SlotForum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Lola the new king of the 'out of the box' grid? I think so.

It blew me away.

But then I like all the recent Fly EVO releases so I had to review them together...

Fly EVO Racing - the review..

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
Excellent review Swiss. I enjoyed reading it and will get myself a print to file and read again for future reference. I already own a Porsche and was thinking of buying a Saleen, but the new Lola has got me thinking

M

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I have updated the review, within one hour of publishing it, Fly contacted Gaugemaster after reading it and wished me to add the info you will see on the review.

Enjoy!

I just noticed that it looks like the new magnet Porsche seems to have the smaller Fly Racing motor again. Interesting, wonder if that implies that the smaller one handles better with a magnet than the larger version?

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
QUOTE Fly contacted Gaugemaster...

You mean they are silently moving amongst us.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE You mean they are silently moving amongst us.

Whoa! I tell you " they're out there man!"

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
That review was my idea!!! Ask anyone in the chatroom a couple of weeks ago...

Grumble, grumble...

Anyway, well done on the review it's better than mine would have been (yeah, right
). Agree on the Lola issue. I just got one and tryed it on my test track. The track is only a small modified oval but the Lola was as quick as it's magneted counter-part. I can imagine it being the fastest non-mag that I own, so I'll be racing it in this years LGTC. Although it will be far from standard, in fact I've had it for about an hour and it's already completly modified

Lotus

·
Registered
86 Posts
QUOTE (Swissracer @ 26 Apr 2004, 16:43)I just noticed that it looks like the new magnet Porsche seems to have the smaller Fly Racing motor again. Interesting, wonder if that implies that the smaller one handles better with a magnet than the larger version?

Well, it makes sense, as the smaller motor is lighter, too.
But IMHO the reasons for using again the short can motor are:

- To use a magnet with the long can motor they'd make a new chassis, this way they may use again the chassis of the first version of the Porsche.

(Actually, I haven't had the new magnet car in my hands, I don't know it really it is the same chassis of the first version.)

- The long motor has a shorter shaft, so the motor is slightly closer to rear axel (about 1 mm.), maybe there's not enough space for the magnet with the long motor?

By the way, the 2 chassis are quite different: the magnet-less one is more flexible.
I know very well, as I tried for weeks to use the first model without magnet and the car handled very bad, while my friends Porsches were rockets.
Then I realized my friends used the magnet-less version of the chassis...

Ciao
Otello

P.S. Beautiful review Swiss, really enjoyed it!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great review Swiss. The wheels are of interest to me for possible use on some projects. Is there any info as to dimesions and what axle dia. Will a Slotit axle work? Will the silicones of their plastic couterparts work.
Thanks for any info.

DE38

·
Matt Tucker
3,549 Posts
nice piece of work Swiss.

I have to say well done to Fly for listening and putting in a solution to stop their motor popping out. I'm sure they will work on a more aesethitically pleasing solution but they have listened and spent a few more euros in production time to ensure they resolved it. Well done Fly
, it is appreciated.
Matt

·
Registered
154 Posts
can only echo matt's sentiments re fly
great review very imformative and well presented.
Just on a similar theme it would be very helpful if more reviews like this one appeared on the forum carried out by the more technically able members here for us less able newcomers to take a lead from. Its always very helpful as an aid to purchasing futher slot cars when members here review/critique cars.
I know they can be time consuming but as a newcomer they are very much appreciated and keep up the good work !!

kev an the lil one connor

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
It is an interesting read and Fly do appear to have upped the anti in this hotly contested area of the slot car market. To offer cars that blow away the competition does give a company a lot of street cred as the jungle drums bang around the slot clubs of Europe. The extra detail (weight?) on a Slot.It may be a disadvantage in this league.

Do you think I might now win a race if I pick up one of those Fly Lola cars?

Moped

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Simple Answer Mope Probably not, but then neither would I.

Great review Swiss, I like the format very much.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
549 Posts
Another excellent, fair review Swiss, thank you and well done. I look forward to the new Porsche being added to it.

Aaron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts