SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Collect and race Strombecker primarily, but have other makes, too.
207 Posts
I thought there were some racing versions of the Ninco "Speedster" and the coupe'?

EDIT: Ah, I read too hastily. YOUR cars are not racing versions. Gotcha.

Andre

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not my car, but I think the little Scalextric 550 is a wonderful little car. For some reason it's I find its simplistic charm quite appealing:

Last night I missed out on my first ever Scalextric bid (sniped at the last second), and yes, it was a 550 (the red one pictured below) that looked very nice. I intended to use it as a "test car" to see how Scalextric did things "back then" (I know nothing about the workings of vintage Scalextric), as well as seeing how its performance would be once cleaned/etc. That all done, it would have to pass the SF test. (The "Smile Factor" test: That is, to see if it puts a smile on my face when running it about the track.)

Ah well... maybe next time!

Andre

·
Registered
207 Posts
Matthew:

The little red 550 did indeed have the open frame "train" motor.

I heartily agree with your "the simple design of old Scalextric cars gives them a lot of charm aesthetically" statement!

I do hope I like what I see and "feel" once I have one on the track. There are several vintage Scalextric cars I would be interested in owning and running/play racing. I like almost all of the Scalextric vintage roadsters, some of their GT's, and almost all of their front engine GP's. Lastly, I like some of their early 60s rear engine GP's.

However, for now I'm trying to gather up the Strombecker cars of interest... but I tried to get that 550! Just wasn't to be at this time.

Andre

·
Registered
207 Posts
Errr......OK you got me on that one .

Anyways, back to the "A Porsche Thread" subject.

Do you think this guy needs to watch a few more videos on how to start a car before he attempts it again, and especially in front of a crowd?

The title "PORSCHE 917 FAIL" is somewhat misleading as the car didn't fail, wereas this guy in my view most certainly did!!

Porsche 917 Fail
That sir, is an idiot. He could have really screwed the pooch (severely hurt himself or others) with that stupidly inept move.

Andre

·
Registered
207 Posts
<snip: some good stuff>
Bravo!

Some very interesting reading, there Zippy! I suspect many of us have similar memories of the hobby shops of our youth.

Also, I'll bet there were (are) more than two of us here that used to stare longingly at the models with imagination-stirring box art thereon.

So Trish paints those evocative Porsche-inspired paintings I'm seeing in this thread? Wow. I'm impressed. (AND, make that three of us that like box art!)

As for Porche, I've always liked the 904. Very elegant lines for a GT. However, of late, I've noticed that the Porsche 550 and the RS series roadsters capture my imagination more than the 904. Further, IF I were to spend hobby money to acquire another 1/32 Porsche slot car, it would be spent on acquiring a vintage Scalextric 550!

All for now!

Cheers!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Model box art started to disappear when certain countries introduced laws that the packaging had to show the actual contents and not an impression. Which is why you started to get boxes with a photo of the made up model, but unpainted, on the box lid.
Dear me. I had no idea why they disappeared. I always thought it was cost: It cost more to commission a painter to render a scene than pay a photographer to shoot the model for the cover. I guess not!

Andre

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi All:

I'm watching a 1961 era video titled "British Racing Green". The film is getting ready to show the '61 GT race at Goodwood. (just finished watching Sir Sterling Moss win the F1 race at Silverstone!) As the cars were being lined up, I saw this Porsche GT:

Anyone know what version/model/whatever that is? Seems too low and stretched to be a 356-based car. A GT RS?

Kind of like it.

Andre

·
Registered
207 Posts
LOVELY picture, Trish!

SO much to see in it. The Abarth, Sunbeam, Berlinetta, a BREADVAN, P class Ferrari's, etc. Then there's the background: The signage, Dunlop bridge, and more. Wow.

I've saved that picture to my "Prototype Race Cars" folder as another visual example of racing during that era. Thanks for posting it!

Abarth:

The resin project is looking very nice.

I've never built a resin car (it would seem to me that it would be very hard to get a smooth finish on the paint), but that one would be tempting.

Andre

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Trish!

Thanks for your encouragement. (Enabling? :ROFLMAO: )

I do have a couple of resin cars among the trays of my oval car stash, a 1957 Ford and a 64 Chevelle:

Hood Building Flooring Composite material Gas

These two resins were going to be built to support my digital "dirt oval" concept of several years ago that faltered to a stop. At the time, I figured being dirt cars, and the way their prototype inspirations lived a rough and tumble life, if my paint finishes didn't turn out nice and smooth, well, no biggie.

I do think you are quite correct: If one wants to venture out of the norm, resin is a viable option. Resin opens up a whole new world of car bodies for my 1950s - early 1960s era span for road and GP racing.

Andre

·
Registered
207 Posts
The coupé version of the RS 718 at Le Mans, 1961, driven by Jo Bonnier and Dan Gurney. It gave up in the twenty third hour with a broken crankshaft, and was parked outside a rather nice, and typically French, shed.

Another rarity as a slot model. View attachment 281779
LOVE that little car!

Charming picture: Modern tech in racing sitting beside primitive technology and architecture.

Andre

1 - 20 of 20 Posts