SlotForum banner

A Porsche thread

197K views 3K replies 91 participants last post by  42redcat 
Love that 908/3, Martin. I still haven't got one. A grave omission, which is why I'm impatient for swapmeets to resume.
If I understand the post correctly, there’s an NSCC swapmeet in Leeds on Oct 10. Long way to drive, though……

Mike

A 909 would be a most welcome addition to the Porsche slot fold. The factory only built two cars, but Ferrari had the upper hand during the 1968 Mountainclimbing Championship with the 212E.

A lightweight, agile, 2-litre, flat-8 the 909 provided impetus for the development of the all-conquering 908/3 introduced in 1970.

Jus' sayin'.
Here’s another one:

Mike

This is my SRC Porsche 914. An interesting looking car that stands out from the crowd. I am surprised no one made this as a RTR car before SRC.

View attachment 283097
In the U.K. at least, I dont think it was regarded as a ‘proper’ Porsche. I believe it was originally intended to be marketed as a VW and it used the engine from the VW van 🙂 in the 914 version. The 916, of course, used a Porsche engine.

Mike

Mike

The air-cooled flat-4 in the original 914 - launched in 1969 - was from VW's Type 4 range of saloons. There are so few 411s and 412s left today that many are pushed to even recall what they looked like.
Not everybody has forgotten. I was being mischievous mentioning the van. This article on the Jalopnik website quotes: “Really, the Type 4 engine was the most successful part of the whole (411/412) project, as it got used (in up to a mind-blowing 100 horsepower form) in the Porsche 914 and 912e, as well as going on to power the Type 2 buses into the Vanagon era.”

I must admit I thought the 912 used a version of the 356 engine, but maybe not?

Hopefully this link works:

I Discovered A VW Mystery That's Been Hiding In Plain Sight — Jalopnik

The width converts to about 52.5 mm. This is the scale discussion again.
If you want to fit the Fly car, you are about 10% over width, as mine measures 57mm. But a SW won't fit under a 52mm wide body.
The Airfix/MRRC Porsche 906 is about 52mm wide. A Scalextric BMW Mini chassis (sidewinder) just fits under it if you don’t mind keeping the narrow wheels.
Mike
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle

A bargain: £4 from yesterday’s NSCC swapmeet in Leeds. A great opportunity to replenish my stock of parts and spares, too. The Porsche runs quite well after a bit of work, but it must have one of the slowest Johnson motors in existence! Apart from my metal-bodied VW bus, it’s the only car I have which can take the ‘esses’ on my short track flat out!
Wheel Vehicle Car Tire Motor vehicle
More work needed…..
Mike

Below, an experimental Porsche from the 1970s, which has always amused me. The design office set out to make a car from 'special' materials that would last for a minimum of 25 years.

Not sure why they bothered considering the number of Beetles that have lasted so well. View attachment 284055
Did the sell the design to AMC for their Pacer?😸

What a classic sports car season was 1970! See how everyone is hanging back waiting for the accident as Pedro Rodriguez and Jo Siffert bang wheels on the first lap going into Eau Rouge!
Mike

Ah - you’ve caught me out! It’s not properly finished. I just did a trial fit to see if it went together, then couldn’t resist a quick run without magnets. It went surprisingly well despite the lack of exhaust and the driver slumped over the wheel.
Hopefully I’ll get it finished this week if I can resist the temptation to start all the new projects I got at Gaydon…..
Mike