding the composition of the plastic, but there is usually a way around these problems, only thing is you have to find it!.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I would have thought that one of Mrs H's knitted woolen Ferrari cosies would be the kindest thing to do in this case, but on the other hand I have great confidence in your abilities, silk purse/sow's ear wise, BJ!

Still trying to locate that special polypropelene paint myself... now where was it on the Forum before?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mmmmm...
Is it the Scalextric P4 (# C16)?
It's hard to believe it's the same car of the picture by philsmith, can you please post a photo of the chaissis, too? (I'm assuming the car has a new chaissis.)
Another car in the to-do list...

Alan: my P4 has a different guide from yours:

Ciao
Otello

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Otello

I think it's ment to be a P3 although I could never tell the difference between the two!.

Phil....I saw Anthony's car in Patto's Gallery some time ago, but I didn't realise you bought the collection, some very nice cars there.

Take a look at Phil's other cars for sale and his wonderful gallery at :-

http://www.scaleslotcars.com/. I'm sure he is far too modest to publish a link to his own site.

As far as the chassis goes, think of the cars closest rival, and you have the answer. My idea is to make it as equal as possible with the XXXXXXXX so that they can run together, as they did at Le Mans in 66, Well until the three Ferrari's crashed!. the chassis fit is almost perfect with a little Dremmel work and it is possible to use the mounting holes just with a little bit of mounting tube extension.

Paint is interesting, I've really heavily sanded mine down and removed all the moulding lines, (not easy with the type of plastic used), and then used an Enamel Primer and main coat. Seems to be fine and gives a nice finish, I've just got to make some Decals and an engine cover and it should be finished. The lights are all wrong together with the windsreen and the front wings are fair too full, but I don't really want to alter the shape of the car.

I've got one of Victor's (Truescale) excellent P4 Lexan shells coming so it will make a nice contrast to this car.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
759 Posts
Nice thread! I have one of these in the making too. I was given the body by the great Ged (of Geds toy and model spares and repairs) in Melbourne, as a going back overseas present when I left Australia last year (amongst other bits and pieces, Thanks a lot again!!!). It had a broken wind screen, but I got a new one through Pendleslot, so I was back in business. I made a flat pan inline chassis for it and it ran great! But I made the mistake of painting it with just normal acrylic Tamiya paint, and that chipped of quite easily, so I needed to stripe all that of. Not having done that before I hesitated a bit, but eventually I went about it anyway. I found ths site about paint stripping: BSA - Paint strippers! and decided to try a degreaser. I couldn't find the castrol one locally, so I just tried another one (biodegradable weak stuff) I had at home. And it all came of after two days of soaking in the stuff, it also seemed to roughen the surface slightly. Then I repainted the body with Humbrol elamel paint and it seames to stick a little better. I'll try to get some pictures of it.

Cool if this thread could develop like the P68 thread!

Now I'm of to watch the San Marino Grand Prix... (just on TV of course) Go Button!

Toby

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Seems like Jenson was listening to you, Toby!

I have a Lancer P4 now, thanks to Al Penrose- but the blessed thing looks soooo beautiful as it is I'm petrified of starting to paint it up. Glad to hear that Truescale have one- I might be prepared to risk that. But I have to say I think the P4 is one of the most gorgeous cars ever built, and that Scaley model didn't do it justice. It must be an uphill climb to get looking as good as Mr Bartlett's one.

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
The scalextric power and glory re-release of the P4 is made of a much harder plastic that should take paint easily, this is probably the best one to try and get hold of.
If anyone wants a cheap unboxed one I have three sitting on the shelf.

·
Registered
166 Posts
To be honest Alan, I didnt quite know where to start.

I am a complete novice to scratch building slot cars and I took one look at the underside of the body shell and another look at the 512 chassis that I bought for it and thought that it might be a bit beyond me.

That was a while back though and am learning fast with the construction of my layout and just as importantly, picking up new tools and equipment on the way so I am now much better prepared to attempt anything like it again.....he says with a grimmace !!!!!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Very nice work guys! There sure are some beauties in here already, and I can only hope mine will turn out that well too!

GBmark, if you have a sheet of brass lying around you could try to make a simple chassis like I did for mine. It's really quite simple, just bend a flat piece of brass up along the edges, and drill holes for the axles, fix a guide mount then superglue the motor onto the brass base. The only hard thing is getting the positioning and size of the axleholes just right. You could also make them a little to big and then simply glue normal bearings in place to avoid any axle play. Superglue is stronger than you might think

Here are som in progress shots of mine:

I first carved away all the old schmootz under the car (guide mounts etc), then I glued the body mounting posts in with superglue, and then attached the brass chassis to it, and presto!
I might remake the chassis, and try to squeze a torsion bar sidewinder in there. But the thing is, it runs very well as it is though. The biggest reason for a sidewinder would of course be to fit a full interior in there. I'm not sure what I'll make the interior out of though, any ideas? I have been looking a bit at the ones from Maxi models, but that might be a little overkill for this car. The engine detail on this car is another thing I'm not sure of. Was the engine all visible through the rear window, or was there a red sheet covering most of it? I'm dreading having to make twelve inlet stacks from of aluminium tubing like I did for the P68...

Does anyone here know of a good site with pics of the real P4's? I've been searching the web a little and mostly come up with pictures of replicas.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Coming along nicely Toby

howmet, the Lancer P4 was one of the most beautiful shells EVER produced and I'd love to see you build it up. Surely it deserves a better fate than just hanging on the workshop wall alongside the Airfix baggies! I know, dont call you Surely

By the way Mark - I think your car looks great. I guess you have enough on your plate making scenery for your track but it would be good to see your P4 with a motor too! If the metal work puts you off you could still make something similar to Toby's chassis using thick plasticard for example.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I don't know about websites, Toby, but as far as I know the P4 had an engine cover painted in body colour (almost inevitably red) visible through the rear window (or completely exposed on the spyder). The inlet stacks were bent round ninety degrees to breathe sideways. But you don't have to put them in as they won't show! All hidden under two little bulges in that rear deck!

Agree about the Lancer shell, JP. I'm still terrified of tackling it. The lexan's so thin I'm frightened I'm going to cut through it when I start masking. I keep looking at it and putting it away again.

Perhaps one of the US experts could tell us the Lancer story? Who carved the moulds? How did they get those beautiful undercuts that no-one else seems to have managed? How did they get the plastic so crystal clear? Absolute works of art they are. I've got a 2F, Mirage, Honker and now the P4. How many others are still around?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Talking of Ferraris, just thought I'd show my Airfix kit, with added filler! Love the 250LM, but the Airfix model is a disaster. I finally got to grips with the problem by filling and reshaping the nose, adding a little 'roll-under' to the sidepanels, cutting the roof down and filing away the 'orrible thick back end of the cabin and filling the rear deck out. The kit windscreen still fits perfectly well, but the side profile has much more of the mean and muscley look of the original now. The standard model, below for contrast, runs on a simple aluminium pan chassis with S can inline and Ninco (of course) wheels. Goes like a bomb. Which is annoying because it's so unsophisticated. The new version will get a posh little brass anglewinder chassis which will not handle half as well...

1 - 20 of 138 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.